Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

I have been busy with son who is still recuperating from the cervical fusion, necessitated by injuries sustained in a vehicular accident where he was hit by a driver who crossed lanes into him.

All other treatments failed leaving this surgery. Son cleared for work on February 1. Officially will have to wear cervical collar for six months.

Husband officially retires from practice after 49 years this coming week. An amazing journey and to think he loved his job. Can't think of many who do.

Our cruise is coming up on March 31. I think this may be our last cruise for some time. I feel cruised out, maybe it's just the cruise line which has been somewhat of a disappointment of late. While unable to sleep last night I came across a website with some gorgeous pictures of England, aptly named PicturesOfEngland.com. I am thinking I would like to do some independent travel in a country, much as I have done in Italy. The website has whetted my appetite.!

Sorry that I had not responded earlier on Spins' news about her son, husband retiring, upcoming travels, etc. Is your son continuing to progress well from his cervical fusion as he is back at work? Not fun stuff!! Especially when it was caused by a bad driver and was not your son's fault. Is your husband totally retiring, cold-turkey, from the practice of law or just down-shifting to less hours and worries?

Was interested in your comments about being a little "burned out" on cruising. Since we will be on the Silver Spirit in mid June, Lisbon to Rouen, we will be very, very interested as to your updates, likes, tips, insights, etc. Looking to know more about this ship, the staff, etc., from your trans-Atlantic sailing, plus the time in Lisbon as you head towards our beloved Barcelona. Tell us more!! Love to learn more specific details and background on the Silver Spirit, Lisbon, etc.

Yes, will check out that PicturesofEngland website. Have it on our future "to-do" list to explore more in the UK, including for Jeff's excellent suggestion on spending more time, in-depth, to live like a "Real Englishman"!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,308 views for these postings.

Hello all.

Safe journey JP.

Jeff, that pasta looks decadent.

Sophia get well!

Mysty, hope the travel issues resolve. I understand anyone's reticence to come to or through the USA at this time.

Terry, son back at work. Husband retired from practice of medicine, Twas I who was the barrister. I will certainly let you know about the Spirit. We have been onboard many times, she's like an old friend. Crew are remarkable group.

Tomorrow is the super bowl, no dog in the fight but not like Brady much although I admire his achievements at age 39.

Planning on bringing food to son and watching it at his house.

Enjoy the weekend. Weather here is spectacular!

Terry, son back at work. Husband retired from practice of medicine, Twas I who was the barrister. I will certainly let you know about the Spirit. We have been onboard many times, she's like an old friend. Crew are remarkable group. Tomorrow is the super bowl, no dog in the fight but not like Brady much although I admire his achievements at age 39. Planning on bringing food to son and watching it at his house. Enjoy the weekend. Weather here is spectacular!

Appreciate these updates from Spins. Glad son is progressing. Sorry to mix your husband up by labeling him as one of those "lawyers"!! That was a low-blow of a medical doctor. Just joking.

Yes, I like and cheer Tom Brady very much, especially at the amazing athlete age of 39. But, could your like of him be about his being a Michigan grad? In 1999, it was Tom Brady throwing for two touchdowns in the final 16 minutes to rally the Wolverines from a seven-point deficit to defeat archrival Ohio State, 24-17, in Michigan Stadium. But in 1998, Tom Brady set three Michigan single-game records with 31 completions, 56 attempts and 375 passing yards, but could get his team in the end zone only once. Seventh-ranked Ohio State won 31-16. Since 2001, Ohio State has won 14 of these 16 match-ups versus Michigan. Sorry to be so 21st Century in my detailed reporting!!

Weather super sunny right now in Central Ohio. That sun makes things so, so nice. See more below. WOW, a high Tuesday here of 62F??!! Fourteen of those 21 days will be 40F or higher. That's not bad for a February in the Midwest.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 220,500 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For the next three weeks before we depart for Ft. Lauderdale and a Panama Canal cruise, here is what AccuWeather is projecting for Central Ohio in February. Not too cold or bad!! But, going south will be warmer and better!:

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-04%20at%2012.02.27%20PM_zpsovgrxfme.png

I will certainly let you know about the Spirit. We have been onboard many times, she's like an old friend. Crew are remarkable group.

Yes, forgot to mention that I will be very, very much interested in your keen and smart insights as to how to maximize our first experience sailing on the Silver Spirit in mid June. Plus, tips on the crew members who will be there through later June.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 208,415 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Stumblefoot,

I am used to Terry's gloating over Michigan. Not hurt me any more. We have Harbaugh and a la Ruby and the Romantics, our day will come. Go Blue

I meant to write you when you mentioned the snow pack. We have a place at the Beav, but haven't used it in awhile. The altitude finally got to me as did the multiple snow snakes.

;-)

Stumblefoot,

I am used to Terry's gloating over Michigan. Not hurt me any more. We have Harbaugh and a la Ruby and the Romantics, our day will come. Go Blue

I meant to write you when you mentioned the snow pack. We have a place at the Beav, but haven't used it in awhile. The altitude finally got to me as did the multiple snow snakes.

Well, at least you aren't a long suffering Illini fan, like me. I used to tell people that we are a basketball school with a football problem, but I don't even believe that little phrase any longer. I'm just glad my Master's degree came from Northwestern now that we're respectable in sports. Speaking of which, I really hope they make it to their first ever NCAA basketball tourney this year. March Madness will be as exciting as when we went to the Rose Bowl back in the 90's.

Also, I enjoyed your comment about Beaver Creek. We love it there; the mountain, the restaurants, the village, and on-and-on. We live about 90-miles away and it's our preferred ski mountain. Truly a first class place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, forgot to mention that I will be very, very much interested in your keen and smart insights as to how to maximize our first experience sailing on the Silver Spirit in mid June. Plus, tips on the crew members who will be there through later June.

No worries Terry, I will post about it.

WOW!! Good luck to J.P. and Chris with those serious and challenging logistics in order to reach India. I would love to visit there. My wife is not as excited about some of the challenges and conditions in that country. Hopefully things will work out in the future for us to get there. Amazing history, architecture, etc., there. Look forward to hearing more about this great adventure there.

I understand your wife's reticence to visit India. After 30 years of balking at the thought of going, I decided that it was time. So, with a positive attitude, we visited India (via cruise ship). While there were some definite challenges (the heat being the biggest), the food was some of the best we have tasted, the Taj Mahal and other architecture was a feast for the eyes. Quite an amazing trip. Having said that, it would take another 30 years to entice me to go again.

The next (and thankfully last) place that we will be visiting that I'm not thrilled about is the Amazon (I have seen your lovely pictures of the Amazon which I enjoy - probably more than actually being there). Again, I concern myself with the heat. The U.K. has a device (still being tested) that you wear on your wrist and it keeps you cool - in any weather. There is a chance that it will debut in 2017 - before our trip (fingers crossed).

Lastly (finally), your weather forecast looks better than ours.:)

TC2, that's why we're going now. Weather is 70s in Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur. 80s in Kolkata. And it's much warmer than home! Perfect in my book. :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Yes - the temperatures are cooler in Delhi and even cooler in Agra (still warm - just not hot and humid). Have not been Kolkata. Hope that your trip is as memorable as ours was. Enjoy every moment!

jellyjones: Google "Wristify" - there are several articles, a Facebook page and a few photos of this device (there is all information at this website http://www.embrlabs.com/ )

jellyjones: Google "Wristify" - there are several articles, a Facebook page and a few photos of this device (there is all information at this website http://www.embrlabs.com/ )

Ah yes, one of those websites with lots and lots and lots of scientific sounding buzzwords ... and 'testimonials' ...

Even by their own admission, it doesn't touch the laws of physics, it's more to do with psychology and perceptions, with perhaps a tiny hint of, as yet, unproven physiology.

I guess you can do your own test to see if it works for you since it is only a high tech, lithium battery operated, hands-free method of holding an ice cube to one of your radial arteries for three seconds, removing it for three seconds, and repeating this endlessly.

If it works I'd be worried that it'd be dangerous in high ambient temperatures as the normal warning signs to the body of core over-heating could become confused, and you could be at risk of heatstroke.

And if it doesn't work, but you choose to buy it anyway, well at least it'll only be a danger to your wallet.

Edited by jollyjones

Good afternoon Coolers ...

I have just seared a nice piece of 30 day air-dried Aberdeen Angus sirloin rib and popped it into the oven.

She'd been yearning for a good old British Sunday Roast since Singapore and today is the day. Stove top charlottes with brussel sprouts and caramelised carrots with Yorkshire puds ... (three each ....:eek: ) and a nice Rioja jus/gravy and perhaps a little to drink as well.

Jeff

3625F630-8FB2-4852-857A-A7EAE12B6DD8.jpg

Camera

iPad

Focal Length

4.28mm

Aperture

f/2.4

Exposure

1/60s

ISO

Yum Jeff.

For a few laughs at US politics there are some to be had while watching sketches from Saturday night live.

I will be making spicy fish tacos to take to sons house... we will assemble them there. Don't know yet if he can eat solid food, because of surgical approach from the front to cervical spine, he had some swallowing issues. I will have alternative smoothie fixings for him just in case.

Jolly, love the scientific and pragmatic method! Will we have the pleasure of seeing you on the spirit crossing in March?

Yum Jeff.

For a few laughs at US politics there are some to be had while watching sketches from Saturday night live.

Jolly, love the scientific and pragmatic method! Will we have the pleasure of seeing you on the spirit crossing in March?

Indeed Spins, I'll be aboard. Just got off the Wind after a great couple of weeks, pining for the ocean already. OK, I know I live on a tiny rock in the Atlantic, but it's not the same as being on a ship ...

And for amusement, try this for European countries having fun with the Donald.

http://www.everysecondcounts.eu/

Good Day Coolers.....

Jeffers, that beef looks delicious....don't forget to photo the finished product!! Have got a chicken in the oven here for later....just enjoyed a plate of melon and Parma ham as l was very late rising today so it's definitely lazy Sunday!

You are a good Mum Spins.....do hope your son is able to enjoy your offerings, sounds as though he's really been through the mill.

Must admit l shall miss the Spirit crossing this year.....hopefully the Muse won't disappoint but I'm not at all worried as any day on board ship is a bonus and l still have two Spirit voyages to enjoy this year.

Emirates flights have just been confirmed for December.....first time with them and reviews are very mixed so one can only hope for a good journey!

Sorry Terry but l hate sport with a passion....our TV channels here are now full of Rugby coverage.....[emoji34] watching the historic coronation of our Queen right now which is very interesting as its being shown in full with comments from her maids of honour about the hitches of the day et al...

Thankfully the lady flu seems to be disappearing and I'm starting to feel human again......brandy still helping! [emoji6]

S [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For a few laughs at US politics there are some to be had while watching sketches from Saturday night live. I will be making spicy fish tacos to take to sons house... we will assemble them there. Don't know yet if he can eat solid food, because of surgical approach from the front to cervical spine, he had some swallowing issues. I will have alternative smoothie fixings for him just in case.

Travelcat2: I understand your wife's reticence to visit India. After 30 years of balking at the thought of going' date=' I decided that it was time. So, with a positive attitude, we visited India (via cruise ship). While there were some definite challenges (the heat being the biggest), the [b']food was some of the best we have tasted[/b], the Taj Mahal and other architecture was a feast for the eyes. Quite an amazing trip. Having said that, it would take another 30 years to entice me to go again.

spinnaker2: I am used to Terry's gloating over Michigan. Not hurt me any more. We have Harbaugh and a la Ruby and the Romantics' date=' our day will come. [b']Go Blue[/b]

Appreciate these added postings. From Travelcat2, enjoyed your experiences, comments and details on India. For Spins, it is not "gloating" when you are just citing the honest, realistic facts for the history of what has happened during recent years.

Yes, the Ohio-born Jim Harbaugh is very good and gives Michigan great hope and promise for the future. Sorry now for citing some more well-reported facts. In the rankings of the recent college football recruits, Ohio State had the second best in-coming freshman class in the nation. Only slight behind Alabama. Michigan did very well, but not the best in the Big Ten. And, yesterday in basketball, in a game in Ann Arbor, OSU beat Michigan 70-66. Yes, sorry for Illinois, they have been struggling for some time in football, etc.

Also for Spins, those spicy fish tacos sound great. If any left over, send them up our way in Columbus. Getting ready for a Super Bowl party at our home tonight. Will be cheering for the Patriots. Super sunny here right now. Wonderful weather. Warm today. Sorry could not get Saturday Night Live last night as the local electric power went out in our neighborhood at 11:14 pm. Was out for two hours.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 208,472 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Ah yes, one of those websites with lots and lots and lots of scientific sounding buzzwords ... and 'testimonials' ...

Even by their own admission, it doesn't touch the laws of physics, it's more to do with psychology and perceptions, with perhaps a tiny hint of, as yet, unproven physiology.

I guess you can do your own test to see if it works for you since it is only a high tech, lithium battery operated, hands-free method of holding an ice cube to one of your radial arteries for three seconds, removing it for three seconds, and repeating this endlessly.

If it works I'd be worried that it'd be dangerous in high ambient temperatures as the normal warning signs to the body of core over-heating could become confused, and you could be at risk of heatstroke.

And if it doesn't work, but you choose to buy it anyway, well at least it'll only be a danger to your wallet.

I suspect that the device will be extremely expensive! Just interested in ways of tolerating heat a bit better.

Since this is an off-topic thread (which I love) and you live in Bermuda, what would you recommend is the best way to get from the cruise port (Royal Naval Dockyard) to Hamilton? We were there very briefly in late November and would like to spend the day there on our visit late next month. Also, any restaurant recommendations? Another passenger told us about a wonderful Italian lunch that they had but I neglected to ask the name of it. Thanks much!

Jeff: I also look forward to seeing a photo of the "finished product". Hoping that you didn't eat it before taking a picture.

Isn't it wonderful that we can voice our opinions or talk about opposing views or differing thoughts without fear of retaliation.

Regrettably it's often hard to sift through what is actually true vs. the news as it is reported by the media.

But that is nothing new...

I'm not sure it really works that way in practice.

Dan thoughfully kindly warned us that some posts may be airbrushed as a poster on this and the other forum is reporting some.

Looking back through the thread, only mildly critical posts and relatively harmless of Trump were deleted but those pro all remain. One of my posts understanding of Trumps actions but simply critical of the way he expressed his reasons was deleted, I don't think it could have offended anyone - but all pro-Trump posts remain.

It would be a shame if CC became the innocent and unwitting victim of a poster who has heavy Republican involvement or supporter who would prefer to see some posts deleted but not all ...... that would in my view be worst than no deletions because it leaves a bias. I perfectly understand why the rules with respect to posting are there, and we are allowed wider lattitude which is great, and I don't want to risk that. But I hope the report button isn't abused simply because some people diagree with a post and want it gone. That would be an abuse of the report system and of free-speech and is both un-American and un-British and un-most-people. I hope they think a bit more about what they report before they do.

;)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff