Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Greetings Coolers! Nasty wet and chilly day here. We are expecting a potential 100mm of the liquid through today into tomorrow.

JP and Spins thanks for dropping by! Very glad to hear that you are all enjoying your cruises!

J. Thanks for the article link! I do so enjoy reading his stuff. Of course we probably all know at least one of the kind of character he describes. And reading the comments after the article was interesting as well. It seems the author is either revered or reviled. There was definitely a lot of reviling going on. Your meal looks scrumptious. I'm hoping Myster will make his soup today! Perfect day for it!

Miss S. Good job with the Christmas cards! Our clocks go back next weekend. When the US changed their "change time" years ago, Canada followed suit. Enjoy your delicious lunch!

Have a great day all!

Hi All.....

JP....so pleased you and Chris are having fun....just enjoy and you can tell us all about it when you get home!

So the clocks turned back last night which means early dark evenings which l love......folk think I'm crazy!

Managed to finish writing all the Christmas cards this morning..all stamped and ready to go.....

Roast chicken for luncheon....furry babies and l will share....

Happy Sunday 😊

Good morning.....we turn our clocks next weekend........you are a week ahead of us.....I don't know if I knew that

or not:eek:

We in Mexico also turned our clocks back this morning. My pups happily were ready to get up at 5:30 am......not I!!

Enjoy the day everyone. Sorry about the dreary weather, Mysty. It is almost Halloween, isn't it? When we were in WPG that was usually the first snowfall.

Hi Penny! Yes, Tuesday night is Halloween and the forecast calls for a chance of snow flurries. I'm hoping NOT! The leaves are not all down from the trees yet and I do not relish the idea of poking through the snow to find them.

Hello Coolers,

It used to be that we would have some snow on Halloween night...but it seems climate change is being good to the witches and ghouls ringing doorbells that night. It's forecasted to be clouded and only 45F. This is a big holiday (heavens forgive me) in this area of Central New York. I wish I could post all the lawn decorations, many quite smart and artistic (!), including my DD's, who decided to dress two life size skeletons as bride and groom, and have hands appearing from the lawn as if the dead would come as invited guests to the wedding. I will be joining them for a party with the children's friends, but my husband will stay home to answer the door and OOH and AAH to all the kids in costume ringing for candy.

The picture from Corpse Bride that I posted was used as part of a wedding invitation for the daughter of a dear friend of mine. Interesting choice I thought! As a wedding gift I made them a wedding box using their invitation, a wooden cigar box that I painted black, a twig with a silver ring attached (as in the actual movie) and lilies. They loved it!

P1012274.JPG

According to what we are told, the festival began 2500 years ago and was practiced by the Aztecs. When the Spanish conquistadores arrived, the friars merged the practice with All Souls Day as a way to evangelize the indigenous population. Now, deceased children are remembered on 1 Nov. and deceased family and friends are remembered on Nov. 2. Relatives and friends go to graveyards, clean up and decorate the sites with marigolds, bring sweets, favorite foods of the departed, and drinks. Some families stay overnight, or even two nights, remembering and celebrating the lives of their loved ones. There are parades and music.

People set up altars in their homes with photos, flowers, sugared "dead heads", catarinas (skeleton figures). (Even I do this!)

The most famous area to experience the festivities is on the island of Janitzio in Lake Patzcuaro Michoacan. People from all over the world come for this one.

I wish I was adept enough to post pics.....do Google catarinas, they are special. I have one in my foyer that is 3 ft. high made of talavera. She has calla lilies on her hat, her dress is decorated with flowers and birds. She had a silk purse and lovely jewelry. I named her Iris after arco iris (rainbow). I leave her there all year long.

Such a sweet story Penny....loving all the Halloween tales....

M, what a great wedding gift idea!

As a kid l don't recall Halloween celebrations like we have today over here...think we caught it from across the pond!

It's a lovely time of year...hope the snow stays away M...looks like we may get our first heavy frost of the season tonight...brrrrr 😊

Miss Sophia: It is my favorite way to celebrate my dear departed husband. I bring out favorite photos, marigolds, sugared dead heads and a tot of rum (he was RCN) and set up my altar in the study. I leave it up for a week. I also include pics of our favorite deceased pups.....

Miss Sophia: It is my favorite way to celebrate my dear departed husband. I bring out favorite photos, marigolds, sugared dead heads and a tot of rum (he was RCN) and set up my altar in the study. I leave it up for a week. I also include pics of our favorite deceased pups.....

Penny, that is so touching and what a lovely way to remember...thank you for sharing with us 😊

Thanks Miss S. And Halloween was not a home decorating thing back in the day when I was a kid. Jack O' Lanterns were the extent of decoration.

Stay warm and cozy with the frost!

M...love to see a good frost! I'm told by my neighbour that her lovely grandchildren are going to be calling to trick or treat so have some cookies in for the event!

We have a house in town who decorate their garden every year and open it on the night to the public with proceeds going to charity....it's all very spooky! ☺️

“Mike I feel your anticipation and look forward to hearing all about the planned trip.”

Well I will certainly try and provide a subjective review of the trip .... just don’t expect any photographs!

There are instructions on this forum on how to do it ... evenwritten in words of two syllables ... and still I fail🙄

However .... I am better at cooking and here is a good recipe.

You'll need the following:

1 cup of water

1 cup of sugar

4 large brown eggs

2 cups of dried fruit

1 teaspoon of salt

1 cup of brown sugar

Lemon juice

1 cup of nuts

1 bottle of whiskey.

Sample the whiskey to check for quality.

Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again.

To be sure it's the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Repeat.

Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.

Make sure the whiskey is still okay.

Cry another tup.

Turn off the mixer.

Beat two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

Mix on the tuner. If the fired druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares?

Check the whiskey. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.

Grease the oven.

Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees.

Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window.

Check the whiskey again and go to bed.

“Mike I feel your anticipation and look forward to hearing all about the planned trip.”

Well I will certainly try and provide a subjective review of the trip .... just don’t expect any photographs!

There are instructions on this forum on how to do it ... evenwritten in words of two syllables ... and still I fail🙄

However .... I am better at cooking and here is a good recipe.

You'll need the following:

1 cup of water

1 cup of sugar

4 large brown eggs

2 cups of dried fruit

1 teaspoon of salt

1 cup of brown sugar

Lemon juice

1 cup of nuts

1 bottle of whiskey.

Sample the whiskey to check for quality.

Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again.

To be sure it's the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Repeat.

Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.

Make sure the whiskey is still okay.

Cry another tup.

Turn off the mixer.

Beat two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

Mix on the tuner. If the fired druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares?

Check the whiskey. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.

Grease the oven.

Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees.

Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window.

Check the whiskey again and go to bed.

😂👌.......wonder if it would work with vodka...😉

Hi...I can't remember who else follows college football on here.......I am a Nole and our season is shot:eek:....we lost

Friday night.....who is a Gator and who is a Hurricane?..........Mcalwain is out at U OF F today........and Miami looks

really good........The Bulldogs beat the Gators yesterday 42-7:D....that is only thing that made my loss any better LOL........