Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Hi everyone, the food talk is always fun:)....went out to dinner with my sis, bil and 2 other friends last night. I had

FRESH GROUPER:D........it was FABULOUS...........it was "herb crusted" and delicious........I forgot how good Grouper

is.....Yummy:D

Lois, great to hear from you and that you had a lovely dinner with your family. Today's been a very busy day for me; first the drive to Ithaca for the drama club, and then the grandkids who will stay with us over the weekend. Drama was exciting and so the kids will be!

Hi Cam:).......yes, we had a really nice time. As for sis and bil, they are leaving on Wed for a TA crossing.....They fly to Rome and sail home....they are going on Celebrity.

And I made my payment today for my cruise next summer.....it is early because of the savings being offered.......paying

in full saves me 10%......it is on WHISPER......from Venice to Nice in July 2018:)

And I am seriously looking at WINDSTAR for my birthday cruise.......those sailing ships look really appealing....it is a

Costa RIca/Panama Canal itinerary..........I have never been to either place and never sailed Windstar either.....it is

giving me major food for thought;)

Lois, your cruise planning is getting serious. The Whisper is a grand lady and you will enjoy her. Since it will be July, you will probably have a younger crowd mix and maybe children. I missed having more of a demographic mix in our last cruise...younger people tend to elevate our spirits! However, not ready for Disney... The Cruise Director on the Whisper was a fine lady, Vicki Van Tassel, and she was delightful. I've never sailed Windstar, but have heard very good reviews. I'm sure you will have a very happy birthday on a cruise!

Good morning Coolers,

Thanks for the article, Jeff. These are interesting times, as the Chinese proverb goes. I understand yesterday's rally was on the plaza between the Cathedral and the Hotel Colón, where we usually stay when in Barcelona. I read that many of the pedestrian streets shooting from the plaza were closed. Those tourists wanting to enjoy the Barrio Gotic were probably unable to stroll around it. Penny, my hopes for a calm visit to Barcelona prior to your cruise!

Good morning. I just read the article, thanks Jeff. Thank you for your kind words, Cam! The article mentioned civil disobedience and my main concerns are things like baggage handling and longshoremen duties. Plus road closures. I'm staying at Condes de Barcelona in Eixample. I stayed in that area last year. Centrally located, as you probably know.....but it is a matter of getting to and from, isn't it?

So, buen dia, quien sabe? and que sera!

It's extremely sad C, because to me it seems to have been so badly handled with Madrid seeming to want this heavy-handed confrontation. Handled differently and intelligently it could have had a much better chance of a peaceful resolution. The argument from many who do not have a view on the detail will be with the way that there has been no talk of real and meaningful consultation and an offer even to see what the whole of Spain feels. To us non-Spanish it is easy to see this simplistically, but unusually when the older generation is often the generation calling for peace, it is the older generation that can recall Franco and dictatorship and to many of them this feels like they fought and lost lives for simply a further dictatorship under the guise of democracy. When a government forgets it serves the people and not the other way around it loses ground to extremism. Anyway ... enough of me and my angst ........ guess what we are having today ......

7e03a92d78f80c13e7ee4cba29573929.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's a real and avoidable shame. This impacts the whole of Europe because whilst countries have indicated their support of Madrid and condemnation of Catalonia, none have criticised Madrid's handling and this plays right into the hand of the growing Euro-sceptics.

Ordinary citizens in Europe will feel that this is another sign that big and bigger government doesn't work for ordinary people with reasonable aspirations that they simply to be "heard"and I think that even amongst those (for example) who supported a united UK we feel at least we had a consultation as we have also had with the EU Brexit. The Catalans have had no such offer. They are understandably desperate.

Good morning:).........going to look at appliances today........actually getting ready to leave a few minutes.......

I am looking at a new frig and oven....not sure I am buying today but want to see what is out there and I think I am

going to a real Appliance store;)......rather than Home Depot......we have a locally owned store that sells many brands,

I think they may be a bit more $$ but I know their name and believe they are more experts in these products.

Will let you know if I find something:D

Regarding Cataluña, for centuries after the unification of Spain by Fernando and Isabel, the catalans were allowed to use their language and their cultural idiosyncrasies were not frowned upon. With Franco, there was a dramatic change, the Spanish language was imposed and they were forced to think themselves as only spaniards. After Franco, there was some latitude, but not very much. Spain needs Cataluña; its industrial base and rich mineral resources. I agree that this situation has been handled ineffectively by the Spanish government...had they, over the years, negotiated more self government and respect for differences, this situation could maybe have been avoided

Mike I feel your anticipation and look forward to hearing all about the planned trip.

Last night at 2am I received an email from IHG group offering points with a 100% free uplift so I filled my boots up to the maximum with them ie 120,000 in total. Hopefully they'll have another offer in the new year as our Vienna trips rely largely on the points! Already have two 5 day trips booked ie in a few weeks and our birthdays in September, and hopefully soon we'll book 2018 Christmas Market Safari as they currently plan to close down for a total rebuild in 2019. We love going there and we've been promised we'll be invited to both the closing down and reopening parties.

Just noticed you made the 5000 post Jeffers......looks like WC4 is imminent!! 🍾😊

Hi coolers! Having a blast here in Peru. Great tour this morning in Salaverry, with Pre-Incan temples, horse riding, and dancing. Humboldt penguins, sea lions, and Peruvian boobies this afternoon at Islas Guañape.

Amazing food and great company. Will try to check in later. Can't keep up with the live postings but thanks for stopping by!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Terry (TLCOhio), there is a question on the Regent board about a Cape Town to Cape Town cruise and how long to stay after the cruise.

I tried to post your thread, without success. I thought you might answer his thread as your photos are wonderful. I'm sure it would help.

This week's Sunday Clarkson with a funny cartoon ......

2cd1fff2ed1c24f21cef02cc910a2046.jpg

Wine bore’s red? Wide-awake white? No, I’ll take the vino in-betweeno

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-i-m-not-wearing-ros-tinted-glasses-whenever-i-drink-i-ll-take-the-pink-nx88ncldm?shareToken=4812c33bc238c08c76e15fc382e7fc36

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi All.....

JP....so pleased you and Chris are having fun....just enjoy and you can tell us all about it when you get home!

So the clocks turned back last night which means early dark evenings which l love......folk think I'm crazy!

Managed to finish writing all the Christmas cards this morning..all stamped and ready to go.....

Roast chicken for luncheon....furry babies and l will share....

Happy Sunday 😊