TAMPA : Oosterdam or Rotterdam

sunonfire

My husband and I were thrilled to see that the Oosterdam was cruising from Tampa. We cancelled another HAL cruise so that we could book the Oosterdam for December 9th-16th. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and the ship. We tried to book the same cruise for next season from Tampa only to be told that the Rotterdam was going to be sailing from Tampa. We were so disappointed. We never sailed the Ryndam out of Tampa because it was an old ship and it did not have as many balconies as the other HAL ships. That was why were so happy to see the Oosterdam. We loved the signature suite. I know for a fact that 3 of the December cruises were sold out. I think that Tampa can support the newer and larger ship. We feel that Tampa is once again getting an older and smaller ship. We think Tampa deserves better from HAL. I am just wondering if other Tampa cruisers feel the same way. I do plan on letting HAL know that they are short changing Tampa.

The Rotterdam is my all time favorite HAL ship. We were on it for 35 days this summer: Voyage of the Vikings. For my hubby and me it was just the right size. We're taking the Oosterdam from Tampa on 2/3/2017 for 21 days. I'm sure it will be fine but for the longer cruises I really prefer a smaller ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You missed a wonderful cruise by not sailing on the Ryndam. We were on her for two weeks out of Tampa two years ago...beautiful ship! We board the Oosterdam day after tomorrow for their New Year's cruise so we'll see how beautiful she is after her make over. Bags are already packed for our flight tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I think that Tampa can support the newer and larger ship. We feel that Tampa is once again getting an older and smaller ship.

The Rotterdam is the flagship of the fleet. She is lovingly cared for, with beautiful artwork.

There were several complaints on this forum when it was announced that Rotterdam would be replacing Oosterdam. Those that complained actually preferred Rotterdam over Oosterdam. They wanted Rotterdam to be sailing other itineraries.

I was told that HAL was having trouble filling the larger Oosterdam so they replaced it with Rotterdam. You may have noticed some very good price drops on Oosterdam from Tampa. We even got a drop on a Neptune suite.

We have a cruise booked on both ships from Tampa.

Edited by RocketMan275

My husband and I were thrilled to see that the Oosterdam was cruising from Tampa. We cancelled another HAL cruise so that we could book the Oosterdam for December 9th-16th. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and the ship. We tried to book the same cruise for next season from Tampa only to be told that the Rotterdam was going to be sailing from Tampa. We were so disappointed. We never sailed the Ryndam out of Tampa because it was an old ship and it did not have as many balconies as the other HAL ships. That was why were so happy to see the Oosterdam. We loved the signature suite. I know for a fact that 3 of the December cruises were sold out. I think that Tampa can support the newer and larger ship. We feel that Tampa is once again getting an older and smaller ship. We think Tampa deserves better from HAL. I am just wondering if other Tampa cruisers feel the same way. I do plan on letting HAL know that they are short changing Tampa.

Totally agree with you. We're on the March cruise and were hoping Tampa would get to keep the larger ship. Tampa is way nicer port to embark from compared to FLL. They just seem to know how to get you onboard with way less aggravation.

Sailed on the Ryndam on one of her last trips out of Tampa and don't miss the older HAL ships at all. I know there are a number of fans here that love them, but we're tired of paying good $ for problems on the older ships.

Dan

The Rotterdam was scheduled for next winters sailings from Tampa even before the Oosterdam got here in November, so I don't think it was just because the Oosterdam sailings this year weren't selling.

I did the 14 day cruise November 25 which was wonderful. My review is posted under Oosterdam.

The Rotterdam is 6 years older than Oosterdam and does not have the signature suites nor an abundance of verandah rooms, but it is a very fine ship. If you liked Ryndam, you will like the Rotterdam better with its mid ship elevators and nicer Crows Nest and overall more upscale trim.

Eurodam cruise prices out of Ft Lauderdale were lower than Oosterdam fares out of Tampa this fall. I will be watching closely to see which ship Tampa gets in 2017/2018.

When HAL looses the Maasdam and Veendam, the Rotterdam will probably get the longer itinararys again.

The Rotterdam is the flagship of the fleet. She is lovingly cared for, with beautiful artwork.

No doubt given the choice we'd take the Rotterdam over almost any ship in the fleet except maybe the Volendam and Prinsendam.

Short changing that makes me really laugh!:D

I would take the Rotterdam any day over any ship, except the Prinsendam & perhaps the Amsterdam as love them both! :):) If all three were sailing out of Tampa I would chose the Rotterdam only because we've never sailed on her & understand she is beautiful! IMO anyone in the know would always want to be aboard the Flagship of the Fleet..

Bigger isn't always the best!

Edited by serendipity1499

We are driving five hours this weekend to board the Rotterdam in Ft Lauderdale. I would be thrilled if she was sailing from Tampa as that is one hour drive for us.

We've switched to whatever ship is sailing from Tampa. Saves three/four hours off our 14 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale.