Aft balconies

aim_for_the_sun

Hello, we just booked our first cruise (we had to cancel a Halloween cruise due to health issues) and paid extra for an aft balcony on deck 8 of the carnival magic. Just wanted opinions on whether it's worth the extra cost?

Ā 

We think so, we never cruise without one. Great view leaving ports and the wake has a white noise that resembles waves on the beach.

Ā 

The disadvantage for some is passengers is that the ship moves more then the center of the ship, which can be a problem for those who struggle with sea sickness. We personally find the movement relaxing, if not therapeutic.

Ā 

Some of the aft balconies are extended on the Carnival ships.

Ā 

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

We've booked our second aft balcony. We love watching as the ship leaves port and sometimes they back into port and you get the best view.

Ā 

Depending on what ship you're on, some complain you have a long walk from your cabin to the elevators.

Ā 

Have a good trip.

Ā 

Don

We have booked two cruises with aft balconies.

Ā 

Our experience was great with one and not so great with the other.

Ā 

Our first aft was on Celebrity Century's 2015 Singapore to Dubai in March/April.

Ā 

The aft balcony, like most was uncovered. That was a huge problem, since our cruise was almost on the equator. Most of our ports were in southern India and it was very hot, nearly 100 degrees most of the time.

Ā 

Our aft balcony was just too hot to use. It was exposed to the direct sun almost all the time.

Ā 

We would have done better by selecting a regular covered balcony that also would have give us some wind to cool us a bit.

Ā 

On our last cruise on the NCL Sun for Alaska, our aft balcony was great. The cruise was in early September this year and was a great choice. If you do Alaska, do an aft balcony. You get the sunlight warming you and don't get the cold wind. Great for viewing glaciers at Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

Ā 

So my answer is that it depends on the cruise and how hot it might be.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, we just booked our first cruise (we had to cancel a Halloween cruise due to health issues) and paid extra for an aft balcony on deck 8 of the carnival magic. Just wanted opinions on whether it's worth the extra cost?

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are cruising the magic on Sat. We have an aft balcony on deck 8.

Never cruised before, so I won't be able to compare. Sure hoping we made the right choicešŸ˜ƒ Hopefully I can check in when we get back with a reviewšŸ˜Ž

Ā 

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

We are going on our 18th cruise in a few days. We've done everything from insides, to suites, balconies to porthole and aft as well. In a few days we will get to experience the new Havana Cabana cabins with the lanai....looking forward to that.

Ā 

All that being said, we LOVE the aft balconies! Great views!! Would book an aft balcony over a regular balcony in a heartbeat if all was fairly equal. We would pay a little more for an aft as well.

Thank you, that's great info! I think we will spend a lot of time on the balcony, and that view appealed to me. Good to know about the white noise; we both sleep better with white noise. Thank you! Amy

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

If you plan to leave your balcony door open to hear the "white noise", be advised that the staterooms have positive air pressure from the a/c system and if you open your stateroom door while the balcony door is open you will get a rush of air and the stateroom door will slam shut. It also (as mentioned by another poster) will affect the overall a/c and humidity of your stateroom and the staterooms near you as they are all interconnected on the same system. Most cruise lines advise against it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We had a balcony (not aft) on our Caribbean cruise. Hardly used it, was just too hot and nothing to see except ocean (which I could see fine, and enjoy, through the glass between my nice air-conditioned room and the balcony).

Ā 

We did blow the extra money for an aft balcony on our upcoming Alaska cruise. Partially to be able to see the gorgeous scenery from the comfort of our room, and partially just to have a larger room since our 2 adult children are cruising with us. I figured with 4 adults in a room, we needed all the extra we could get!

I had and aft corner balcony on a 10 day cruise in the Caribbean and loved it. Seemed we backed into port most of the time. What a great view.

Ā 

We have an aft balcony booked for our Alaskan cruise this August.

Ā 

Don

We are cruising the magic on Sat. We have an aft balcony on deck 8.

Never cruised before, so I won't be able to compare. Sure hoping we made the right choice[emoji2] Hopefully I can check in when we get back with a review[emoji41]

Ā 

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

Ā 

Ā 

Would love to hear what you think, as that is the same ship and deck we booked! Have a great first cruise!!

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks for all the replies and the warning about not opening the balcony door! Wouldn't have realized that.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Bring a "white noise" machine with you. They simulate a variety of sounds including "ocean sounds". Enjoy your cruise! :)

The disadvantage for some is passengers is that the ship moves more then the center of the ship, which can be a problem for those who struggle with sea sickness. We personally find the movement relaxing, if not therapeutic.

We love the movement of the ship and always sleep so well. However, I think the sea sickness-is-worse-in-certain-parts-of-the-ship thing is an urban myth.