Oceania Compared to Princess

stevenr597

The easiest comparison is to look at Oceania's Sirena and what a multi-million dollar improvement has done to what was the norm when it was part of the Princess fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a great comment.... when it takes $ 40,000,000 dollars to bring a small princess ship up to minimal Oceania standards....what does that say about "Princess".......?????

What a great comment.... when it takes $ 40,000,000 dollars to bring a small princess ship up to minimal Oceania standards....what does that say about "Princess".......?????

A bit misleading isn't that?

A $40 million refit (or refurbishment) is much more than just bringing a Princess up to Oceania standard. Can very well be bringing it up to today's standards and codes.

It was built in 1999 and became part of Oceania fleet in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Sirena

Refurbishing any ship is horrendously expensive and $40 million is not out of line to fix up, especially a 17 year old ship.

there is no even remote comparison...... your asking "how is Ritz Carlson" compared to best western......words fail me.. where would a person even start!

It does sound as though you have much experience traveling on both lines. Not sure how you could accurately compare both lines if you don’t.

Based on your experience on both lines, can you elaborate on your posts? It appears you end your posts with questions that you can’t answer.

A $40 million refit (or refurbishment) is much more than just bringing a Princess up to Oceania standard. Can very well be bringing it up to today's standards and codes.

Would the ship still sailing under Princess at the time not have to meet current standards & codes ??

It was built in 1999 and became part of Oceania fleet in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Sirena

Refurbishing any ship is horrendously expensive and $40 million is not out of line to fix up, especially a 17 year old ship.

You may have missed what we learned about the Sirena's Princess to Oceania refurbishment, Pete-

After selling the ship to Oceania, Princess didn't so much as change a lightbulb during time which they were allowed before Oceania took posession.

This is an example of an actual Cruise Critic Passenger Review from that time:

Time to retire the Ocean Princess.

Sail Date: December 2015

Destination: Transatlantic

Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

It was announced that the Ocean has been sold to Oceania for a complete overhaul. It is really in need of an update. As one reviewer noted, "It seemed tired." Apparently Princess decided to stop any updates some time ago. Sabatini's shows "Italian Restaurant" and the Internet Cafe was never incorporated into the signs. Decor is over the top 1980's (swirls on squares on weaves on stripes).

The same pros and cons existed on this trip as for all Princess cruises. The staff was friendly, attentive, approachable. For price, our Rome to Miami 18 days was hard to beat (be sure to stay a week in Rome before hand at the Princess hotel). Entertainment was some of the best we've been offered on any ship. The cabin was comfortable if dated.

But the old problems remain. Guests are pestered to pose and buy pics, purchase packages for wine, water, ice cream, coffee and buy ridiculously expensive excursions. We team up with other couples, rent a taxi guide and get a personal tour for 1/3 - 1/2 the cost. The food was disappointing (especially considering other cruise lines). Passengers felt that charging a fee for "good" food was insulting. Despite the fact that only one specialty restaurant was open each night, they were mostly deserted. (Our table mates had to return their meal at the Steak House.) We loved the Trivia especially the obvious ignorance of the staff who apparently have never read a science or history book.

In retrospect, it is probably sour grapes to call the condition of the Ocean Princess "typical", but even if the lack of maintainance was a form of industrial espionage, Princess still allowed their passengers to sail in those conditions during the interim.

Oceania deployed extra squads of engineers during the first voyages after the $40 million refit because the ship had been allowed to deteriorate to such an extent.

Edited by JimandStan

Would the ship still sailing under Princess at the time not have to meet current standards & codes ??

Yes.

Standards and codes change for everything all the time. Being seaworthy does not mean it is up to today's standards or codes. Your 10 year old car is not up to today's standards or codes yet is still roadworthy. Your aircraft ht you fly down to Florida is probably old but airworthy bit perhaps not up to today's standards.

You may have missed what we learned about the Sirena's Princess to Oceania refurbishment, Pete-

After selling the ship to Oceania, Princess didn't so much as change a lightbulb during time which they were allowed before Oceania took posession.

This is an example of an actual Cruise Critic Passenger Review from that time:

In retrospect, it is probably sour grapes to call the condition of the Ocean Princess "typical", but even if the lack of maintainance was a form of industrial espionage,? Princess still allowed their passengers to sail in those conditions during the interim.

Oceania deployed extra squads of engineers during the first voyages after the $40 million refit because the ship had been allowed to deteriorate to such an extent.

I am not sure what people have learned about "Sirena's Princess to Oceania refurbishment". I believe that the intent of my statement "$40 million is not out of line to fix up, especially a 17 year old ship. " is correct. $40 million is not much to fix a very old boat.

As for letting passengers sail on an old ship, well, there are a lot of old ships out there carrying passengers.

As for letting passengers sail on an old ship, well, there are a lot of old ships out there carrying passengers.

Yes, there are - but not on Oceania. Not all old ships are the same - some are rusting , others are sparkling.

On Oceania they may be old but you'd never know it by sailing on them because they go to dry dock regularly for refurbishing and updating. None of them look ANYTHING like Ocean Princess did.

The actual age of the ship does not matter as much as the maintenance and constant upkeep of that ship.

Edited by Paulchili

The actual age of the ship does not matter as much as the maintenance and constant upkeep of that ship

Perfectly stated Paul, much better than my attempt.

I'm lifting this phrase from our days as Holland America regulars (pre-Carnival), but it is true of every Oceania ship, as well...

oc_regatta.jpg

The ships are so pristine that when a wall is being painted, it is impossible to tell in which direction the Painters are headed.

Yes.

Standards and codes change for everything all the time. Being seaworthy does not mean it is up to today's standards or codes. Your 10 year old car is not up to today's standards or codes yet is still roadworthy. Your aircraft ht you fly down to Florida is probably old but airworthy bit perhaps not up to today's standards.

I am fairly sure my 12 yr old car is up to all the safety standards required today

Not that my car has anything to do with the discussion :eek:

Yes.

I am not sure what people have learned about "Sirena's Princess to Oceania refurbishment". I believe that the intent of my statement "$40 million is not out of line to fix up, especially a 17 year old ship. " is correct. $40 million is not much to fix a very old boat.

I think the point you're missing is that if Princess had maintained the ship the way Oceania does their R ships the price tag for refurbishment would have been much less than 40 million. I have no information but I wouldn't doubt it wound up being more than they had budgeted.

Yes, there are - but not on Oceania. Not all old ships are the same - some are rusting , others are sparkling.

On Oceania they may be old but you'd never know it by sailing on them because they go to dry dock regularly for refurbishing and updating. None of them look ANYTHING like Ocean Princess did.

The actual age of the ship does not matter as much as the maintenance and constant upkeep of that ship.

I did not say anything against Oceania or it's ships. Never said they look like Princess either. Just stating some facts about refurbishing and costs by responding to another poster.

I am fairly sure my 12 yr old car is up to all the safety standards required today

Not that my car has anything to do with the discussion :eek:

I am sure it is roadworthy. As for being up to safety standards, well, I could not say without inspecting the vehicle (yes, I was an aircraft maintenance engineer and have car mechanic license too). My comments using aircraft and cars was just an analogy about standards and codes.

I think the point you're missing is that if Princess had maintained the ship the way Oceania does their R ships the price tag for refurbishment would have been much less than 40 million. I have no information but I wouldn't doubt it wound up being more than they had budgeted.

I did not miss the point. A refurbishment can be many things. Everything from a simple repairs, engine change, carpet change or, as in the case of the ship we are speaking of an entire renovation to make it look like one of Oceania's ships. When a cruise line, regardless of which one, buys a ship from another cruise line it does refurbishments to get the look and feel of their own livery. Lots of time, effort and design takes place. It costs a lot more to transform a ship from one line to another than it does just for a refit and stay with the line. Age and ship condition are huge factors but not the only ones.

Folks, I am not anti Oceania and not bashing them. I have a cruise planned on Oceania and very much looking forward to it..

Edited by pete_coach

Folks, I am not anti Oceania and not bashing them. I have a cruise planned on Oceania and very much looking forward to it..

Welcome Aboard Pete. Sometimes this can be a hard room to work and we've been sailing on Oceania for 12 years (to the day) :).

Hopefully you will have a wonderful experience and see what so many find enchanting about Oceania.

I can say we’ll be traveling on both lines in the future and will pick the one that best suits what we want out of that particular trip. There are a lot of good things about both lines.

I think that is the best answer to all these comparison threads

People have to choose what works best for them & not what others think

There is something for everyone ..people just have to find the one that works for them

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Edited by LHT28

I can say we’ll be traveling on both lines in the future and will pick the one that best suits what we want out of that particular trip. There are a lot of good things about both lines.

We've cruised extensively on Princess, albiet primarily before we found Oceania in '05 and enjoyed it very much.

Looking back, however, we realize that, even then, we were making major allowances for food, quality and service, frankly because it seemed to us that certain standards had gone the way of the vinyl record.

4122639_sa.jpg;maxHeight=44;maxWidth=4421511237_sa.jpg;maxHeight=44;maxWidth=4425408167_sa.jpg;maxHeight=44;maxWidth=447626456_sa.jpg;maxHeight=44;maxWidth=44 Lovely, pleasant artifacts, full of happy memories, but virtually unattainable today.

Not sure how far back CC has been able to archive these things, but as I recall my very first reviews of Oceania (after that '05 cruise) sang their praises for a level of service which we had not seen since the 1970's on Sitmar and the Home Lines.

Naturally, we were loathe to abandon our hard won repeater benefits with the other Lines, but friends who were HAL,Princess or Cunard devotees strengthened our resolve by continuously reporting on a continuing depressing decay in just about every aspect of their business practices.

If you've noticed an uptick which we are not aware of, I'd be very happy to hear your thoughts.

My wife and I are scheduled to do a Trans-Atlantic on Princess. We have cruised on Princess before and we do like the cruise line. Recently, some friends of ours, just finished a cruise on Oceania and they were fairly impressed. We would like some thoughts, from fellow cruisers in regards to both lines, how they compare. Thanks for the help.

As quite a number of people on this board has said, we are throwing in our opinions and say that we tend to agree with them that in many areas, Oceania gives a far superior service and experience than on Princess. Granted we have only been on Princess once (Regal, last year) and on Oceania four times (Regatta, Nautica, Rivierax2), so our experience is somewhat limited.

QUALITY OF THE MEALS

What Oceania is miles ahead of Princess is the food.

Specialty restaurants on Oceania are free. On Princess, it is generally on a "for fee" basis.

Soft drinks and sodas on Oceania is free. You pay for it on Princess except for their Lemon Juice (drink?).

On Oceania, you get complimentary illy espressos, cappuccinos and lattes including at their Baristas . The complimentary coffee on Princess is of a poorer (subjective?) standard but you can get good coffee at the International Cafe for a price.

In the buffet, the offerings on Oceania is a lot more refined. Granted , the buffet on Princess (at least the one we have been on) does have good items like smoked salmon and really good size prawns, what let them down big time is the poor standard of their pastry (both for savoury and sweet dishes). We made this comment on C.C. some time back and you know what, there were others cruisers who agreed with us!

The desserts on Oceania is lip-smackingly superb (although there were occasions where it was less good, but very seldom). The desserts on Princess were mostly disappointing.

The complimentary Afternoon Tea on Oceania is superb. Princess has complimentary Afternoon Teas too, but their cakes and pastries were not as refined as on Oceania - we left our cakes/pastries alone on Princess during Afternoon Tea. On Oceania, their pastries made us feel as if we were on "Seventh Heaven"!

ENTERTAINMENT

On the whole, we felt that Princess offers a better standard of entertainment. On all four cruises with Oceania, we felt Entertainment was

one of the "weakest" areas for Oceania.

AMBIANCE

From our experience, Princess public areas felt rather "crowded". There were not enough areas to sit , and it was hard to get away from the crowds. There were more quiet areas on Oceania ships.

Edited by Cahpek

I agree with both above posts.

We like Princess for itineraries and our Elite benefits but Oceania is definitely a step (or two) above in all respects - including price.

They are both fine for what you pay and get in return and this is definitely an example of "you get what you pay for" - not always a case in life but it is this time :)

Oceania has some unique itineraries. One of the wonderful things about Oceania is the smaller ports that they sail into, rather than the tried (and sometimes tired) ports of the larger ships.

It is mainly the itineraries that attract us to Oceania. First on the cruise we had to unfortunately canacel that included a Suez passage - but included some wonderful other ports not found on the Celebrity and Princess passages. And now on our currently booked cruise, nobody has such a great itinerary for a TA (in our opinion). To be able to enjoy a bit of the Mediterranean, then the crossing, and finally a bit of the Caribbean is a fabulous itinerary.

I find the higher end cruises tend to have these more unique itineraries. Jmho

Thxs [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Sabbycat

Oceania has some unique itineraries. One of the wonderful things about Oceania is the smaller ports that they sail into, rather than the tried (and sometimes tired) ports of the larger ships.

It is mainly the itineraries that attract us to Oceania. First on the cruise we had to unfortunately canacel that included a Suez passage - but included some wonderful other ports not found on the Celebrity and Princess passages. And now on our currently booked cruise, nobody has such a great itinerary for a TA (in our opinion). To be able to enjoy a bit of the Mediterranean, then the crossing, and finally a bit of the Caribbean is a fabulous itinerary.

I find the higher end cruises tend to have these more unique itineraries. Jmho

Thxs [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

Yes, the smaller ships of Oceania can often get you much closer to some destinations than the larger ships of Princess. Shanghai, Bangkok and Saigon come to mind.

OTOH, Princess, having many more ships can offer a larger variety of itineraries.

Some of the Princess itineraries that attracted us in the past were the circumnavigation of Australia (many years before Oceania offered it), Pacific crossing from Vancouver to Beijing and cruises around Japan including many Japanese ports not visited by anyone else. The 2 latter itineraries are still not available on Oceania.

Nice to have so many options :)

Edited by Paulchili