What id do I need to take with me at the port?

RW20

We are Canadian so to get to our cruise we need to take our passports to get into the US.

When in port what id do I need to have other than sail and sign cards? We also have kids what travel with us.

Our last cruise at one of the ports we were told we could just show our drivers licence.

If we are staying really close to the ship then I might leave my passport on board. Going further out I will want it with me anyway.

some require proof you are the cruise to get into the port area for embarkation day

Passport & credit card at check in

If both parents are with the children just their documents will be fine

if only one parent then you require a notorized letter from the other to say you can take the child out of the Country

We never take our passports ashore unless the Country require we do

Usually the ship will hold our Passports anyway but we do carry a photo copy of the main page (yes I do know we cannot fly with it ) it does help expedite getting a new on but usually the ship will leave your passport with the Port agent if you should miss the ship (the trick is DO NOT MISS THE SHIP)

Be sure to take the port agent's details with you when going ashore

If you need a photo I.D then your driver's license will do

You can get Photo I.D. cards for the children in Ontario

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card

Maybe other Provinces offer photo I.D. as well

Edited by LHT28

In the Caribbean the cruise lines recommend that you take your ship card and a govt. issued photo ID.

Further, many recommend that you leave your passport in your cabin safe.

Personally, we have never taken our passports onshore in the Caribbean.

And we just returned from South America where no one could take their passports ashore because the ship took them and kept them at embarkation.

Edited by thinfool

We haven't had our passports taken by the ship for Caribbean cruises. Also the Ontario photo ID cards are for kids 16 and older. Mine are not that old.

Those cruising with kids without passports do they check kids ID? Or just parents?

I am concerned mostly about being in port. We check-in at embarkation with our passports.

some require proof you are the cruise to get into the port area for embarkation day

Passport & credit card at check in

If both parents are with the children just their documents will be fine

if only one parent then you require a notorized letter from the other to say you can take the child out of the Country

We never take our passports ashore unless the Country require we do

Usually the ship will hold our Passports anyway but we do carry a photo copy of the main page (yes I do know we cannot fly with it ) it does help expedite getting a new on but usually the ship will leave your passport with the Port agent if you should miss the ship (the trick is DO NOT MISS THE SHIP)

Be sure to take the port agent's details with you when going ashore

If you need a photo I.D then your driver's license will do

You can get Photo I.D. cards for the children in Ontario

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card

Maybe other Provinces offer photo I.D. as well

We haven't had our passports taken by the ship for Caribbean cruises. Also the Ontario photo ID cards are for kids 16 and older. Mine are not that old.

I am concerned mostly about being in port. We check-in at embarkation with our passports.

OOPS My mistake on the age for the cards

Do they have the photo OHIP card ? you could take that if you need photo I.D.

Only a couple of ports have asked for Photo I.D. & we use our D.L. & ship card to get back into the port area