Passports for sale in Islands on 60 MINUTES

zoncom

Tonights show CBS. Jan 1, 17. I assume its the illegal kind.Hold on to your legal PP and watch!

This is a big part of why my passport stays safely locked in my cabin's safe, when I go onshore. And, yes, I know some folks who do carry their passports with them, whenever they leave the ship. Most of them know the importance of keeping that document safe.

See, I don't understand leaving it in your safe-- it's what we do but what good is it if you miss your ship? Not that we ever would because my husband is a nervous Neil and usually wants to do ship excursions or get back to the ship three hours early.

LOL Trucker Dave!

Edited by KBS1607

See, I don't understand leaving it in your safe-- it's what we do but what good is it if you miss your ship? Not that we ever would because my husband is a nervous Neil and usually wants to do ship excursions or get back to the ship three hours early.

LOL Trucker Dave!

There are two kinds of cruisers - those who leave the passport in the safe and will never agree with the logic of those who take it ashore, and those who take the passport ashore and will never agree with the logic of those who keep it in the safe.

There are two kinds of cruisers - those who leave the passport in the safe and will never agree with the logic of those who take it ashore, and those who take the passport ashore and will never agree with the logic of those who keep it in the safe.

Very true! There are tons of threads about this issue, and I'm not sure that anyone ever changes anyone else's mind about this.

Actually there are four. Those you mention; those who don't bother to get a passport because they would never need it (and then panic when they do); and those who typically cruise lines and destinations where the passport is held by the ship during the cruise, returned at the end or if visiting a country where carrying it is required or by request in order to rent a car, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't realize only some cruise lines did that. HAL did that on our Mediterranean cruise.

Cruise lines hold your passports to clear the ship directly with immigration of the country/ies the ship will be visiting. This process can be invisible to the guest, or, in other instances, guests must present themselves for a (usually quick) inspection by local officials. When it is no longer necessary for the ship immigration officer to work with local officials, the passport may be returned to you at the appropriate time. For example, we recently returned from a trans-Pac where the ship held our passports for the first 8 of 9 ports.

The short answer is: the ship retaining custody of your passports is itinerary specific, not cruise line specifc.

If you miss the ship, they will usually leave your passport with the agent at the dock.

On the lines I cruise with, they have a policy of security personnel searching the safe for passports of any person who will miss the ship. If found, they will turn it over to the shore agent so the passenger can retrieve it. According to Q&A presentations by ship officers that I have attended, security will only look in the safe. They will not look in drawers, luggage, etc. If you keep your passport in your safe, you will have it available to you after the ship sails without you.

Edited by sloopsailor

I didn't realize only some cruise lines did that. HAL did that on our Mediterranean cruise.

All cruise lines will hold your passport if required by the countries being visited. They do this to facilitate the visa requirements that the ship often handles for the passengers. I have been on cruises to foreign ports where our passports were never turned over to the ship, and others where they had to be turned over for a portion of the cruise. The only cruise I have ever been on that required surrendering the passport for the entire cruise was a Nile river cruise in the 80s.

All cruise lines will hold your passport if required by the countries being visited. They do this to facilitate the visa requirements that the ship often handles for the passengers. I have been on cruises to foreign ports where our passports were never turned over to the ship, and others where they had to be turned over for a portion of the cruise. The only cruise I have ever been on that required surrendering the passport for the entire cruise was a Nile river cruise in the 80s.

Windstar and the Paul Gauguin both collect the passport on embarkation in French Polynesia and hold it through the entire cruise. Also French Polynesia gives a paper visa as well as a stamp unless you are a French Citizen or permanent resident.

Windstar and the Paul Gauguin both collect the passport on embarkation in French Polynesia and hold it through the entire cruise. Also French Polynesia gives a paper visa as well as a stamp unless you are a French Citizen or permanent resident.

Are you talking about a departure card that you surrender when you depart? A US citizen doesn't need any type of visa to visit FP.

Are you talking about a departure card that you surrender when you depart? A US citizen doesn't need any type of visa to visit FP.

Yes, sorry, my mistake. I am pretty sure the passport stamp specifically uses the word VISA in it. I recall it being a much larger stamp than we have gotten in most other countries.

Yes, sorry, my mistake. I am pretty sure the passport stamp specifically uses the word VISA in it. I recall it being a much larger stamp than we have gotten in most other countries.

Since I'm sitting at my desk, I pulled my passport out. I've been to FP three times (though the older passports are stored somewhere, not easily checked, but I've never needed a visa).

My stamp, from Dec 2013 is just a small square. It's pretty smeary, but looks like it says:

"Police Nationale

Tahita-FAAA

13 Dec 2013

Polynesie Francaise (hard to read may be spelled differently)

It's a real stamp. I didn't get it at the market :)

. . .

The short answer is: the ship retaining custody of your passports is itinerary specific, not cruise line specifc.

Not necessarily. Some lines hold all passports until the last morning, on all cruises. It has nothing to do with the itinerary.

Not necessarily. Some lines hold all passports until the last morning, on all cruises. It has nothing to do with the itinerary.

I have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Holland America, on several cruises each.

All of these cruise lines have held my passport for some cruises, but not for others. In my experience, it is the itinerary that has been the deciding factor.

Hi Kat " I seem to ask this question every once in awhile

I like to change the Font~ Color etc when I post ~ It was Okay when I had IE

as I found the Compatibility View tab'' I know have Chrome Win 7 Chrome say they don't have that feature :( Help Way back when member 1998 Seababe Thanks so much[/center] < I get this :(

Since I'm sitting at my desk, I pulled my passport out. I've been to FP three times (though the older passports are stored somewhere, not easily checked, but I've never needed a visa).

My stamp, from Dec 2013 is just a small square. It's pretty smeary, but looks like it says:

"Police Nationale

Tahita-FAAA

13 Dec 2013

Polynesie Francaise (hard to read may be spelled differently)

It's a real stamp. I didn't get it at the market :)

I had to go check, and you are correct. I can't find the one I was thinking of, and suspect it was in the passport that was damaged (so not returned) about 12 years ago.

A very poor choice of unnecessary acronym. Though leaving me to ponder what an illegal one constitutes...

Some people take an expired passport thinking it will be a savior if something happens -- or a copy -- both can be considered illegal passports

Hi Kat " I seem to ask this question every once in awhile

I like to change the Font~ Color etc when I post ~ It was Okay when I had IE

as I found the Compatibility View tab'' I know have Chrome Win 7 Chrome say they don't have that feature :( Help Way back when member 1998 Seababe Thanks so much[/center] < I get this :(

I am using chrome, and I have the options to change the font and color. It seems to be working fine.

Edited by 6rugrats