How does a 19 yr old make friends on a ship?

elainemasey61

He asked this question the other night. In the past he would head to the teen club and we would then see little of him the rest of the cruise.

He is very social and friendly. Never, with anything in his life, have I worried about him making friends. This question really touched me.[emoji17]

Thank you, Elaine

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My son cruised at 18 and it was a tough age for cruising - too old for the teen club, too young for the bars. I stuck my head in the singles meet up and it was all middle aged women. Your son will have to hang out at the pool and attend all the activities he can and hope he finds a few other young adults. If you have assigned seating, you may ask if the dining room manager can seat you at an appropriate table. Good luck.

They will gravitate toward others of their age group....just like anywhere else! After the age of 16 or so, teens don't really use the clubs...they find others "of their own kind" at the pool, sports deck....even at dinner, if you share a table with another family!

It is somewhat of an awkward age, in that they still want to do "kid" things, but are actually adults.....your 19 year old will be allowed to gamble, if the cruise isn't IN the US...like Alaska or Hawaii.

He asked this question the other night. In the past he would head to the teen club and we would then see little of him the rest of the cruise.

He is very social and friendly. Never, with anything in his life, have I worried about him making friends. This question really touched me.[emoji17]

Thank you, Elaine

Go to Roll Call section of CC, find the Roll Call for your cruise and ask if there are any 18-20 year olds cruising. Hopefully Yes and your son could meet up on board.

It is great that he will have the opportunity to learn how to meet people without depending on alcohol or the bar environment. That is the awesome thing about being 19 -- one can discover how to have fun, meet people and enjoy life without alcohol. If alcohol becomes a choice when he is old enough so be it but he will know that it isn't a necessity.

Going to a teen club or bar aren't a requirement to meet others to hang out with -- go to trivia and join a team with young people, go to the basket ball challenges, go to any of the sports challenges, hang out by the pool -- there are so many activities where he can meet people his age -- just provide a bit of guidance and all will be well.

Our daughter found listed in the Cruise Compass on the Oasis, Allure and Freedom when she was at this between age a organized meet and mingle at 10pm. the first night in one of the bars.

It was only open to 18-19 and 20 year olds.

She went the first time on the Freedom and met and made friends for life.

When we sailed the Allure and Oasis, she made more friends that first night and they split off in groups for their own fun groups.

So have them check out the compass and go to that first get together.

P. S. from one of the sailings she still keeps in touch from friends from Dominca and was actually invited to a Pre- Hurricaine party this past fall.

No she did not go.

Tell them to Enjoy, our daughter did at those ages.

And many of the ships offer the same service, so just need to look.

Safe travels

Edited by Lionesss

I have observed that this age group is mostly active at night in the clubs dancing and they will find each other. There will also be members 21 or more who are able to buy drinks, and will accommodate those not of age, although on a tight ship that is risky and subject to being disembarked.

Edited by jamessemaj

I'd be mortified if I was 19 to learn that my mommy was still trying to find play dates for me on a world wide website.

Cut the apron strings already and let the man fly

Edited by klfrodo

The question is a bit troubling if it is coming directly from the teen. How does anyone make friends? We suspect that if one asks the question they might have some social problems. The basic answer would logically be one should "socialize." But these days many kids and young adults do not even know how to have a conversation with a peer...since their entire life is looking at their phone. Take away the ability to text and some folks are totally lost. So my suggestion to the OPs 19 year old is that when he sees somebody (mail or female) around his age...he simply says, "Hi" with a smile. Or he might get really bold and say, "Hi, where are you from?"

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

So my suggestion to the OPs 19 year old is that when he sees somebody (mail or female) around his age...he simply says, "Hi" with a smile. Or he might get really bold and say, "Hi, where are you from?"

Hank

That seems like a helpful suggestion. Also the suggestion to wear something indicating where you're from, your college or favorite sports team. I appreciate those suggestions because my 16-year old is already saying she won't want to cruise when she turns 18 - it took me a while to catch on because she, like OP's son, loves cruising and has a "gang" by day 2 every cruise we've been on. Now I get it - she's looking forward to that in-between age and is uncertain about post-club-O2 cruising life. Thanks to OP for question and to some replies which I will share with my daughter.

I stuck my head in the singles meet up and it was all middle aged women.

19 year old male. A bunch of middle aged single females. Sounds like problem solved to me!!

:D

Seriously though, be hopeful but plan for alternatives. Make sure he brings along books, music, etc. Plan shore excursions.

Another poster suggested he man-up. 19 is a tough age for boys. I did my first travel to Europe when I was 19. Me and a buddy, a wallet full of cash and dreams of drinking Scotland dry. Some young men take a couple more years to feel independent.

Be helpful OP, but he is very likely to make new friends and have great time without a lot of helicoptering.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you to those of you with thoughtful, helpful suggestions.

I'm sure wearing his Patriots/Brady shirt will be an easy conversation starter. The roll call is also a good suggestion. On our Baltic cruise, several of us from the roll call planned our own family meet and great held just after the muster drill in one of the lounges. Everyone was welcome but the focus was those traveling with our kids.

To Hank and klfrodo, as an only child he has spent his life making friends, quite successfully. High school baseball/basketball/soccer, high honors, Eagle Scout. Now, second year of living AT college he is Deans list, playing rugby, Resident Advisor and working campus security-first time the school had someone work both RA and security. Wants to be a Police Officer. Lovely girlfriend. Much more but I'm already bragging[emoji3]. The apron strings have been cut long a go. I whole heartedly agree about phones etc. but not the issue here.

The question was asked late at night as we were looking at itineraries and chatting. It wasn't a woo is me question but it gave me pause and touched a mother's heart.

Happy New Year,

Elaine

I agree with what everyone here says about where to meet, and yes, avoid the teen club. But there is another aspect of being on the cruise -- and that is his opportunity to meet people who work on the ship, who are probably close to his age, too. Is he interested in theater or music? Your cruise might have a backstage tour where he could ask questions, or he could talk to the musicians after their set. Talk to the cruise staff -- where did they go to college and what did they major in? When the waiter or assistant waiter comes around, find out about that person's home country and get their email address or friend them on Facebook. If your son is interested in teaching, let him talk to the youth staff during their down time. Cruise staffers are more than happy to talk about their lives and why they chose this type of work. Sometimes making friends with crew is far more interesting than hanging around with dudes from back home!

To Hank and klfrodo, as an only child he has spent his life making friends, quite successfully. High school baseball/basketball/soccer, high honors, Eagle Scout. Now, second year of living AT college he is Deans list, playing rugby, Resident Advisor and working campus security-first time the school had someone work both RA and security. Wants to be a Police Officer. Lovely girlfriend. Much more but I'm already bragging[emoji3]. The apron strings have been cut long a go. I whole heartedly agree about phones etc. but not the issue here.

Happy New Year,

Elaine

I was an only child also. I also survived. I also might have had the same conversation with my loving mother. However, I would have expected her to keep in the strictest of confidentiality just between mother and son.

I was an only child also. I also survived. I also might have had the same conversation with my loving mother. However, I would have expected her to keep in the strictest of confidentiality just between mother and son.

ROFLMAO! We love our Moms despite the fact that they are motherly :). Even as a Dad it can be tough. I joined DW with tears in my eyes when we dropped our, then, 17 year old DD off at her University. We wondered how she could possibly cope at a large school where she know nobody. Funny thing is she did just fine :). And the OP's Son will also do fine....as long as his parents do not interfere....too much :).

Hank

Our son was 18 the last time he cruised with us. He met some older guys who shared the interest of cigars and poker, and he hung out with them discussing WWII military tactics and command well into the evening a couple of nights. Sometimes it's not about finding people of the same age, but rather with common interests.

My DD was 19 on our last cruise. She first made contact with other teens her age sailing on our cruise on another popular social media sites roll call for our sailing. She met up with some of them on board and they gathered more to their group in the clubs.

This is a good question. My 2 oldest lived meeting other teens in the clubs, and hanging out for a week. We are sailing on NCL in May, and I'm signing a waiver for them to order beer and wine. Ds18 drank legally in Scotland with his dad this year, dd20 is in Greece now with a friend, and enjoyed the free wine on the plane. I'm not worried about them drinking too much - they will be paying for their drinks.

This is a good question. My 2 oldest lived meeting other teens in the clubs, and hanging out for a week. We are sailing on NCL in May, and I'm signing a waiver for them to order beer and wine. Ds18 drank legally in Scotland with his dad this year, dd20 is in Greece now with a friend, and enjoyed the free wine on the plane. I'm not worried about them drinking too much - they will be paying for their drinks.

Never heard of a waiver. How does that work? Are you able to sign the waiver because you are over 21? Their parent? Can you sign the waiver for Caribbean cruises or only for European cruises? Do you take on the responsibility for any damages your adult children cause? Is hard liquor not allowed or do have the option?

Never heard of a waiver. How does that work? Are you able to sign the waiver because you are over 21? Their parent? Can you sign the waiver for Caribbean cruises or only for European cruises? Do you take on the responsibility for any damages your adult children cause? Is hard liquor not allowed or do have the option?

I can sign it because I'm the parent (has to be a parent). It allows for beer and wine, no hard alcohol, and they are not able to purchase beer buckets or beverage packages (on our cruise they'd get the UBP free if they were 21, but instead will have the soda package). Dd20 will be weeks away from turning 21 - so close. They are adults, they are responsible for damages (not that I can imagine them damaging anything).

Note that this waiver is for NCL. Not all cruise lines allow this. Carnival does not.

Got it, Warm Breezes. Just found this on the NCL website:

"Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European and Australian voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form." https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-minimum-age-purchase-andor-consumption-alcoholic-beverages