Quality of food on Royal Caribbean

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I gained 6 pounds this week. 😱

Did you make it back to the hot stations in the aft part of WJ. 🤔

Yes, I did.  Yes, I had a stir fry, passed on the Indian.  Don't tell anyone but my go to meal when nothing appealed was fish fingers, pasta with marinara sauce (good sauce) and a salad.

I gained weight regardless.

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

What subject is new? Dress code,  food, cost of cruise, perks, etc. LOL

Keeps us entertained. 

TOTALLY agree with you!  This is a FORUM for discussion! 

I enjoy reading old and new posts, some of which members haven't seen yet, or for new members that are just joining!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

""Here is just a sample picture of the creme brulee from Harmony of the Seas."

Sample, as in, to show the plating of this dessert. 

I was just curious why you didnt compare the sample to the way it used to be. More powerful in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, loveheart said:

Since we started cruising in 2006 with Royal we've found in general that the food  quality has gone down but still varies from very good to average depending on which ship we are on. This year on Indy we found the food in the MDR and Windjammer to be very good, last year on Brilliance it was good and the year before on navigator it was average. Obviously food is subjective and I can only speak for myself and my OH others may disagree.

I find your views refreshing!  Everyone is entitled to their opinions! Kudos!

• Like 1

The food on Celebrity took a big hit by April of this year.   Watered down soups, missing ingredients, stale bread, fatty meats, pureed corn and beats, and general disappearance of normal vegetables.  We booked Liberty of the Seas hoping to upgrade with specialty dining, but recent reviews mention cuts.  $60 restaurants with French fries, fatty meats, little to no veggies?  

I could make a list of things I'm disappointed with Carnival about, but literally comparing their MDR to RCCL speciality restaurant photos, we reversed our decision.  I'll miss the Royal Promenade, Quest, and the Ice Show, but when I can't even pay to upgrade to anything decent, I'll have to take my business elsewhere.  If NCL were sailing that week out of Galveston, I may have tried them and their dining package instead.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Yes, I did.  Yes, I had a stir fry, passed on the Indian.  Don't tell anyone but my go to meal when nothing appealed was fish fingers, pasta with marinara sauce (good sauce) and a salad.

I gained weight regardless.

Stir fry in CK

20190805_182016.thumb.jpg.baefe5dcb919bfbe0b5dfef4d87b00b2.jpg

Izumi after I had eaten for a while

20190806_203649.thumb.jpg.b70d0945c852ef6cbe8cbe77dde82eaf.jpg

Stir fry in WJ

20190809_082928.thumb.jpg.2f773eaae67a0f994014e704b85e0e50.jpg

Stir fry MDR lunch

20190810_121227.thumb.jpg.c584653e806be6117443d867052cb7df.jpg

It was all good. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I was just curious why you didnt compare the sample to the way it used to be. More powerful in my opinion. 

If I HAD samples, I would gladly attach them, as I mentioned, the creme brulee was the only one I could CAPTURE from YouTube, and I'm not comfortable grabbing other people's pictures without their consent, but I get what you're saying.

If I come across any from Cruise Critic, I'll attach them and name the member I got the picture from.  I did create a post asking for food pictures in the Foodies forum.

• Like 1

Actually the last 2 cruises (out of Galveston) Vision and Liberty we noticed a distinct improvement in the food both in MDR and Windjammer.  At least it seems to be swinging back from swill to more palatable........

Edited by BecciBoo
spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Actually the last 2 cruises (out of Galveston) Vision and Liberty we noticed a distinct improvement in the food both in MDR and Windjammer.  At least it seems to be swinging back from swill to more palatable........

Pizza is much better

I’ve come to the conclusion that the food quality (and menu up in the WJ) varies from ship to ship and has EVERYTHING to do with the Head Chef aboard. 

I’ve been cruising w/RC since 2003 and have had great food, meh food and pretty bad food and/or selections. Nothing has ever compared to the food aboard Serenade OTS, December ‘17. Everything (with only one exception, the dressing w/the roast turkey entree in MDR was GOD AWFUL!) in all venues was very good and there were many more selections available in WJ than I had ever seen before. WJ had a different theme every night that we were there. 

• Like 1

I have always been able to find good food on any RCCL ship and I also think a lot depends on the chefs. I am just glad that I don't have to cook to be honest and enjoy all of the service! That said, DH doesn't like to splurge for the specialty dining venues (since food is included in the cruise price) but tells me that, if I really don't care for the menu in the MDR, just order and pay extra for a nice filet. So, just wondering how many have done this and how was it? Are they cooked in the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants? I am thinking about definitely taking him up on it, especially if the first one is delicious! Thanks for any info!

5 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I have always been able to find good food on any RCCL ship and I also think a lot depends on the chefs. I am just glad that I don't have to cook to be honest and enjoy all of the service! That said, DH doesn't like to splurge for the specialty dining venues (since food is included in the cruise price) but tells me that, if I really don't care for the menu in the MDR, just order and pay extra for a nice filet. So, just wondering how many have done this and how was it? Are they cooked in the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants? I am thinking about definitely taking him up on it, especially if the first one is delicious! Thanks for any info!

Laura had one on the Brilliance a few years ago. It was not as nice as the ones cooked in Chops 

• Thanks 1

I've seen some rough plates in the MDR in the past but on our recent Anthem cruise, food seemed improved in the MDR and WJ. One night we had a good dinner in MDR then realized it was Indian night at WJ so we ate another meal. I like the theme nights in WJ. Desserts also seemed less jellied, and on at least one night there was a cake bar (served by crew) at WJ. The cookies are always good. The one disappointment for us was Cafe Promenade, it used to be so good.

• Like 1

We are frequent RC cruisers.  We noticed the food was really going downhill and it was quite disappointing.  On our last cruise on the Harmony we noticed a tremendous improvement.  I met two men from the culinary department and told them how much better it was.  Turns out they have a new director for culinary and he seems to be making tremendous improvements.  So glad RC listened to feedback 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Judyrem said:

😋I love food discussions!

I think of the song from Oliver...."food glorious food..........."

And this discussion is definitely not an old topic!  I love the helpful comments.  Rather than start a new post, it's nice to have fellow members add on!

• Like 1

In my experience, food quality (along with a long list of other things to rate) can be extremely ship specific.  I think it really comes down to the "hotel" and BoH (back of house) management overseeing operations.  Each ship uniquely reflects the competency of the folks who manage the guest's experience, and is like visiting a differing hotels all under the same brand name.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 2

It’s interesting...we have friends who have done 55 cruises, 90% on RCI.  After every cruise I ask how the food was, and they always say, “meh,” but RCI is as their favorite cruise line.  To DH and I, great food is one of the things we look for on a cruise.  We have done several cruises on Celebrity, several on Princess, one on RCI (and a couple of river cruises).  The food in Celebrity Blu and Luminae was great and in the MDR it was good.  Princess MDR had great food. The one RCI was on Radiance in 2000, and the food was terrible.  Some was overcooked and most lacked flavor.  We are trying Harmony in November and hoping for memorable food.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

That's good to hear!  Let's hope they become more consistent!

5 hours ago, dreamer976 said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that the food quality (and menu up in the WJ) varies from ship to ship and has EVERYTHING to do with the Head Chef aboard. 

I’ve been cruising w/RC since 2003 and have had great food, meh food and pretty bad food and/or selections. Nothing has ever compared to the food aboard Serenade OTS, December ‘17. Everything (with only one exception, the dressing w/the roast turkey entree in MDR was GOD AWFUL!) in all venues was very good and there were many more selections available in WJ than I had ever seen before. WJ had a different theme every night that we were there. 

I didn't know the WJ has themed nights.  I must look for it on our upcoming cruise.  Do they list the themes on the cruise compass?  I don't remember seeing it, or I could have just missed it.