Leaving a cruise before the end

chelsea922

Has anyone had any experience with leaving a ship before a final port? We are looking at taking a ship to South America to pick up a cruise tour in South America. In order to make it in time, we would have to leave one cruise a few days early in order to catch the second leg in time.

It would save us a 14 hour flight and cost only about $1,800 more and we would get 9 days of cruising - sounds good to me but I'm wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this and are there any tips for talking to the cruise line about it.

We would be leaving an American port and every port after would be foreign so I don't think the foreign port issue would be a problem.

Thoughts or comments?

Has anyone had any experience with leaving a ship before a final port? We are looking at taking a ship to South America to pick up a cruise tour in South America. In order to make it in time, we would have to leave one cruise a few days early in order to catch the second leg in time.

It would save us a 14 hour flight and cost only about $1,800 more and we would get 9 days of cruising - sounds good to me but I'm wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this and are there any tips for talking to the cruise line about it.

We would be leaving an American port and every port after would be foreign so I don't think the foreign port issue would be a problem.

Thoughts or comments?

While it appears that the cruise you will be leaving early is not a closed loop cruise, so the PVSA won't apply, you still need to clear it with the cruise line before your first cruise that you wish to debark early. What are the actual embarkation and debarkation ports of your first leg? I mean the ones scheduled, not the ones you are planning to get on and off at.

They are the ones who say "yes" or "no".

It may be possible that the port you want to get off in can't handle immigration for debarking guests, or luggage handling, you never know.

Edited by Shmoo here

We embark in San Diego and the cruise stops in Lima but we want to get off in Panama City.

You're not leaving Panama at the airport without an Immigration entrance stamp showing you legally entered Panama.

How you going to swing that?

If memory serves the Pacific-side "port" for Panama City is nothing but a tender dock in more or less the middle of nowhere. Extremely unlikely there will be any authorities available to process your disembarkation. Plus the practical matter of taking all your bags ashore at a tender stop--even if somehow the ship allows it they will offer no luggage assistance.

We had to leave our last cruise early due to a bereavement. I informed guest services, filled out a 'curtailment of cruise' form, and had to wait for Bermudian immigration officials to grant us clearance to leave the ship. The ship made sure we had help with our luggage leaving the ship and It was pretty straightforward actually.

In your case however, I think I'd ask the cruise line or your TA to try and get this orchestrated before you go. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And what happens if the ship has to skip the port? Although that probably won't happen, they won't guarantee stopping there unless it's the port of disembarkation for the cruise. Weather, dock worker's strike, civil unrest, engine problems, etc., could force the ship to skip that port.

Def get approval ahead and writing. And just double check if you need a visa and whether or you'll have it. Some countries require visa's but will waive them for a cruise stop. But with you disembarking, even though you might be re-embarking right away, it may cause you to not meet the conditions of the waiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had to leave our last cruise early due to a bereavement. I informed guest services, filled out a 'curtailment of cruise' form, and had to wait for Bermudian immigration officials to grant us clearance to leave the ship. The ship made sure we had help with our luggage leaving the ship and It was pretty straightforward actually.

In your case however, I think I'd ask the cruise line or your TA to try and get this orchestrated before you go. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Def get approval ahead and writing. And just double check if you need a visa and whether or you'll have it. Some countries require visa's but will waive them for a cruise stop. But with you disembarking, even though you might be re-embarking right away, it may cause you to not meet the conditions of the waiver.

Thank you for the great information and suggestions. I appreciate the help.

You're not leaving Panama at the airport without an Immigration entrance stamp showing you legally entered Panama.

How you going to swing that?

The same agency in Panama who would process your exit would, of course, have had to process your entry. This, of course, is a key procedure which needs to be arranged through the cruise line for them to clear your early departure from the ship.

On many cruises, entertainers board and debark ships at other than primary ports - so of course that sort of arrangement can be made - the cruise line has to make those arrangements.