First times cruising from Port Everglades-Need hotel

mitsugirly

Another vote for Hyatt Place 17th St using Value Trips.

We stayed there last March and found it to be clean and convenient. Easily walked to Harbor Place shops for dinner, to the supermarket for sunscreen and some other incidentals as well as Total Wine for our two-bottles to carry on.

Breakfast was included in our rate...we paid $200 for one night. About a $15 cab ride to the port.

We're staying there again this March, again $200 for the night through Value Trips while the Hyatt website lists prices in the $320 range.

We're also staying this March...got our dates at $219.00...glad I booked when I did (when dates were released) as they've added our dates to a blackout...but have checked directly with Hyatt Place and confirmed.

Great to know .. Thank you. Hadn't ventured in that direction. Do you know if they sell wine? The Walgreens next to Sleep inn does not.

Debr

Would like to know the answer to that question. It would save us having to head over to Publix for our precruise shopping.;)

We fly to FLL all the time for cruises, but we have always cruised out of Port Canaveral or Miami and had to get transportation there.

This will be our first cruise from Port Everglades.

Where is a good place to stay for the night? Any that offer free transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port?

We need some place that is located within walking distance to food for dinner (doesn't have to be fancy...can be as simple as McDonalds) and also walking distance to a store (for "soda" and can be a gas station).

If it's a place that offers free hot breakfast...please let me know.

Let me know your thoughts. :)

Springhill Suites in Dania Beach. Free shuttles, good hot breakfast, several fast food places within a block and a Kmart nearby for soda and misc.

Great to know .. Thank you. Hadn't ventured in that direction. Do you know if they sell wine? The Walgreens next to Sleep inn does not.

Debr

It's directly across the street clearly visible. When was the last time you were there?

Yes, it's a full sized grocery store with beer, wine, produce section, bakery, deli, meat department, pharmacy, etc.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Would like to know the answer to that question. It would save us having to head over to Publix for our precruise shopping.;)

It opened in September, so if you haven't been there in the last 4 months you wouldn't know about it.

Is hyatt place a nightmare with tons of cruisers all trying to leave at the same time? We stayed at the Hilton last time we left from Everglades and it was a zoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We didn't find it an issue at all, though we departed FLL on a Friday which is not generally a big ship day.

We did opt to use a taxi rather than sign up for the shuttle they offer (for a fee). I believe there were two other couples waiting for taxis along with us when we left for the pier around 10:30am.

It's directly across the street clearly visible. When was the last time you were there?

Yes, it's a full sized grocery store with beer, wine, produce section, bakery, deli, meat department, pharmacy, etc.

It opened in September, so if you haven't been there in the last 4 months you wouldn't know about it.

Thanks, good to know.

I haven't been there since last Feb. Seceral of us would like to know if they sell wine?

Debr

Hi Mitsugirly, I did some poking around and it looks like he Holiday Inn Express on 17th St has some pretty reasonable rates, with a free 24 hour airport shuttle, breakfast and shuttle to the port with a small fee. There also appears to be a Walgreens within walking distance, but I'm not sure about restaurants.

@mitsugirly, my daughter and I are booked via Hotwire at Sleep Inn FLL (Dania) next week for our Jan 14th cruise. We paid $175 all in, includes comp transportation from airport and $10pp transport to port (we'll UBER instead). When I booked it mid-summer the reviews were 3.5 or so, they seem to have gone downhill since then but alas we booked non-refundable so we'll be staying there:D

Its within walking distance of both a Walmart and Walgreens, 3m from the airport and 3m from Hollywood Beach. Our thought is to hit Hollywood Beach when we arrive that afternoon, walk around, possibly have dinner there. If weather doesn't cooperate, there is a restaurant in a stripmall within walking distance named Hemingways which gets great reviews...that is our second option.

If your cruise is after the 20th, feel free to PM me and I'll fill in all the details for you. When I was looking this was by far the least expensive place to stay including fleabag hotels.

Last year my husband and I cruised out of FLL in January and scored the Hard Rock Seminole for cheap $$, I think $350 for two nights. It was a fantastic stay for pre-cruise. I rented a car at the airport but can't remember where I dropped it off before embarking but it didn't cost much, I think the car rental was less than $100 for two days. Loved the Hard Rock.

Happy Cruising , Brenda

The HI Express is a block or so away from the Embassy Suites and within walking distance of the same restaurants as are within walking distance of the ES.

Roz

We fly to FLL all the time for cruises, but we have always cruised out of Port Canaveral or Miami and had to get transportation there.

This will be our first cruise from Port Everglades.

Where is a good place to stay for the night? Any that offer free transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port?

We need some place that is located within walking distance to food for dinner (doesn't have to be fancy...can be as simple as McDonalds) and also walking distance to a store (for "soda" and can be a gas station).

If it's a place that offers free hot breakfast...please let me know.

Let me know your thoughts. :)

What are your dates?

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. I definitely want a "cheaper" deal, but no critters for sure! Eek :eek:

Please keep me posted. I'm just starting to explore the options.

Thanks so much!

We've stayed at the Embassy and found it to be just ok. Very crowded and expensive for what you're actually getting. Last cruise out of PE, we stayed at the renaissance for a great price and walked over to Shula burger for lunch and Southport Raw Bar for dinner. It's so close to the port so a very cheap and quick taxi. For breakfast we grabbed a few things from Publix the night before.

In October 6 of us stayed at the Riverside Inn on Las Olas Blvd. Paid for a shuttle to the hotel and same driver took us to the port. AMAZING location and beautiful old school Florida hotel. Nice bars and restaurants within walking distance and the ladies totally felt safe wondering away from our husbands. Breakfast across the street at a Bistro was super nice too. Would def recommend.

Whew, I just made a list of all of the suggestions (hopefully I didn't miss any).

Hyatt Place near 17th: $2/pp from airport to hotel, $7/pp shuttle to cruiseport, free breakfast and walking distance to stuff (I see some type of stripmall a block or two over). $315 night This is the ONLY FLL hotel on valuetrips and it's for $219

Embassy Suites (17th St): trans for airport/cruise port, happy hour, breakfast, shopping next door (Right by Hyatt Place so strip mall near with food) $282

Hyatt Regency: airport shuttle, breakfast (Looks like it's kinda surrounded by houses and water only and no place to walk for food or soda for the cruise). $216 for "members" (not sure what you have to do for member) or $249 standard rate

Holiday Inn Express-17th St: airport trans, breakfast, port shuttle for $$, Walgreens next door (plenty of places to walk to there). $233.38

Sleep Inn-Dania: Walmart close $191 non-refund.

Hampton Inn-Plantation: air/cruise shuttle, mall and grocery (I see the mall across the street) $197

Riverside Hotel-Las Olas Blvd: walking distance to places (I don't see any fast food in the area, but I guess if we stayed here we'd have to do a more upscale dining?) $239

Renaissance- (I definitely see things around there that would suit our needs) $246

Crowne Plaza (There seems to be only a pizza place around there, so not sure) $236.18

Springhill Suites-Dania: shuttles, breakfast, food near (yep, looking at this area, I believe we have stayed here before as well. I can't remember our experience off the top of my head and will have to go back and look). $284

I have to say, I'm still in shock at these prices. I have stayed in the area before and don't ever remember them being like this. Yikes!

I have stayed at Sleep Inn Dania before and it was a terrible experience from the 2 VERY SLOW ALMOST NON-EXISTENT working elevators to the overly crowded breakfast with no place to sit and eat area and even though they were remodeling, you could tell the place was very old and they were just painting over stuff instead of repairing (if this is the same place). Then the only place to really eat was an Asian place across the street that was just not friendly.

I definitely have to stay somewhere that there's a place to walk to and get soda for the cruise and also a place with food (and preferably a "cheap" place like fast food). By the time we fly in, the last thing on my mind is getting dressed to go out to eat and I just want to find something cheap, eat, and get back to relax.

I have to say though, looking at google earth and the locations of these places, I'm not sure about any place in Plantation, that's kinda going in the opposite way from the airport and opposite way from where the cruise port is as well.

I was checking out the Bahia Mar the other night (it popped up for $84 for my dates and then once I started checking other places and came back, the price jumped to $249).

Edited by mitsugirly

I still think Hyatt Place would work best. Hate the cruise crowds at ES. Hyatt Place is never frenetic. Shopping center next to Hyatt OR behind ES (same place). There is s very good hamburger joint in the shopping center called Gilbert's 17th St Grill that many cruisers know about. They are closed on Sundays, however. if not in the mood to dine fancy style, then Gilbert's is perfect. There is also 5 guys burgers and fries, as well as too many to mention. The distance between Renaissance and ES is about a 15-minute walk if you are a moderate paced walker. Maybe 25 mins if you are a slow walker? The Hyatt near the port is due to be a non Hyatt I believe in the very near future.

Yes, Riverside hotel not near fast food places. Cheesecake Factory right next door. Nice place to eat at the hotel and immediately surrounding area. very noisy hallways in old part of hotel, tile floors, so we heard EVERYTHING. it was worth $109 to us. It wouldn't have been worth $200, however.

$219 is a great rate for Hyatt Place. We paid $378 (tax included) 2 years ago for March, booking one month out [emoji33]

we used to get it for $199 or on points. Yep. Hotels all pricey now.

CROWNE Plaza not really near food joints. UBER would be a solution though.

We love that the shopping center near ES and Hyatt Place has Total Wine, TJ Maxx, many food places, and Publix, for our last minute shopping needs for toiletries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still think Hyatt Place would work best. Hate the cruise crowds at ES. Hyatt Place is never frenetic. Shopping center next to Hyatt OR behind ES (same place). There is s very good hamburger joint in the shopping center called Gilbert's 17th St Grill that many cruisers know about. They are closed on Sundays, however. if not in the mood to dine fancy style, then Gilbert's is perfect. There is also 5 guys burgers and fries, as well as too many to mention. The distance between Renaissance and ES is about a 15-minute walk if you are a moderate paced walker. Maybe 25 mins if you are a slow walker? The Hyatt near the port is due to be a non Hyatt I believe in the very near future.

Yes, Riverside hotel not near fast food places. Cheesecake Factory right next door. Nice place to eat at the hotel and immediately surrounding area. very noisy hallways in old part of hotel, tile floors, so we heard EVERYTHING. it was worth $109 to us. It wouldn't have been worth $200, however.

$219 is a great rate for Hyatt Place. We paid $378 (tax included) 2 years ago for March, booking one month out [emoji33]

we used to get it for $199 or on points. Yep. Hotels all pricey now.

CROWNE Plaza not really near food joints. UBER would be a solution though.

We love that the shopping center near ES and Hyatt Place has Total Wine, TJ Maxx, many food places, and Publix, for our last minute shopping needs for toiletries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will check into Hyatt Place a little deeper. It sounds like a good place.

We will be there Friday night (cruising Sat), so Gilbert's would work for us.

As for the walk, walking is not a problem for the most part BUT we have to take into consideration where we are walking (meaning traffic/danger/sidewalks closer to the street and so on) because we will have our young daughter with us...so safety first. The other consideration is that we will only be walking to 1) eat somewhere and 2) going to get pop (soda). We won't need anything else (don't drink wine, bring all our toiletries and everything else needed and never buy any last minute items). So depending on how far the walk is...pop is HEAVY to carry and we really don't want to have to go blocks and blocks carrying it back with a child in tow. That's why the location has to be perfect for us.

Riverside...Ohhhh The Cheesecake Factory. YES! I would definitely do that. Now you're talking (I know not "fast food", but I love that place). :D But if you say it's noisy with the tiles and not worth the price (now $239), I might have to mark that off my list.

I have booked MANY times with Trinity and they have a deal for HAMPTON INN AIRPORT SOUTH, located at 2500 Stirling Rd with free airport shuttle, $10pp to cruise port and hot breakfast for $215 total...no taxes or anything paid when you book with them. This is right across the street and diagonal to Springhill Suites and I do remember that it's located on the side with all the "stuff" and I do remember making a comment about if we ever stayed in that area, I would look up some of the places on that side. ANYONE STAYED HERE? (I guess I should mention that this hotels price is actually $305 with Hilton Honors discount if booked with the hotel and around $263 if you book using something like priceline)

Edited by mitsugirly

Holy moly! This is the jackpot thread for me, I posted almost the same question last night and only got once response. (Thank you lido_deck) Anyway, thanks for compiling the info, when are your dates? I'm looking at 3/31 and was debating on la Quinta in plantation,.. Then looked at map and realized we're going like 20 min in opposite direction as port... Seems silly but might be the only option?

Edited by SugarStar00

Holy moly! This is the jackpot thread for me, I posted almost the same question last night and only got once response. (Thank you lido_deck) Anyway, thanks for compiling the info, when are your dates? I'm looking at 3/31 and was debating on la Quinta in plantation,.. Then looked at map and realized we're going like 20 min in opposite direction as port... Seems silly but might be the only option?

There are two La Quintas in Plantation only a few blocks apart, Peters Road and 6th Street. You'll be pleased with either one of them. Yes, it's 20 minutes west of Port Everglades, but it's quick to get on I-595 and a straight shot. They ain't the beach but they should be a lot less expensive in a very good area. Taxi from the airport would be around $50 so you want to use Uber or Lyft if you don't have a rental car.

la Quinta in plantation,.. Then looked at map and realized we're going like 20 min in opposite direction as port... Seems silly but might be the only option?

There are two La Quintas in Plantation only a few blocks apart, Peters Road and 6th Street. You'll be pleased with either one of them. Yes, it's 20 minutes west of Port Everglades, but it's quick to get on I-595 and a straight shot. They ain't the beach but they should be a lot less expensive in a very good area. Taxi from the airport would be around $50 so you want to use Uber or Lyft if you don't have a rental car.

This is my thought exactly. I really don't want to go in the opposite direction of where I'll be going and $50 to get to the porch...well, I'd rather just put that into the price of the hotel and be closer. Just my thoughts, but I'll still check it out. (Never used Uber or heard of Lyft and the thoughts of just getting in a strangers car that's working for themselves with this app is just weird to me, even though my brother-in-law does Uber on the side in the past. I don't know what type of background checks they have to pass or what all is involved...may be totally off base with this, but not something I've checked in to).