What do you know about Edge?

jules815

Comparing the steel profile cut out of Edge to AidaPrima we see that there is very little distance from the vertical bow to the sweep of the fdw end of the cabin area compared to the Prima.... Dare I speculate some more that this will be a catamaran hull?

I don't know the specifics, but I very much doubt it is possible to build such a large cat. It would be necessary to have a very strong connection to keep two such very large hulls together in rough seas where the forces acting on them would differ, which strikes me as not being feasible or anyway practical. The largest cat I know of was a military craft that displaced only about 1,700 tons, a fraction of the weight of a large cruise ship. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

I don't know the specifics, but I very much doubt it is possible to build such a large cat. It would be necessary to have a very strong connection to keep two such very large hulls together in rough seas where the forces acting on them would differ, which strikes me as not being feasible or anyway practical. The largest cat I know of was a military craft that displaced only about 1,700 tons, a fraction of the weight of a large cruise ship. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

I think the Radisson Diamond was a small/mid size cruise ship with a cat hull?

She was and had a very stable ride by all reports. The Catamaran hull design resulted in a wide short ship with lots of open space between the waterline and the underside of the section connecting the two hulls. She reportedly was harder to manouver into/out of ports than other vessels and passengers flow was also rather awkward. Her service speed is very low compared to almost all other cruise vessels at only 12.5 knots. She now sails as China Star for Asia Cruises.

As far as I know she was the ONLY commercial cruise vessel ever built with a Catamaran hull design. I would think if there had been a strong benefit to the design on a larger scale we would have seen it implemented before now.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

It was/is a SWATH, which is a twin hull design but different from a cat -- the hulls are mostly underwater where the wave action is attenuated, like two submarines supporting a top structure. Even then there would be problems scaling it up, and the design has various other technical limitations. Such vessels are also expensive to build given the weight of materials vs. the enclosed space.

It has/had a pax capacity of 350, small by Edge standards. It is still in service as the M/V China Star.

Actually if one looks closely at that photo it does appear there may be some "bulbousness" to that AIDA bow.

The normal job of a bulb is to create a wave that cancels out the effect of the wave created by the bow itself, ultimately reducing drag. But with this straight bow, who knows the effects without a towing tank and/or a really big computer.

Bulbousness of the bow on the Edge ship might possibly be confirmed by the photo that has been posted earlier thread about the first steel cut.

arcelormittal-fournira-l-acier-des-paquebots-edge-stx.jpg

Perhaps that steel is a portion of the bow, with the bulbousness being the wider part that will be just below water level most of the time??? I guess we'll know eventually.

I found a direct forward photo of the AIDAprima bow online and the bow does go down to an integrated bulb. Unlike raked prows the bow just goes straight down so the bulb shape is different and not as obvious. The SS Normandie and SS France both had a similar bow/bulb design to the AIDAprima/EDGE class and were always known for their smooth rides. I rather like the AIDAprima bow, other than the artwork, and think it will look nice on the EDGE class.

I do agree that the EDGE superstructure may sit more forward on the bow that the AIDAprima, which could foreshorten the bows graceful sweep. The Solstice Class always seemed "stubby" upfront for this very reason when compared to the Millennium Class

We were in same port with that amazing vessel...had all the water toys off the back...Vowed to book it, even tho expensive, but i think the company went out of business..not sure????

My sense is that Edge is not going in that direction...

We were in same port with that amazing vessel...had all the water toys off the back...Vowed to book it, even tho expensive, but i think the company went out of business..not sure????

My sense is that Edge is not going in that direction...

Radisson cruise line became Radission Seven Seas cruises which then became Regent Seven Seas. The Radisson Diamond, Song of Flower and Paul Gauguin were the fleet back around 1995-1999 before the Seven Seas Navigator, née Regent Navigator was introduced. The branding was changed from Radisson to Regent when then owners Carlson travel acquired the Regent hotel chain as they felt the Regent image reflected the upscale nature of the line better than the Radisson brand as it added new ships and shed the older less deluxe vessels.

Regarding the AIDAprima hull artwork mentioned several times above, that appears to be the same on their entire fleet. I guess the Germans like it!

Yes, the same hull art appears on all AIDA vessels. It's a love it or hate it scenario, much like the NCL hull art. I'm personally not a fan.

Yes, the same hull art appears on all AIDA vessels. It's a love it or hate it scenario, much like the NCL hull art. I'm personally not a fan.

It's the modern trend though. Recent P&O UK, even Princess and now P&O Aust are adding them to newbuilds. Probably viewed as helping them stand out more to the mass market who otherwise just 'see another cruise ship.'

As E class is longer, wider and at least as deep as M class they will not be able to visit any port M class can't go to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Probably correct which is why most ports wanting to encourage cruise ships seem to be building berthing facilities to cope with ships of 300-350m length, certainly big enough to cope with most of the new builds.

The smaller cruise destinations, which could not cope with 3000-5000 passengers, will become the preserve of the luxury lines which have fewer passengers and smaller ships.

However on checking ships dimensions it is interesting to note that Pacific Princess and Adonia are about half the length of the Oasis class, but only carry about 700/750 passengers compared to Harmony's 5500, which is one of the reasons the cruise lines prefer to build the bigger ships.

It's the latest design thinking. It makes it easier for the ship to cut through the water, since the "axe" bow does a better job of cutting through the waves than the slanted bow, which has a slight tendency to try to ride up over the waves instead of through them. The new vertical bow is said to be more efficient and provide sea-keeping abilities that are equal to or greater than the traditional flared bow. It is also said to cause less stress and strain on the vessel as she slices through heavy seas instead of trying to part them as the usual flared bow does.

Aida has already launched it's latest cruise ship with this design, and has four more on order. Hurtigruten and Crystal Cruises have also ordered ships with this bow design. (source: http://thecruisepeople.ca/cruiseblog/?p=1265)

The photo below is of Aidaprima under construction showing the new bow design.

25c192415bd3c9928824830683d6b3af.jpg

Everything that is OLD is NEW again...that is when no imagination ...

What has imagination have to do with it? If it's more efficient, isn't that reason enough to use a design? After all, this is a working machine, and using designs that make the machine work better is the smart thing to do.

Since you seek imagination, maybe these concept designs are what you would rather see?

hotel-770.jpg

c7cdb6f200b4d36a7d5f2bccf3737130.jpg

visquest.jpg

20413_banner.jpg

andrea-baratelli-baratelli-2015-ship-study.jpg?1437850784

Edited by SantaFeFan

As far as I am concerned they can keep the cupboard, it's useful for some things. But they could ALSO give us proper drawers in the side tables, more shelving in the room so we can get the magazines and other junk off the desk top. In other words, keep what they have and also give us more storage. Fingers crossed.

You seem to be implying that things like hull design are done for esthetic reasons. Be assured esthetics has next to nothing to do with it -- hull designs are chosen for reasons of efficiency and performance, and relate to the types of seas, ports, propulsion systems, stabilization systems, projected fuel cost, and other considerations that go into the overall decision process. The hull shape selected will be the one that yields the best expected trade-offs, i.e. is considered optimal for a particular vessel in its proposed service. Technology is always changing, so the trade-offs and resulting design choices will vary over time even if the other factors don't, but they do too. Making these types of decisions is what managers get paid to do.

What has imagination have to do with it? If it's more efficient, isn't that reason enough to use a design? After all, this is a working machine, and using designs that make the machine work better is the smart thing to do.

Since you seek imagination, maybe these concept designs are what you would rather see?

hotel-770.jpg

It's different. But looks a lot of fun! :)

I would bet that edge class will be focussed on a suite class ship within a ship. So wonderful facilities for those that pay for them and restricted facilities and space for those who scrimp and save to afford a 'modern luxury' cruise in steerage. Strange how Titanic comes to mind. Maybe X could reclassify non suite passengers as third class to fit that theme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Radisson cruise line became Radission Seven Seas cruises which then became Regent Seven Seas. The Radisson Diamond, Song of Flower and Paul Gauguin were the fleet back around 1995-1999 before the Seven Seas Navigator, née Regent Navigator was introduced. The branding was changed from Radisson to Regent when then owners Carlson travel acquired the Regent hotel chain as they felt the Regent image reflected the upscale nature of the line better than the Radisson brand as it added new ships and shed the older less deluxe vessels.

Thank you for that history...is the twin hull ship still in use? Looked like so much fun....lots of watersports !

Since Celebrity has not published many details regarding Edge class ships, at this point, we can only speculate/wish for/ hope for.

There is one thing for sure; a preponderance of us here are going to ridicule it. That's our job!

Edited by richsea

I would bet that edge class will be focussed on a suite class ship within a ship. So wonderful facilities for those that pay for them and restricted facilities and space for those who scrimp and save to afford a 'modern luxury' cruise in steerage. Strange how Titanic comes to mind. Maybe X could reclassify non suite passengers as third class to fit that theme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For arguments sake lets assume Edge will be a suite class ship within a ship, why do non suite passengers have to lose out at all? Surely the ship will be designed to give them everything they have on an S class ship?

For arguments sake lets assume Edge will be a suite class ship within a ship, why do non suite passengers have to lose out at all? Surely the ship will be designed to give them everything they have on an S class ship?

Depends entirely on how much more space if any they take away from the regular passengers. They've already taken away MDR space and Michaels club.

Edited by dkjretired

Depends entirely on how much more space if any they take away from the regular passengers. They've already taken away MDR space and Michaels club.

This is a moot point though because it relates only to M and S class ships. This discussion is in reference to the new E class ships which are being designed from scratch.