Dress code question

carlyshenk

This is not so much about the dress code, I understand that. We cruised last Jan/Feb and my husband wore his tux and I wore a long dress on the appropriate evenings and we didn't feel "out of place". We're cruising again next month and I was wondering if that's still the case. We do enjoy dressing up a few nights, but we don't want to be the only ones. So, my question is are there enough people who still wear formal wear or would we feel awkward if we dress up?

This is not so much about the dress code, I understand that. We cruised last Jan/Feb and my husband wore his tux and I wore a long dress on the appropriate evenings and we didn't feel "out of place". We're cruising again next month and I was wondering if that's still the case. We do enjoy dressing up a few nights, but we don't want to be the only ones. So, my question is are there enough people who still wear formal wear or would we feel awkward if we dress up?

If you didn't feel out of place last year, why would you feel awkward (BTW only you will know if you will feel awkward or not) on your upcoming Cruise. Why let others influence the both of you on what you wear or want to wear. Obviously you are aware of the dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening so if want to wear your long dress and tux go for it. Enjoy your Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

Just went on the Reflection in December. Many were in suits, tuxes and military dress uniforms. Nobody "looked out of place", however, they did stand out imo; but at the same time that could have been their objective also. You never know.

Thanks to all of you! Yes, I do know that the code has changed and now jacket is required for men. I just wanted some other opinions.

Carol

I think you meant "not required". ;o) IMO Celebrity's suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening gives you plenty of options. Bon Voyage.

I don't think it's a silly question at all.

I was wondering the same thing.

We're on the Eclipse for all of February and, while it might be nice not to have the weight of the tux, we enjoy dressing up for some of the evenings.

Last year we figured that a lot of people hadn't yet heard about the switch to smart (boy is that a loaded word) casual . Now it's been over a year and so we, too, wondered if tuxes and formal wear have been totally abandoned.

Edited by chamima

There is a sticky that deals with Dress codes on Celebrity ships. I just wish posters when considering asking questions pertaining to CEebrity ships spent 5 or ten minutes scrolling through the various pages and their questions would have been dealt with in a lot of instances

There is a sticky that deals with Dress codes on Celebrity ships. I just wish posters when considering asking questions pertaining to CEebrity ships spent 5 or ten minutes scrolling through the various pages and their questions would have been dealt with in a lot of instances

While your comment is valid in many instances, Bean (because I agree that the search function and even Google can be used to answer many questions), in this case she is asking for people's recent personal experiences, not what the actual dress code is.

On our cruise last fall we saw everything from Hawaiian shirts and dockers to full-on tuxes and gowns. Everyone seemed happy because they were happy in what they were wearing and no one looked out of place.

Responses like this, keep me from asking questions. I spend most of the time just researching so that I am not bothering anyone or made to feel like I should not ask the question.

Responses like this, keep me from asking questions. I spend most of the time just researching so that I am not bothering anyone or made to feel like I should not ask the question.

I made my comment based on the number of repeat questions popping up on the forums. It is in many instances laziness. Rather than doing the research it is simpler and easier for an OP just to ask a question that has been addressed many times previously. Dress Codes being a case in point and why the sticky was invoked. It will not surprise me to see this thread moved to the sticky once the mods do their routine check of the forum

You should not feel intimidated to ask a question on CC. There are a lot of knowledgeable posters that can offer a lot of good advise, suggestions and recommendations. Just ignore the (few) others.

Edited by davekathy

While your comment is valid in many instances, Bean (because I agree that the search function and even Google can be used to answer many questions), in this case she is asking for people's recent personal experiences, not what the actual dress code is.

On our cruise last fall we saw everything from Hawaiian shirts and dockers to full-on tuxes and gowns. Everyone seemed happy because they were happy in what they were wearing and no one looked out of place.

Your comments re dress codes on Celebrity are in keeping with everyone's responses since the dress code was changed nearly a year ago. In fact it was not untypical of dress on Celebrity ships prior to the change which is I understand to be one of the reasons to change from "Formal" to "Elegant Chic" Those who do will , those who don't wont

I'm so sorry I took up your time. I titled my post so that anyone who wasn't interested in answering my question didn't have to open it!

And, by the way, I had checked the sticky and it has been closed and I wanted opinions of people who have cruised in the past year.

Edited by carlyshenk

Not on the Silhouette last month (for 2 weeks), You do know that formal nights have been replaced by Gala nights that require only a collared shirt for men -- no jacket or tie required?

I don't think it's a silly question at all.

I was wondering the same thing.

We're on the Eclipse for all of February and, while it might be nice not to have the weight of the tux, we enjoy dressing up for some of the evenings.

Last year we figured that a lot of people hadn't yet heard about the switch to smart (boy is that a loaded word) casual . Now it's been over a year and so we, too, wondered if tuxes and formal wear have been totally abandoned.

Celebrity actually calls it "Evening Chic". After 3 cruises under these new guidelines, I still have no idea what Evening Chic is :rolleyes:. So, I wear a tux or dinner jacket, or on my last 2 cruises, sport coat and tie. There are still enough tuxes that I wouldn't feel out of place.

You CANNOT be "over-dressed" on the formal nights, no matter what anyone else wears!

Absolutely agree, wear what you like, I will be wearing my tux on the Equinox in a few days time, who cares what everyone else is wearing, it's your cruise.

Mike

There were four or five wearing a tux in December. I wore a long sleeved dress shirt like about 50%. About 35% had a suit or sport jacket and 10% in short sleeved shirts. I don't think you would feel awkward even though not many wear tuxes because it's still a dressy evening.

This was the third cruise I have done with Evening Chic and the number of tux and suits has been less each time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Although Hubs and I for the time being enjoy simply dressing "chic", we certainly enjoy seeing the passengers who dress elegant. I LOVE seeing a couple in tux and gown! And I would say there are many, many of them! And many suits and ties and lots of sparkly cocktail dresses! Anything goes and I think if you enjoy dressing up, do it!

I made my comment based on the number of repeat questions popping up on the forums. It is in many instances laziness. Rather than doing the research it is simpler and easier for an OP just to ask a question that has been addressed many times previously. Dress Codes being a case in point and why the sticky was invoked. It will not surprise me to see this thread moved to the sticky once the mods do their routine check of the forum

You might be right. But I did do my research and found a old thread about specially restaurants lunches, My question was if they might have them in Qsine. The thread was a year or 2 old. Si I brought it back to life. Someone was critical that the thread was 2 years old. So should I do research or not. Seems your going to get questioned either way.