Island Princess Aft Vista Suite Review: Aloha 729

RSF Cruiser

We just got off the Island on a 15 night Panama Canal cruise and stayed in a Vista Suite (A729). This is one of the new suites that several people have complained about there being heavy vibrations and movement.

We loved the cabin! The balcony is at least 50% larger than a regular suite balcony – the balcony is at least the length of three and a half rooms. We were a little concerned that is it uncovered, but that turned out not to be a problem – the balcony side walls provided some shade most of the day. The new furniture is very comfortable, although there were only two chairs for the table.

The inside of the cabin is bright, modern, and wonderful. They substituted the sink in the bar area with a second sink in the bathroom. One room has the toilet and a sink, the other room the shower, tub, and a sink, with plenty of counter space. The two TVs are large screens and wall mounted. We don’t watch DVDs on a cruise, but I did not see a DVD player even though there was the listing of available DVDs.

There is no walk in closet. Instead, there is a double closet in the bedroom with a higher and lower bar for hanging clothes. In the living room, there is another closet to hang long items. There’s also a closet in the bedroom with shelves and a safe.

The only drawers in the bedroom is in the end tables and the side of the desk. We had to use the drawers on either side of the desk in the living room for some of our clothes. It wasn’t a problem; just seemed odd.

As for vibrations and movement, this cabin was no different from any other aft suite we’ve been in. When the ship was traveling at 18 or 19 knots, we felt the same amount of vibrations and movement we always feel – the ship rocked us right to sleep. I’m guessing the people who complained about excessive vibrations and movement had never stayed in an aft suite on a high deck before. Some people are sensitive to movement, but fortunately we are not.

We chose the Aloha deck since we were concerned about noise from the teen center and liked the larger balcony. If we are on the Island again, I would get either of the Aloha aft suites. We enjoy being directly above the wake.

We had that cabin for our Alaska cruise in Aug. we had a problem with soot on the balcony, bad enough that I left my mark when I came in and sat on the couch. Glad you didn't have that problem.

We enjoyed the cabin otherwise, especially the sound of the wake.

It takes a card in the slot to keep the lights on which can be a small problem if one person is leaving the other in the room, the one leaving has to take his key card and the lights go out after a few minutes. an old keycard would solve that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bigchid

We had that cabin for our Alaska cruise in Aug. we had a problem with soot on the balcony, bad enough that I left my mark when I came in and sat on the couch. Glad you didn't have that problem.

We enjoyed the cabin otherwise, especially the sound of the wake.

It takes a card in the slot to keep the lights on which can be a small problem if one person is leaving the other in the room, the one leaving has to take his key card and the lights go out after a few minutes. an old keycard would solve that issue.

We had no soot at all. There was a Princess plastic card in the slot, so we had no problems with the lights.

You can use an old hotel card/business card/or anything like that in the slot.

You can use the do not disturb card in the slot as well.

Thats the problem, (not a very big problem) the do not disturb card is used in the door. You can also use the second persons key card. Just saying an extra card might be handy.

Crown, Emerald, Sapphire, Golden, and Grand. Deck varies from Dolphin to Aloha.

Ah! So all Princess ships. That makes a BIG difference. The Princess ships ride very differently than all other aft cabins/suites we've had. They all seem to ride similarly. They feel "loose" like driving a Cadillac vs. a sports car. If that doesn't bother you, then that's great. For us, we've learned to avoid aft cabins with Princess because the creaking noise, excessive movement in wind above 15mph and in seas above 8' (compared to other ships on other lines). If it's all you've ever known, then you're probably fine as you have nothing to compare it to, which can be a good thing I guess. ;)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Ah! So all Princess ships. That makes a BIG difference. The Princess ships ride very differently than all other aft cabins/suites we've had. They all seem to ride similarly. They feel "loose" like driving a Cadillac vs. a sports car. If that doesn't bother you, then that's great. For us, we've learned to avoid aft cabins with Princess because the creaking noise, excessive movement in wind above 15mph and in seas above 8' (compared to other ships on other lines). If it's all you've ever known, then you're probably fine as you have nothing to compare it to, which can be a good thing I guess. ;)

I misunderstood your question - I thought you wanted to know what Princess aft cabins I've been in. I've been in aft cabins on other ships, too - forward and aft have more movement compared to midship, no matter whose ship - it's physics. I'm sure some ships have smoother rides than others, just as you pointed out, some cars are smoother than others. The most stable ride on anything moving is midway front to back and top to bottom. Some people are more sensitive to movement than others. The point of my review was to say Island A729 felt no different to me than any other ship's aft cabin that is on an upper level. There is movement and vibrations, but for me (my opinion), the movements and vibrations were not a problem. After reading some of the early reviews on the Island, I was concerned the vibrations and movement were more than I've experienced on other Princess ships. I wanted to share my experience on Princess ships, and to let people know who generally travel in aft cabins, I found the Island to be the same as the others.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the positive review as we are in this suite on a September 2017 cruise. From a you tube video online, it looks more spacious than the other suites The agent left a message that she had one premium suite and vista suites left. When I called back the premium suite on the Baja deck was gone already. She said she could give a A729, a larger suite at 664 square feet. I asked what the difference was between premium and vista suites and she said its just location on the ship. We looking forward to staying in A729 as it looks awesome.

Edited by shilo5

Thats the problem, (not a very big problem) the do not disturb card is used in the door. You can also use the second persons key card. Just saying an extra card might be handy.

Tear off a piece of the breakfast hang tag menu. Use the back of the little ship map they give you. Anything at all will work to keep the lights on. It doesn't have to be a "card". Princess gives you plenty of useless paper stuff you can modify to use in the slot.

While on the subject of Island Princess aft cabins, we will have D726 in Yeo weeks. Any problem with the AC in this area? We like cool rooms and on HAL good luck hopefully Princess has a better system

We just sailed in A728 while my parents sailed in A729 in August. We both found, upon embarkation, a white Princess key card (like the type used in the Princess lodges in Alaska) already inserted into the slot to keep the power on. We just left it in there the whole sailing so we were able to use the Do Not Disturb hangtag, no need to tear off pieces of the breakfast menu, etc.

And we liked the suite too - nice layout, good size. Just rained a lot during our sailing so we didn't get to use the balcony as much as we would've liked to - but that's Mother Nature for you! :)

@gwenmarie - no issue w/ AC. We were able to adjust the temperature to our liking (the thermostat is somewhat hidden - next to the door to the bathroom from the bedroom - kind of behind the closet.

While on the subject of Island Princess aft cabins, we will have D726 in Yeo weeks. Any problem with the AC in this area? We like cool rooms and on HAL good luck hopefully Princess has a better system

@gwenmarie - no issue w/ AC. We were able to adjust the temperature to our liking (the thermostat is somewhat hidden - next to the door to the bathroom from the bedroom - kind of behind the closet.

Dolphin 726 is not a suite and not a new cabin, it's a mini original to the Island and the Coral.

It would have nothing to do with new suites added on Aloha deck. ;)

Dolphin 726 is not a suite and not a new cabin, it's a mini original to the Island and the Coral.

It would have nothing to do with new suites added on Aloha deck. ;)

Yes, but now it's fully covered. With all the added new aft rooms, could that make a difference in the A/C.

WE have that room on the 19day Panama cruise so I'd be very interested in the A/C. April will be hot.

• 1 month later...
WE have that room on the 19day Panama cruise so I'd be very interested in the A/C. April will be hot.

We loved our cabin but really nice due to the aft facing balcony view. We had side and aft during the Canal time and it was great. The AC was used on max our entire cruise and we were fine most of the time. It seemed stuffy and a bit warmer at night. The couch bed was broken and not usable by our daughter the third adult in our cabin. The steward brought in a rollaway for her use and folded it up each morning so it was against the wall opposite the couch. Everything else was fine in our cabin and clean but couch and carpet needs replacing.

We loved our cabin but really nice due to the aft facing balcony view. We had side and aft during the Canal time and it was great. The AC was used on max our entire cruise and we were fine most of the time. It seemed stuffy and a bit warmer at night. The couch bed was broken and not usable by our daughter the third adult in our cabin. The steward brought in a rollaway for her use and folded it up each morning so it was against the wall opposite the couch. Everything else was fine in our cabin and clean but couch and carpet needs replacing.

Mahalo for the update. Friends on the cruise said they had a good time.