Just boarded Ruby. Main Dining room closed for lunch

vmom

I have been following this thread for awhile. We were on the Ruby just after Thanksgiving and lunch was served in one of the mid ship dining rooms. I have since read that following that cruise the dining room was not being used for us common folks for lunch. Then there was a post that said that was a one trip problem and that it was now open. Now it looks like it is not? Guess I will have to find out for myself and booked another Ruby cruise for March. I mean, inquiring minds need to know these things:D

Update. I went to the dining room again. Different person at the foor, about 45 minutes later and she said that the dining room IS open for all passengers fir lunch.

I think that the first waiter- staff person was not informed and giving out misinformation.

It's possible that the dining room is open but staff is doing that old "deflect" thing saying "go to the buffet." What I would like to know is whether the Club Class side was open for lunch or not.

Bingo. That's exactly what happened.

Sorry that I jumped the gun and posted with out further investigation.

I had 2 waiters tell me the MDR was closed but when I went back, they were seating everyone.

It's possible that the dining room is open but staff is doing that old "deflect" thing saying "go to the buffet." What I would like to know is whether the Club Class side was open for lunch or not.

Yes, we have met with this same scenario many times. When we state that we always start our cruise with lunch in MDR, until this point anyway, we have always been admitted. We have often been the first, or among the first few tables seated and then the numbers slowly increase.

It will be a real disappointment to have this taken away. We board the Ruby on January 21st, so we will have to wait and see for ourselves, and will let you all know what happens.

Update. I went to the dining room again. Different person at the foor, about 45 minutes later and she said that the dining room IS open for all passengers fir lunch.

I think that the first waiter- staff person was not informed and giving out misinformation.

Great to hear.

I don't know why this bothers me so much but it does. Your very first interaction with a crew member and you are confronted with either a lie or incompetence. Neither option sets a good first impression. Why start off on such a bad foot that could easily color a passenger's overall view of the cruise? Such a simple, inconsequential thing should not be the basis for a negative first impression.

I thought the same thing... it's the deflect.

Also, wonder if BVEs get to eat in the MDR.

I'd be a little more aggressive in finding out if the MDR was really closed.

I'd be very disappointed in Princess if they no longer offered embarkation lunch.

Bingo. That's exactly what happened.

Sorry that I jumped the gun and posted with out further investigation.

I had 2 waiters tell me the MDR was closed but when I went back, they were seating everyone.

Glad to hear it was indeed opened,

The standard deflect......

Enjoy your cruise

I don't know why this bothers me so much but it does. Your very first interaction with a crew member and you are confronted with either a lie or incompetence. Neither option sets a good first impression. Why start off on such a bad foot that could easily color a passenger's overall view of the cruise? Such a simple, inconsequential thing should not be the basis for a negative first impression.

I agree and just don't get it. Happens EVERY cruise. Every staff member along the way when asked which dining room is open for lunch directs us to the buffet.

I agree and just don't get it. Happens EVERY cruise. Every staff member along the way when asked which dining room is open for lunch directs us to the buffet.

I figured out that if you just show up and ask to be seated, they will do it. If you are there at the door and can see other people eating, it's a little more difficult for them to tell you to go away. If you ask ANYONE ELSE, you will be told you have to go to the buffet. The default is to tell you a lie first and then sheepishly accommodate you later. Happens every time.

I figured out that if you just show up and ask to be seated, they will do it. If you are there at the door and can see other people eating, it's a little more difficult for them to tell you to go away. If you ask ANYONE ELSE, you will be told you have to go to the buffet. The default is to tell you a lie first and then sheepishly accommodate you later. Happens every time.

Which is why we never ask anymore. What's the point? Just go to the dining room.

Which is why we never ask anymore. What's the point? Just go to the dining room.

Yes. And if you don't know which one it is, on the Grand class ships it will probably be the mid ship dining room on deck 6. If not that one, it would be deck 5. Easy to check both.

Yes. And if you don't know which one it is, on the Grand class ships it will probably be the mid ship dining room on deck 6. If not that one, it would be deck 5. Easy to check both.

Same deal on the Royal class.

I used to ask a long time ago if the restaurant was open. I was always told to go to the buffet because it was the only place to eat at for lunch.

BUT....presently... I just go directly with my luggage to the 6 deck and I find the hidden restaurant to go eat lunch.

THE front door area looks like it is closed. But I just walk inside the door and ask to join a group of diners.

If a crew worker should ever stop me from entering I will tell the worker to go find out what time it opens. I will wait for the response.

It could be that I arrived too early.

I always notice that the cruisers that are cruising BACK TO BACK are already in the restaurant eating their lunch.

If ever I found out that the restaurant is closed down forever then I do have a second choice of place to eat my lunch at the Inter. Coffee Cafe where they have great salads, sandwiches, soup, desserts, etc. I have a great time eating there too. I also NOTICE that the BACK TO BACK cruisers are just sitting around that area. They are not friendly to newbie me who has just arrived on the ship. I have learned to ignore them. LucyR.

Some pretty harsh comments on this thread but it is CC so it is to be expected.

I work at a ski resort where we have thousands of guests every day -- many more than are on a cruise ship. I am asked questions all day long. I do my best but am not perfect. A couple days ago I was really busy and when one guest interrupted me while I was answering another guest's question I gave the wrong answer as to whether something was open. Got my days mixed up.

Should I be fired? Should I accept the harsh comments made on this thread? JimmVWine -- I just made a mistake. I don't believe I intentionally lied or that I am incompetent or that I was trying to ruin a person's whole week of vacation -- but if someone else wants to believe those things -- go for it.

For those of you that have never made a mistake, give the rest of us a break.

So many people have to know in advance. It is constant question here.

At least we finally moved past "will I have a flat screen tv?".