Visa requirements for South America

kira5

I wonder if someone can advise of their experience regarding requiring a visa for South America. It would appear that journeys including Brazilian ports require a visa. (U.S. and Canadians) We're interested in the cruise that goes up the Amazon but the seeming requirement for a visa has put us off. It's a hassle and expense. I obtained one years ago for Slovakia and it was $100 then and required sending my passport by registered mail to an embassy back east. I received it back with the necessary stamp after six weeks.

On the other hand, two years ago on a Baltic cruise, the information provided was that a visa was not necessary as long as we were on an officially sanctioned tour. The cruise line (Cunard) intimated that that meant one of theirs but we booked a 2 day tour of St. Petersburg with a registered travel company and they e-mail the necessary piece of paper to us.

Another time, on a land journey to Tanzania, information indicated that the visa could be obtained in advance or, bearing the necessary photos and $50 U.S. funds it would be done upon disembarking. We chose the latter option and there was no problem.

So what is the experience of cruisers who have gone to Brazil in this regard?

Just went through the process for Brazilian visa... it was $120 CDN for a CDN visa or $240 US for a US visa. It took about two weeks for processing. Their website will show the info required. It took me about 10 hours of my time to get everything perfect ( upload the pic with proper dpi and formats ). You also have to pay by money order or certified cheque if mailing in passports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we flew to Rio to board a cruise, you didn't board the plane without the Brazilian visa. I don't know how many times our visas were checked. It started at our home airport, the airline lounge at our connecting airport, and then multiple times at the gate. My FIL took an Amazon cruise from Florida. He had his visa, but others didn't. They didn't board the ship. Going to Brazil? If a US citizen, you will HAVE to get that visa. You can't even now cross for the day from the Argentinan side of Iguassu Falls to the Brazilian side without the visa.

If your a Canadian citizen your requirements will differ from US citizens.... but we did very well using an agency. Maybe they have them in Canada too. I would recommend doing it that way.

I filled out their form on-line, sent them our passports along with 2 photos each from Costco and paid on-line by credit card. I used our priority mail level. We got our passports back in aobut 2 weeks.

It was relatively easy once I spoke with them by the phone and clarified a few small points. Yes it was expensive but ours are 10-yr visas, although I really don't desire to go back to Brazil I could now if it were on an itinerary we liked. I figured it was part of the cost of doing that trip, a rare circumnavigation of SA, LA to NY, loved the trip. m--

In the past we went to the Brazilian Consulate in the city where we lived. Saved the hassle of sending the passports away.

We are going back to South America in 10 days. Not to Brazil. We did obtain a travel document on line for Argentina. $78USD. At least it was a snap to obtain. No pictures. We do not need one for Chile.

Edited by iancal

In the past we went to the Brazilian Consulate in the city where we lived. Saved the hassle of sending the passports away.

We are going back to South America in 10 days. Not to Brazil. We did obtain a travel document on line for Argentina. $78USD. At least it was a snap to obtain. No pictures. We do not need one for Chile.

What is a "travel document" for Argentina?

And who needs one?

(It is my understanding that US citizens no longer have to pay reciprocity for Argentina, so are you outside the US?

HAL will not let you on the Amazon cruise without a Brazilian visa - which is a pain and expensive. If you can go to an embassy, it is so much easier. Have to say, have been up the Amazon twice and was impressed. Argentine has indeed waived the entry fee. embassyofargentina.us/en/consular-section/reciprocity-fee-for-us-citizens.html

Am not aware of any other visa requirements for So America but you need to check for yourself. You may need a yellow fever vaccination if you are stopping at Devil's Island - check the itinerary.

Edited by take us away

Agree with the others. There is no avoiding the Brazilian visa. South America is a fantastic cruise and itinerary and it was worth every penny and my time to get the Brazilian visas.

Agree with the others. There is no avoiding the Brazilian visa. South America is a fantastic cruise and itinerary and it was worth every penny and my time to get the Brazilian visas.

Just finished that cruise in December. Yes, get the visa. However, no one asked about the yellow fever shot and we saw zero bugs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We used the agency CIBT and it was well worth the service fee. Their web site is user friendly and provides specific directions based on your nationality. It took a couple hours to fill out on line info, then assemble and copy documents to be mailed.

Ignore most of the old threads on a Brazilian visa, rules change and are different for each nationality.

It wasn't worth our time and travel cost to go in person to a Brazilian consulate, Americans are assigned to a specific one based on the state of residence.

We paid about $600, total cost to CIBT for the visa and their service plus Fed ex charges, photo charges. The process took two weeks.

Argentina used to charge a landing fee of roughly $150. It was to be phased out for Americans but they are virtually bankrupt.

We travel on Canadian passports.

For Argentina we pay an entree fee. It is not a visa per sae. Really a tax. We pay on line and then print our the receipt.

We did the same for Australia however it was a pre entry on line security check. I think it was $20 or so. People entering Canada,Americans excepted, now have to do this as well. So, if you are not a citizen of one of the exempted countries, the airline will not allow you to board a plane destined to Canada without this pre clearance.

We usually delay getting visas as long as possible since many countries appear to be reducing fees or eliminating them. Last year we benefited from a substantial drop in the Vietnam fee just prior to entry.

Edited by iancal

I wonder why cruisers from Canada or the U.S. need a visa to enter Brazil. I'm sure others are put off travel there for that reason. If it is just a way to extract money from tourists why not just collect it on arrival. My understanding is that visas are put in place by developed countries to prevent people from developing countries coming and claiming refugee status. I believe that was the reason Canada had visa requirements for the Czech Republic and Mexico in previous years. Is there something I'm missing?

Sorry, it's too much hassle and there are too many other places to visit. Maybe Brazil will change its policy in the future.

In the case of the US, it's because Brazilians are required to have a visa to come here.

It's tit for tat.

Exactly. The US instituted the requirement for citizens of Brazil, so Brazil retaliated and did same.

There was some nasty business between Brazil and the USA during the W. Bush administration - visas and fingerprinting by the US, so Brazil instituted the same.

In Canada we have, and may still have, the same issue with Turkey. We pay a higher fee because of our entry requirements for citizens from that country. We have paid more than others for quite some time.

I think it can be a detriment to tourism. Not just the fee but also the process. We had an opportunity to take a short notice cruise that made several stops in India. We wanted to do it however the visa process (and we are fellow Commonwealth nations) was too time consuming (not a money issue) and not realistic given that we were three weeks away from sail date, travelling in a foreign country, and we were not close to an Indian High Commission, embassy, or consulate. India just changed the process to on line I believe so perhaps at some point in the future we will go.

Edited by iancal

Back in June we were looking to go on an Amazon cruise and part of the Brazilian visa request package for US citizens included sending your bank statements for the last 3 months along with the name and birth places of your parents. Has Brazil changed that requirement for US citizens since then?

Back in June we were looking to go on an Amazon cruise and part of the Brazilian visa request package for US citizens included sending your bank statements for the last 3 months along with the name and birth places of your parents. Has Brazil changed that requirement for US citizens since then?

We obtained visas three or four years ago, bank statements were not required. We are American. We had to submit copies of our itinerary, hotel, air information. We may have submitted parent names and info but no special documentation was required to prove it.

Rules change. I highly recommend the CIBT web site which sorts the rules according to nationality.

I didn't find the visa process all that difficult. Our total trip cost was high enough that the visa cost was not that significant as a percentage of the cost.

I wonder if someone can advise of their experience regarding requiring a visa for South America. It would appear that journeys including Brazilian ports require a visa. (U.S. and Canadians) We're interested in the cruise that goes up the Amazon but the seeming requirement for a visa has put us off. It's a hassle and expense. I obtained one years ago for Slovakia and it was $100 then and required sending my passport by registered mail to an embassy back east. I received it back with the necessary stamp after six weeks.

On the other hand, two years ago on a Baltic cruise, the information provided was that a visa was not necessary as long as we were on an officially sanctioned tour. The cruise line (Cunard) intimated that that meant one of theirs but we booked a 2 day tour of St. Petersburg with a registered travel company and they e-mail the necessary piece of paper to us.

Another time, on a land journey to Tanzania, information indicated that the visa could be obtained in advance or, bearing the necessary photos and $50 U.S. funds it would be done upon disembarking. We chose the latter option and there was no problem.

So what is the experience of cruisers who have gone to Brazil in this regard?

We can only speak as a US Citizen..although we think the situation is similar for Canadians. Put bluntly, Brazil is a pain in the behind when it comes to Visas. As a US Citizen we cannot go to Brazil on a cruise or otherwise without a valid Visa. And Brazil makes the process both expensive and a pain in the neck. Their process seems to go through routine changes so one must find out their current policy. But the last time we cruised to Rio, it was on a round trip cruise from Argentina. The Brazilian Deputy Counsel (in Washington, DC) told us he needed to see a copy of our airline tickets (or confirmed air reservation) from Buenos Aires to the US in order to comply with the Brazilian policy that you must show a return ticket. When I showed him our cruise information (which was round trip from Brazil) he said that "it was not acceptable" since he must see some kind of air confirmation (even thought the air flights were not to or from Brazil). We were eventually able to comply (after phone calls and faxes to our cruise line...who was handling air arrangements). But the process kept us Washington for 2 days and involved 2 separate visits to the Consul

The irony was they then gave us a 5 year Visa good for unlimited multi entries. But none of the future entries required any kind of air information or confirmation. It was only the initial Visa request that was difficult. The Consul admitted to me that the requirements were silly and made no sense...but said it was simply a retaliatory policy of his country because it was difficult for Brazilians to get a US Visa.

We did visit Brazil, several times, on that Visa. In the future, they can keep their visas and we will keep our money and avoid their country.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We feel the same way about China. We toured in the early 80's from Hong Kong and cannot remember needing a visa let alone paying a fee.

Not about to pay big bucks for a visa AND visit a place again that is so polluted. Hanoi was bad enough as far a pollution goes. DW's hairdresser said, on her return that she had smoker's hair....tinged yellow in parts.

We have lots of other places on ou respective bucket lists that do not have expensive or grossly burdensome application requirements.

We are flying up to Iguazu for a few days prior to boarding our cruise(in BA) but we have not opted for the hassle of getting a Brazilian visa to visit their side of the falls or stay on their side. We certainly do not have to pay a visa fees in Uruguay or Chile. As I recall we only had to pay $50 for our last Brazilian visa but that was on our old passports.

Edited by iancal

Iancal: Thanks for explaining. I had the idea from either your previous posts, or posts by another with a similar screen name, that you were in New England.

I just picked up my Brazilian Visa Friday from the LA Consulate. I did it directly- it's only a few hours drive so not that big of a deal. They did not require financial statements. (If they had, I would have just changed my plans. Our financials are none of their dang business.) I did provide a copy of my confirmed flights and the cruise and precruise itinerary (Am so glad I got that- I had to be very persistent ) and I wrote a brief letter of explanation (because the Brazilian side is not on the HAL pre-cruise). I did notice the clerk who reviewed my paperwork DID review the itinerary, flight info, and letter.

Blitzed: yes, you have a very good point about the irony/obsurdity of the visa being valid for so many years and for unhooked trips.

I just picked up my Brazilian Visa Friday from the LA Consulate. I did it directly- it's only a few hours drive so not that big of a deal. They did not require financial statements. (If they had, I would have just changed my plans. Our financials are none of their dang business.) I did provide a copy of my confirmed flights and the cruise and precruise itinerary (Am so glad I got that- I had to be very persistent ) and I wrote a brief letter of explanation (because the Brazilian side is not on the HAL pre-cruise). I did notice the clerk who reviewed my paperwork DID review the itinerary, flight info, and letter.

Thanks! I guess we'll have to call the POC instead of looking at their website as it currently states now that they require among other things your latest banking statement and it must show you have at least $200 for every day you'll be staying in Brazil. If 5 days, then the minimum would have to be $1,000.

As I recall, the requirements for the Brazil Visa vary by which consulate processes the visa request. Which consulate is used is determined by what one's US state of residence is. We live in NM and are required to process through Houston. Houston did not have a requirement for evidence of assets.

We used Travel Visa Pro and they worked out quite well, for about half the price of CIBT. There are a ton of agencies that do this. I believe I got a list from the State Department website. Then I went down the list and looked up each one's website and checked their prices... that was the most laborious part of the whole process.

This year I have to renew my passport so maybe my visa will no longer be of any use. If that is the case I'd suggest you consider getting a new passport so your new visa is good for longer. m--

As I recall, the requirements for the Brazil Visa vary by which consulate processes the visa request. Which consulate is used is determined by what one's US state of residence is. We live in NM and are required to process through Houston. Houston did not have a requirement for evidence of assets.

We used Travel Visa Pro and they worked out quite well, for about half the price of CIBT. There are a ton of agencies that do this. I believe I got a list from the State Department website. Then I went down the list and looked up each one's website and checked their prices... that was the most laborious part of the whole process.

This year I have to renew my passport so maybe my visa will no longer be of any use. If that is the case I'd suggest you consider getting a new passport so your new visa is good for longer. m--

Not sure about the U.S., but I think it would be the same (or hope), here in Canada if you have a Visa in your old passport and notify them, they will make sure it is not harmed and invalidated.

Thanks! I guess we'll have to call the POC instead of looking at their website as it currently states now that they require among other things your latest banking statement and it must show you have at least $200 for every day you'll be staying in Brazil. If 5 days, then the minimum would have to be $1,000.

There have been a few threads on the SA Board about Brazilian visas. Apparently the different Consulates can require different things from applicants. You have to use the Consulate in your jurisdiction. Not sure what the services do.