Just back - great cruise but not great shore excursions

kjbacon

We returned Friday from our first Viking cruise and for the most part, loved it. Ship is gorgeous, service is fantastic, and the food is crazy good! The down side is the shore excursions (both complimentary and charged), especially when Viking has such a good reputation for that. Many fellow passengers were repeat Viking customers and were quite disappointed in the excursions.

We had a couple good excursions and a couple not-so-good ones but we also had a couple just plain bad ones and one that was an absolute nightmare. To add to the problem, Viking dismissed our concerns when we went to them over the one nightmare excursion and they continued to insist all was fine (maybe there was something wrong with us?) when we knew for certain that they were receiving extremely critical feedback from others on that excursion with us. We didn't even want anything from them except an acknowledgment and maybe a simple apology that the first problem with that particular excursion was that it was so over booked.

At the end of the day, the short sighted approach they took (and held to the death) created such bad feelings that we are inclined to try a different line. During the first half or more of the trip, we felt certain that we had finally found the right line for us and would return over and over. We very nearly booked 2 more cruises on board.

Which cruise were you on? Which ports, and which tours in particular, were poor? We are on the Sea next month so would really appreciate any specific information.

Yes, please tell us about the bad/poor tours so we (and others) can avoid them.

Looks like the OP was on the Viking Star cruising out of San Juan.

Hope to hear more specifics about their excursions including the excellent ones and the " nightmare "one and the others in-between.

I am sorry you felt that your feedback was not received in a more affirmative manner by Viking rep on board.

I am sorry to hear that - I have been hearing that the excursions from Viking have been consistently getting much better and people were enjoying them. Knowing your itinerary & specifics would indeed be helpful.

I would encourage you to contact Viking directly. Not only do they need to have this feedback, but they will most likely want to make sure that you will be that repeat customer you had hoped to become.

We were on the West Indes Explorer itinerary out of San Juan, sailed December 27. We have considered contacting Viking and may just do that.

Our first excursion was a complimentary Walking Tour of Old San Juan and it was just fabulous. Our guide was full of good info and had a great personality plus the town is gorgeous and steeped in history.

Our next stop was Tortola and the excursion was a charged one to The Baths in Virgin Gorda. While not the worst, it was bad. First problem is that it is extremely demanding physically but that info isn't made clear. We are in our early 60's (making us the kids on our sailing) and in fairly good shape but we were really stretched to manage. After the boat ride and the bus ride, there is a very challenging hike down to the beach (back up to return) and then through the giant boulders and caves. Several people gave up or didn't try to participate and it was understandable. There was more than one person who slipped or couldn't crouch enough to fit and banged themself or cut themself. To top it off, our guide acted annoyed and apathetic, gave unclear directions and couldn't be bothered to speak up leaving many of us confused and just plain lost. Do note that the area is magnificent but getting to it or participating in the tour requires far more than is explained in advance. Another note is regarding the "ferry" ride over to the island. It is actually a 40 minute high speed boat ride over somewhat choppy water so if (like me) you don't enjoy thrill rides, you will not like the transport back and forth. I felt that part could also have been explained better.

Our next tour was a wonderful one in Guadeloupe, a charged one, a hike to Carbet Falls. We felt this one was properly explained in advance of sign up, clearly indicated the difficulty and recommended that you bring/wear proper hiking shoes. The bus ride to the rainforest was comfortable and scenery was enjoyable. Once on site, the hike through the rainforest was spectacularly beautiful and the freshness of the air was a rare and special experience on its own. We had a meeting time so you could stay with the group or pace yourself, spending extra time at small waterfalls or unusual plants if you wanted to. A note that the last bus stretch to and from the rainforest entrance was steep and windy but I found it manageable, still worth a mention to others.

More later!

Our next stop was Tortola and the excursion was a charged one to The Baths in Virgin Gorda. While not the worst, it was bad. First problem is that it is extremely demanding physically but that info isn't made clear. We are in our early 60's (making us the kids on our sailing) and in fairly good shape but we were really stretched to manage. After the boat ride and the bus ride, there is a very challenging hike down to the beach (back up to return) and then through the giant boulders and caves. Several people gave up or didn't try to participate and it was understandable. There was more than one person who slipped or couldn't crouch enough to fit and banged themself or cut themself. To top it off, our guide acted annoyed and apathetic, gave unclear directions and couldn't be bothered to speak up leaving many of us confused and just plain lost. Do note that the area is magnificent but getting to it or participating in the tour requires far more than is explained in advance. Another note is regarding the "ferry" ride over to the island. It is actually a 40 minute high speed boat ride over somewhat choppy water so if (like me) you don't enjoy thrill rides, you will not like the transport back and forth. I felt that part could also have been explained better.

Our next tour was a wonderful one in Guadeloupe, a charged one, a hike to Carbet Falls. We felt this one was properly explained in advance of sign up, clearly indicated the difficulty and recommended that you bring/wear proper hiking shoes. The bus ride to the rainforest was comfortable and scenery was enjoyable. Once on site, the hike through the rainforest was spectacularly beautiful and the freshness of the air was a rare and special experience on its own. We had a meeting time so you could stay with the group or pace yourself, spending extra time at small waterfalls or unusual plants if you wanted to. A note that the last bus stretch to and from the rainforest entrance was steep and windy but I found it manageable, still worth a mention to others.

More later!

Interesting - thanks for the comments. We will be doing this itinerary next March (can't wait!) and I did want to do the Virgin Gorda excursion. I've heard so much about it and I've been to Tortola before. I have read that this is somewhat physically demanding and requires water shoes. Can I ask what Viking charged for this? Wondering if it's something we should book our our own. Virgin Gorda is kind of a bucket list thing for me.

We did Marksburg Castle so I hope we're fit enough :D because either through Viking or on our own I want to do it.

I'd love to hear about the other excursions you did, so we can decide what we want to do.

There are no sea days on this itinerary, and I'd like to find one or two islands to just kind of check out, maybe spend a little time on a beach or head back to relax on the ship.

I do want to go to St John from St Thomas (been there before) and I do want to see the Pitons, but I'm not set on anything other than a visit to Maho Beach on St. Maarten to see the planes land. :eek:

We were on the West Indes Explorer itinerary out of San Juan, sailed December 27. We have considered contacting Viking and may just do that.

Our first excursion was a complimentary Walking Tour of Old San Juan and it was just fabulous. Our guide was full of good info and had a great personality plus the town is gorgeous and steeped in history.

More later!

According to Viking ocean description of the baths in virgin Gorda, "Note that the ferry transfer may be choppy. Some trails are rocky, uneven or ladder-assisted and cross small bridges. You will get wet, often up to your knees. Water shoes or closed-toe shoes with a good grip, as well as swimwear, a towel and sunscreen, are essential. Sun chairs are not available." I read these descriptions as I have had back and neck surgery. I know a lot of folks don't read the tour descriptions fully but it's important, no matter your age.

Dear kjbacon,

Welcome home! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience aboard Viking Star.

Your comments about the shore excursions have, however, captured our attention. While we appreciate the details you’ve provided here, we are interested in discussing them further. As others have suggested, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we can connect you with a Viking representative.

kjbacon, we are confident that your feedback will assist us in making improvements to our shore excursions (and their descriptions) moving forward and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you aboard again in the future.

Looking forward to your email!

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

We returned Friday from our first Viking cruise and for the most part, loved it. Ship is gorgeous, service is fantastic, and the food is crazy good! The down side is the shore excursions (both complimentary and charged), especially when Viking has such a good reputation for that. Many fellow passengers were repeat Viking customers and were quite disappointed in the excursions.

We had a couple good excursions and a couple not-so-good ones but we also had a couple just plain bad ones and one that was an absolute nightmare. To add to the problem, Viking dismissed our concerns when we went to them over the one nightmare excursion and they continued to insist all was fine (maybe there was something wrong with us?) when we knew for certain that they were receiving extremely critical feedback from others on that excursion with us. We didn't even want anything from them except an acknowledgment and maybe a simple apology that the first problem with that particular excursion was that it was so over booked.

At the end of the day, the short sighted approach they took (and held to the death) created such bad feelings that we are inclined to try a different line. During the first half or more of the trip, we felt certain that we had finally found the right line for us and would return over and over. We very nearly booked 2 more cruises on board.

More later!

Folks read the entire descriptions, as to carver falls, the description in Viking ocean has an additional note "Note that we recommend sturdy walking shoes for this excursion and good physical fitness. Much of the trail is laid with stone and steps that can be uneven and slippery".

Only a week away now until we too are on the Viking "Star" sailing from San Juan. We have been to the Baths at Virgin Gorda on another ship's tour and we won't be going again.:( It looks so beautiful in the pictures that I think many people want to go there despite the warnings and believe "they" won't have a problem. When we were there a few years ago, the line to go down into the rocks was so long we gave up and just enjoyed the beach. I think the line is a particular problem because some people go part way down, panic, and try to turn around.

Instead, in Tortola, my husband and I will be on the "Aristocat" for a relaxing catamaran sail to Norman Islands and the Indians for snorkeling. (Arranged privately through Aristocat.) Our friends are taking Viking's "Tortola Scenic Tour and Beach" tour. We'll be sure to report back on all the tours we take - a mixture of Viking included, paid, and several we've arranged on our own. So glad we signed up for the San Juan Walking Tour. Hope we get a good guide too.

According to Viking ocean description of the baths in virgin Gorda, "Note that the ferry transfer may be choppy. Some trails are rocky, uneven or ladder-assisted and cross small bridges. You will get wet, often up to your knees. Water shoes or closed-toe shoes with a good grip, as well as swimwear, a towel and sunscreen, are essential. Sun chairs are not available." I read these descriptions as I have had back and neck surgery. I know a lot of folks don't read the tour descriptions fully but it's important, no matter your age.

I'm sure you are trying to help but you've missed the point. I am a detail oriented person who read everything and that is the point .... this description is not sufficient warning.

I'm sure you are trying to help but you've missed the point. I am a detail oriented person who read everything and that is the point .... this description is not sufficient warning.

I am curious. How would you have worded this to provide sufficient warning? I would like to hear it from a passenger as we are looking to book this tour.

Edited by garycarla

OBX - I am looking forward to hearing your reviews of the excursions. We will be visiting three of the same ports plus San Juan on our Amazon trip late this year. We have both been to SJ but the other three are new for both of us!

Using miles (fingers crossed) I Imagine we might have extra time in SJ in at least one direction if not both. But specifically, interested in feedback from you on Barbados, Antigua, and St Lucia. We tend to book private, DIY and some ship excursions as I know you do..

That said, I am thinking we all will be interested in your review of all excursions! Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I am curious. How would you have worded this to provide sufficient warning? I would like to hear it from a passenger as we are looking to book this tour.

After the boat and bus ride, we were gathered at the top by the benches before the hike descending down to The Baths. A rep from the tour company made an announcement to this effect: if you have a heart condition, back or neck problems, or have had knee or hip surgery, we do not recommend that you continue with this tour. Then, they made the point that Devils Bay is called Devils Bay for a reason, that the undertow is deceivingly difficult to manage even for a good swimmer. This info should have been in the shore excursion description. The ferry transfer as they called it should have been referred to as a 40 minute high speed boat ride. I'm not sure how the wording would be but somehow it needs to be conveyed that you must crawl and crouch through, up, down, and around giant boulders while trying to grip on anything you can. Don't bring a towel or sunscreen because you can't carry anything and negotiate this course. Also it's important to note that it is absolutely mobbed with people going in both directions through spots where only one person can pass at a time resulting in people literally yelling at each other and just general chaos.

We are sailing on the 2/15 cruise and I'm curious what the nightmare excursion was?

I don't have time to go into great detail just now (too bad I have to work lol) but it was the Nature Kayak tour in St Kitts. Viking overbooked the tour and was completely unresponsive to our feedback. When we boarded the bus, there weren't enough proper seats for everyone and I had a very uncomfortable board like rumble seat without a seat belt.

Please know that my husband and I are accomplished kayakers and have had the good fortune to have kayaked all over from Maine to the Caribbean to Alaska. Never have we seen such an overbooked kayak tour. We counted 22 kayaks, doubles, so that was 44 people. Imagine the time it took to load 44 people, unload 44 people, suit up 44 people to snorkel, unsuit 44 people from snorkeling, reload 44 people in kayaks, and unload them one more time. Add in a terrible tour guide and an unexpected storm ... all we did was wait and do our best to avoid danger. It truly was a nightmare and I will give more info later.

I don't have time to go into great detail just now (too bad I have to work lol) but it was the Nature Kayak tour in St Kitts. Viking overbooked the tour and was completely unresponsive to our feedback. When we boarded the bus, there weren't enough proper seats for everyone and I had a very uncomfortable board like rumble seat without a seat belt.

Please know that my husband and I are accomplished kayakers and have had the good fortune to have kayaked all over from Maine to the Caribbean to Alaska. Never have we seen such an overbooked kayak tour. We counted 22 kayaks, doubles, so that was 44 people. Imagine the time it took to load 44 people, unload 44 people, suit up 44 people to snorkel, unsuit 44 people from snorkeling, reload 44 people in kayaks, and unload them one more time. Add in a terrible tour guide and an unexpected storm ... all we did was wait and do our best to avoid danger. It truly was a nightmare and I will give more info later.

Ok, how can you say overbooked, enough kayakes for all. Would you have preferred that they allow less on the trip and you and your husband maybe would not have been able to go. Yes, a terrible tour guide is not acceptable. When you go on tours with large numbers, you have to expect that it takes time for everyone to get themselves together. Many have chosen to go on private tours for this reason which is a great idea. Perhaps in the future you and your husband should look into this so that you can enjoy your trip more.

Ok, how can you say overbooked, enough kayakes for all. Would you have preferred that they allow less on the trip and you and your husband maybe would not have been able to go. Yes, a terrible tour guide is not acceptable. When you go on tours with large numbers, you have to expect that it takes time for everyone to get themselves together. Many have chosen to go on private tours for this reason which is a great idea. Perhaps in the future you and your husband should look into this so that you can enjoy your trip more.

The number of kayaks that a tour company owns has no bearing on whether the excursion is overbooked.

The determining factor is the ratio of guides to guests to control the loading and unloading times and being able to properly monitor and communicate with the group.

The largest tour we've been on before had about a dozen kayaks and twice as many guides as this tour. Usually excursions cap at 6 or 8 kayaks per guide kayak. Never have I seen anything like this with 22 double kayaks and one guide kayak.

The number of kayaks that a tour company owns has no bearing on whether the excursion is overbooked.

The determining factor is the ratio of guides to guests to control the loading and unloading times and being able to properly monitor and communicate with the group.

The largest tour we've been on before had about a dozen kayaks and twice as many guides as this tour. Usually excursions cap at 6 or 8 kayaks per guide kayak. Never have I seen anything like this with 22 double kayaks and one guide kayak.

That's a different situation, you're right that they should gave more guides per number of kayas. But this may not be Viking 's fault if the kayak company misrepresented their company. My point is that sometimes private tours are better when it cones to cruise ships.

We did Virgin Gorda on another cruise line. The walk down was difficult but there was an easy path back up. The down trip was memorable for the rope guide line down the boulder strewn path, rope ladders, etc.

But the hidden path back was easier, wouldn't have missed the trip down, just getting to the beach was part of the excitement.