Concierge - Platinum Benefit

BostonGal35

when you get the Concierge service as a Platinum Benefit, does it work the same was as when you are in a suite/haven? Meaning, can s/he get you into restaurants that are sold out, full, etc. or do they only have that "power" when you are in a suite/haven?

what else does the Concierge do? ive had one twice now, thru suite/haven and have rarely used them other than to move a dinner rezzie here and there (we book everything ahead, as soon as it opens up). Do they make contact with you or is a card simply left in your room stating the person's name?

Which ship? Reason I ask is in March we had the interactive TV and were able to move reservations around and make them. Gem a couple weeks ago I wasn't able to find that option so I had to call the concierge to make a couple reservations.

Also, we've been denied reservations on the Dawn a few years back when asking the concierge so they can't always (or won't try) get you into a restaurant.

Most people on here feel it is a PITA to contact the concierge unless you are in a suite.

Forums

I agree.:(

In the past, as a NCL Platinum member, we were only given the runaround.

We had an issue with dinner reservations...

The response from guest services,

(the first thing they will ask is for your cabin number)

" Sir, you have to understand, the concierge services are only for suites and above."

We were in a balcony.

OP, Thanks for posting the question.

Edited by $hip$hape

that's very frustrating then, that NCL claims this is a platinum benefit if it really isnt.

again, we book everything ahead anyway and have never understood what they are for, but it would be nice to know we could just go "freestyle".

for the person who asked, our next sails are Breakaway and Jewel. we def wont upgrade on Breakaway, we will be trying for a non-haven suite upsell on Jewel.

that's very frustrating then,

that NCL claims this is a platinum benefit if it really isn't.

again, we book everything ahead anyway and have never understood what they are for,

but it would be nice to know we could just go "freestyle".

for the person who asked, our next sails are Breakaway and Jewel.

we def wont upgrade on Breakaway, we will be trying for a non-haven suite upsell on Jewel.

I would classify the NCL Platinum concierge benefit as "Fake News". :D

Edited by $hip$hape

On my last NCL cruise (Gem, Jan 2016), I called the concierge as a Platinum benefit in order to get a dinner reservation time changed (not available through the regular channels that we tried). She accommodated us, no problem. YMMV

Unless in a suite contrary to popular belief unless you know the concierge you will not have access to them, which seems to be fine for some people since they stiff them on tips anyway.

Incorrect

As a platinum member, you have full access to the concierge and their staff.

On some ships, you'll get a concierge letter on embarkation and all of the priority disembarkation, suites parties, etc. this was the case on the Jewel to Alaska in August. Sometimes you just get a card in the case of the Spirit in April.

Now, it is not as easy as walking up to the concierge in the lounge or breakfast restaurants, but you are entitled to the service.

Incorrect

As a platinum member, you have full access to the concierge and their staff.

On some ships, you'll get a concierge letter on embarkation and all of the priority disembarkation, suites parties, etc. this was the case on the Jewel to Alaska in August. Sometimes you just get a card in the case of the Spirit in April.

We have been Platinum for years and we cruise about 4 times each year. We rarely receive a Concierge letter so I'm surprised to read this. The last few years we have cruised mainly on the larger ships so perhaps it's more usual on the smaller ones?

We have been Platinum for years and we cruise about 4 times each year. We rarely receive a Concierge letter so I'm surprised to read this. The last few years we have cruised mainly on the larger ships so perhaps it's more usual on the smaller ones?

So, I qualify that by saying on some ships. On two of the three nonsuites cruises last year, we got a letter or card from the concierge's. Our other cruises last year were in suites.

We also thought it was kind of strange that on the Jewel, we got invited to the captains cocktail party in the Havens and the glacier watching party in the Havens. On the day before disembarkation, we got an envelope with the gold luggage tags and invitation to meet the concierge for priority desembarkation. We were only booked in a balcony room.

So, I qualify that by saying on some ships. On two of the three nonsuites cruises last year, we got a letter or card from the concierge's. Our other cruises last year were in suites.

We also thought it was kind of strange that on the Jewel, we got invited to the captains cocktail party in the Havens and the glacier watching party in the Havens. On the day before disembarkation, we got an envelope with the gold luggage tags and invitation to meet the concierge for priority desembarkation. We were only booked in a balcony room.

I think the level of service varies a lot from ship to ship, based on the concierge him/herself.

We have found this to be true as Haven/Suites cruisers who also have NCL status. Even with direct access to the concierge, some are better than others. But we've never had a direct request that hasn't been promptly fulfilled.

I think the level of service varies a lot from ship to ship, based on the concierge him/herself.

We have found this to be true as Haven/Suites cruisers who also have NCL status. Even with direct access to the concierge, some are better than others. But we've never had a direct request that hasn't been promptly fulfilled.

It also could depend on how generous a tip the concierge has received in the past from Platinum members!

when you get the Concierge service as a Platinum Benefit, ......Do they make contact with you or is a card simply left in your room stating the person's name?

Neither one. Your Platinum packet does not contain concierge phone number and they definitely do not contact you. I know that concierge is listed as a platinum perk but in my experience it isn't really true. They're too busy with suites to do anything for Platinum.

All you have to do is look under latitude benefits it's there platinum has use of consierge

Yes, it is listed as a Platinum perk but not every concierge seems to realize that. Evidently some Platitude members have gotten the Concierge info but in four cruise as Platinum members we never have. And some concierges will only help suites even when you remind them that platinum members are also entitled to concierge service.

Not in our experience on smaller ships either. Star, Jewel, and twice on Jade with no letter with concierge info. Maybe cabin category makes a difference although as Platinum it shouldn't. We cruise mostly in inside cabins. That way we can afford longer cruises, more than 14 days.

When we went on the Breakaway, we were traveling with some friends who were Platinum (we were brand new to NCL at the time with no status, but were in the Haven). They were having trouble getting in touch with the concierge to arrange an anniversary dinner (I think at Le Bistro--I can't remember). In any event, they asked us to make the arrangements for them. When I went to make the reservations, the concierge was happy to help but assumed it was for my party, when I told him no, it was for my friends he said he was unable to help.

We talked about it a little bit and he said that on the "newer ships" with a separate Haven they have been told to prioritize Haven passengers and that the concierges are not inclined to jeopardize the satisfaction of Haven passengers by taking time to deal with issues outside of the Haven.

At first I thought this was a bit extreme (after all, you don't get to Platinum without being a very loyal NCL cruiser), but over the week I saw the demands that some of the people in the Haven put on the concierge and then it made sense to me. I still disagree, but I understand.

• 2 months later...
when you get the Concierge service as a Platinum Benefit, does it work the same was as when you are in a suite/haven?

Meaning, can s/he get you into restaurants that are sold out, full, etc. or do they only have that "power" when you are in a suite/haven?

What else does the Concierge do?

I've had one twice now, thru suite/haven and have rarely used them other than to move a dinner reservation here and there (we book everything ahead, as soon as it opens up).

Do they make contact with you or is a card simply left in your room stating the person's name?

Most people on here feel it is a PITA to contact the concierge unless you are in a suite unless you already have a personal relationship with them.

Maybe it's time to look at this thread again.

I've found the "concierge" benefit of NCL Platinum useless.

Any help?

We once asked for the Concierge phone number from the front desk as we hadn't gotten a Platinum Concierge letter.

We were told this service wasn't available to us on that ship. (Can't remember if this was the Getaway or Escape or Breakaway?)

Yes.

When WE called, were told, "Sir, the concierge is busy with request from the Haven".

We were told to direct our issues to the main desk.:cool: since we were havens-not .

First they ask for your cabin number.

When they found we were in a mere Platinum "Balcony". the mumbo-jumbo started.

Edited by $hip$hape