10:45am Return Flight From Seattle

PoppyandNana

In July we are on the Amsterdam for 14 days through Alaska. Our return flight is at 10:45am.

Is this enough time to disembark in the normal manner, i.e. luggage out by 11pm; picked up in warehouse etc. Or, should we do the shlep your own bags thing off as soon as humanly possible? Never cruised out of Seattle before.

Not sure how far the airport is, availability of taxis, security situation. Did see on United's website that Seattle is one of several airports where bags have to be checked 45 minutes before flight time.

My rule of thumb, is that I never book a return flight before 12 noon, regardless of the port. And SeaTac is not very close to the port. There is always a chance you can make a flight like that, but I would be a nervous wreck worrying about it. I would rather have to wait around the airport for a later flight than try to rush to catch an early flight

My recommendation is to change to a later flight.

Under the best of circumstances, the flight back to the east coast is one grueling day. Starting it with the strong possibility of missing the flight is not far from the best of circumstances.

If you follow the suggestions to be at the airport two hours before the flight (and in Seattle, that is a good suggestion; just getting through security can take a long time), and allow about an hour to get to the airport from the pier, you are already cutting it close. If the ship arrives on a weekend, the ride to the airport will be less than an hour, but not by a lot; during the work week, it will be a longer ride.

If at all possible, stay over one extra night, and take an early flight out the next morning. It makes a huge difference.

We have flown out of Seattle quite a few times and a couple of times the ship did not clear until 9:15 AM.

I would not risk that early of a flight.

We live in PA - do not have direct flights. So we always stay over a night -- get a hotel close to the airport and start our travels home the next day.

I think that is cutting it too close...the pier is nowhere near SeaTac. Don't know what day of the week you're talking but getting to the airport could take some time + TSA, etc. there can be time consuming.

Good advice everyone, thanks. We were able to switch to a 12:15pm flight. Don't think it will be necessary to take our own bags off.

You should check into Luggage Direct. HAL uses this service in Seattle. You put your luggage out by 11:00 pm, they pick it up and you don't see it again until you arrive at your home airport. HAL checks you in for your flight, gets your boarding passes and luggage tags the day before. We use it every time we sail from Seattle. We have a flight to Tucson that leaves at 11:30 a.m. We don't have to waste time looking for our luggage in the terminal, giving us extra time. Cost is $19.95 pp for up to 3 bags pp.

HAL checks you in for your flight, gets your boarding passes and luggage tags the day before. We use it every time we sail from Seattle. We have a flight to Tucson that leaves at 11:30 a.m.

I have a flight leaving at 11:21 a.m. and wonder if they will do a luggage direct. From what I understand there is a cut-off for using this service (like only for flights departing after XX p.m.). Do you know if I will be able to do this with that early a flight?

I have a flight leaving at 11:21 a.m. and wonder if they will do a luggage direct. From what I understand there is a cut-off for using this service (like only for flights departing after XX p.m.). Do you know if I will be able to do this with that early a flight?

Bummer. I didn't know HAL offered this service. We have sailed only on X for the past few years. They used to have this program but eliminated it. Had i known HAL still had it I would have kept the earlier flight.

I would expect the Luggage Direct cutoff to be either 11:30 or 12noon. Its 11:30 at FLL, and the airport is much closer there.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I should think so. Our flight is at 11:30 a.m.

I should think so. Our flight is at 11:30 a.m.

Quote:

Originally Posted by retafcruiser View Post

Based on all the feedback we changed our flight from 10:43 to 12:50. Turns out we get in at about the same time. Somome said their ship didn't clear until 9:15. Most of our flights are from Ft.Lauderdale which is only 10 minutes from the pier.

Re the luggage valet service I really don't know what is truth and what is fiction. People "in the know" say it's back on other insiders say it's still off.

Did see a website regarding Luggage Direct. A private concern that costs $250 for two bags and takes 5 days to get your bags. $488 if you want them in two days.

Sure would like to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Here is the link to HAL luggage direct

https://www.maketraveleasier.com/holland/services

Quote:

Originally Posted by retafcruiser View Post

Based on all the feedback we changed our flight from 10:43 to 12:50. Turns out we get in at about the same time. Somome said their ship didn't clear until 9:15. Most of our flights are from Ft.Lauderdale which is only 10 minutes from the pier.

Re the luggage valet service I really don't know what is truth and what is fiction. People "in the know" say it's back on other insiders say it's still off.

Did see a website regarding Luggage Direct. A private concern that costs $250 for two bags and takes 5 days to get your bags. $488 if you want them in two days.

Sure would like to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Follow the information given for make travel easier. It will tell you if your flight qualifies and you can preregistration now. Your are not charged till onboard. The price has increadpsed to $25.00

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Follow the information given for make travel easier. It will tell you if your flight qualifies and you can preregistration now. Your are not charged till onboard. The price has increadpsed to $25.00

Thanks - looks like it will work. I was also considering luggage forwarding, but that requires finding bags on the pier, going through customs with them, and then finding the shipping company outside somewhere. Sounds way too time consuming.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Appreciate the information but dont know what you are talking about. Follow what information? Who are "It".

Appreciate the information but dont know what you are talking about. Follow what information? Who are "It".

Click on the link I provided to luggage direct on the above post number 13. This will let a person put the date, ship, etc and let you know if the Luggage Direct service is available for your departure flight.

Wise move booking a later flight.. the terminal is 35-45 minutes away from the ship.. without traffic. Summer weekends are packed in the airport. TSA lines, baggage check lines are long due to 6-8 ships with 2000 people each boat every weekend. Seattle airport has nice restaurants and shops. Not a bad place to be early. Leave yourself extra time.. my last flight in the fall at not a busy tourist time.. 40 minutes in the TSA line..summer is busy!! from a Seattle lady..