SEATAC - Best way to cruise port and back to airport

Cruiz'nBaers

We have not cruised from Seattle before so we need some help. Are shuttles available from hotels to the cruise terminal? What is the best way to get back to the airport? Taxi, shuttle, HAL transfers? Thanks.

Edited by Cruiz'nBaers

Best way? In the back of a limo sipping champagne, IMHO. How do you define "best"?

If you look on the West Coast Departures board, you will see many discussions on transport in Seattle. There is light rail. Taxis and Town cars get a lot of mention. Lots of options if you do some research. Cruise line transfers are usually not the cheapest, nor the most efficient.

We have not cruised from Seattle before so we need some help. Are shuttles available from hotels to the cruise terminal? What is the best way to get back to the airport? Taxi' date=' shuttle, HAL transfers? Thanks.[/quote']

There is lots of information on the North American Homeports/West Coast Departures section here that will give you lots of good information, but I have to add my personal favorite for Seattle....

I highly recommend AJ Towncar Services while in Seattle. AJ is so nice, I know, because we have used him a few times for transportation needs while in Seattle. His number is (206) 697-5577. He is happy to give you a quote over the phone but I know he has a towncar that seats 4 comfortably that I think is $55 from the airport to Pier 91 or $45 to Pier 66 downtown...also hotels downtown. He has a SUV that is $65 from airport to Pier 91. I also think he has a 10 passenger van that is $12 per person (minimum 7 people). We have had him pick us up from Pioneer Square and also downtown Seattle and was ALWAYS on time, friendly, and great competitive prices. Here is his website that I just looked up. http://www.seatactowncar.com You will be happy you gave him your business Hope this helps you and others looking for transportation reviews. Tell him his friend from San Diego....Charlene....says helllooooo

It is a long way from the airport to the pier. And often the traffic is terrible.

I did this a couple of years ago, and used a limo.

The cost of the limo is about the same as a taxi. We went with a limo because there were 4 of us and we had a lot of luggage, I didn't think we would fit into a taxi.

But if there are just two of you I would go with a taxi, because it is a lot of extra trouble to meet up with your limo, especially at the pier. With a taxi, you just go out from the luggage claim and hop in. No need to find your particular limo among hundreds.

There are no shuttles that go that route.

There are no shuttles that go that route.

That's incorrect. Shuttle Express has service from SEA to Smith Cove, also from SEA to hotel to Smith Cove (and round-trip service too). Their price is quite reasonable IMO. Here's a link:

https://shuttleexpress.com/seattle/cruise-transfers/

BTW, I live in the Seattle metro area and I've used Shuttle Express many times.

Edited by Av8rix

That's incorrect. Shuttle Express has service from SEA to Smith Cove, also from SEA to hotel to Smith Cove (and round-trip service too). Their price is quite reasonable IMO. Here's a link:

https://shuttleexpress.com/seattle/cruise-transfers/

BTW, I live in the Seattle metro area and I've used Shuttle Express many times.

I was thinking of regular scheduled shuttles. Shuttle Express will take you anywhere. But I really don't like trying to get together with a hired limo or shuttle. Much easier to just take the nearest cab.

For us, the situation in Seattle is quite simple. If we are traveling light we can use the rail into town. Otherwise it is simply Uber or a taxi...which will generally cost $40-$50. Assuming you are a couple, that works out to no more than $25 per person which is quite reasonable when you consider the other options. In fact, some of the shared shuttle services cost even more...and involving waiting or having to stop at several hotels. There are some shared shuttle services that advertise SEATAC to most hotels for as little as $12 per person. But when we once tried that type of shuttle we sat at the airport for nearly 30 min (while waiting for more passengers) and then stopped at 2 other hotels before reaching our hotel. The ride actually took us nearly an hour longer then just using Uber or a taxi....and, to us, was not worth saving a few dollars. On the other hand, if flying into SEATAC by myself, those shuttles make more sense from a financial perspective.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

When I sail out of Seattle I fly in the day before, and stay at the airport Hilton. They arrange a limo for me, which costs about the same as a cab.

Upon return I generally grab a cab at the pier, even though it costs me more than the HAL transfer. I find that a taxi can drop me right in front of the terminal, while the HAL transfer leaves people off between terminals, and there's a longish walk to where I need to go.

There is light rail.

Yes, but....

1. If you have more than just carry-on luggage there is no very good place to put luggage other than another seat. Heaven help those who put it in the designated bike rack areas.

2. Not convenient to either pier (especially 91). 66 is closer but a fairly steep hill to get to nearest station and HAL uses 91 anyway. So a short cab ride might be required regardless.

3. At the airport end there is a seemingly endless walk between the terminal and the station which is on the far side of the parking ramp - and beyond. Someday maybe they will wise up and install a moving beltway.

On the other hand there are signs at the baggage carousels advertising $3.25 to the airport - can't beat that price. I do short business trips with a carry-on regularly via Link from downtown or Husky Stadium. It's a great option for that but probably not so much for cruise visitors. I would go with taxi or limo for that. Better yet, we'll park at our son's in Seattle and get a lift from him. :D

From the airport we have used the HAL transfers. Similar in pricing, but they take your luggage right at the baggage pick up and you don't have to think about it until you get it onboard! They send you out to the bus pick up area which is closer than the shuttle, taxi, etc pick up. Very easy and convenient. For transport back to the airport we used Seattle Express shuttle...$15/pp(?) and they were right outside the terminal.

Thanks for the information, so far. I think we will probably grab a cab on our way to the airport after disembarkation. We have a 12:25 PM flight home, and, since it is only DH and myself, it sounds like the simplest way go. We fly into Seattle the day before the cruise, so, depending on which hotel we book, still not sure of the best way to get to the cruise terminal for embarkation day. We have plenty of time to plan, the cruise is May 15. I do like the idea of sipping champagne in the back of a limo.

There are several hotels near the airport that have free shuttles. So then you would just need to take a cab the next morning to the pier. Cab fare from a hotel might be a little less than from the airport - most cabs have a airport surcharge.

When spending the night at an Airport hotel, I have used Seattle express.

They will pick you up at one of the hotels at the airport that use their services and return you to the airport or airport hotel.

Last year it was $15.00 each way.

I have used them twice and their service is great!

You would need to check their website to see which hotels they serve.

They aren't limos, they are town cars. There is an obvious difference.

The Lincoln Towncar (no longer in production), did have a factory limo version. It came with about 6" extra wheelbase. That gave it an extra 6" of legroom in the rear seat, which already had plenty.

I think you can call any Lincoln Towncar, that is hired along with a driver, a limo.

Any car that is designed to give more room in the back seat than the front, technically can be called a limo. I think what you are saying is that it is not a "stretch" limo. A stretch limo, is a car that has been cut in half and extra room installed, and then welded back together. The extra space could add a few inches, but it is usually several feet.

Most stretch limos are Lincoln Towncars, but they can be based on any kind of rear wheel drive car. I have even seen a Hummer Stretch Limo. With the discontinuation of the Lincoln Towncar, we will see more variety of stretch limos in the future.

When spending the night at an Airport hotel, I have used Seattle express.

They will pick you up at one of the hotels at the airport that use their services and return you to the airport or airport hotel.

Last year it was $15.00 each way.

I have used them twice and their service is great!

You would need to check their website to see which hotels they serve.

In order to make connections we are having to fly in on the day before the cruise and stay over the night after the cruise. Are you suggesting we stay at one of the hotels at the airport that uses their services? If so do we arrange for them to pick us up at the cruise terminal on return and transport us back to the hotel?

In order to make connections we are having to fly in on the day before the cruise and stay over the night after the cruise. Are you suggesting we stay at one of the hotels at the airport that uses their services? If so do we arrange for them to pick us up at the cruise terminal on return and transport us back to the hotel?

When using a shuttle service like this, they can pick you up at your hotel (if it is one of the ones they service) and return you to your hotel at the end of the cruise. You can use the hotels free shuttle (make sure there is one), to get back and forth between the hotel and airport.

The price is per person.

Although it is easy to find shuttles like this at your hotel, it is not so easy to find them at the pier. This is why I always recommend taxis to go back and forth to the pier. The price isn't that much more than the shuttle when you figure it per person.

You can check the website seattleexpress dot com.

1. Click on the tab that says hotels and this will show, which hotels are served by Seattle Express.

2. If you decide to stay at an airport hotel you can use this service. If you want a hotel closer to the pier you would need to use a car service, taxi or uber.

3. If you decide on an airport hotel, you click on the tab or call the phone number on the website or click the reservations tab. I usually get my confirmation within 24 hours.

Then confirmation states what time you will be picked up at the airport hotel.

4. The shuttle is outside the cruise terminal when you return from the cruise You need a reservation even if you only go one way.

5. I have been on the shuttle when some people only made a reservation one way. If they stayed at a hotel close to the pier pre cruise and needed a ride to the airport or airport hotel post cruise, they would make a reservation post cruise with Seattle express.

6. No payment is required until you use the service.