Help please: Alaska, Deciding btw HAL and Princess

beachluvr17

Hi Everyone!

I'm hoping all your experience and expertise can help me decide between the Ruby Princess round trip inside passage from Seattle and Nieuw Amsterdam round trip from Vancouver. We are first time cruisers, as we typically go to all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean. We are trying to plan a "big trip" without breaking the budget with tons of fees and add ons. I think we like the HAL itinerary better, but for a mid-ship balcony room, Princess is about 200-300 cheaper. ( which to me is another excursion!) I'm also concerned about the Princess full day at sea back to Seattle, outside of the inside passage. Mostly likely this will be our only trip to Alaska, as we like to try see new places. I'm just so confused! What do you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would go for the Nieuw Amsterdam itinerary. Your days leaving and returning to Vancouver will be more scenic, and possibly smoother sailing than the itinerary outside Vancouver Island on ruby. EM

Years ago,we did the one way inside passage with Glacier Bay from Anchorage to Vancouver with Princess. It was a bit rocky going into Vancouver. I would not choose a sailing based on that because the ocean could be rough going into Vancouver or Seattle. You should bring along Bonine in case of seasickness. Take it at the first sign of discomfort.

Would you rather visit Vancouver or Seattle? If you think you are only doing this trip once then pick your dream trip. We are going back this summer with our grown children. This time we are going from Seattle round trip on the Emerald Princess with scenic cruising through Tracy Arm.

Alaska is amazing,and you will love whichever cruise you decide on. If you choose HAL, make sure there is a naturalist on board to explain everything you are seeing. That enhanced the whole experience for us . Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruise lines call the trip out of Seattle "inside passage" but to me the REAL inside passage is between Vancouver Island and (mainland) British Columbia.

So leave from Vancouver if you can. May I suggest a midweek departure on the HAL Volendam? Flights will probably be less, and if you get an OceanView cabin on the Lower Promenade Deck, you could be steps from the biggest balcony on the ship! Nieuw Amsterdam does not have cabins on the promenade/boardwalk.

For excursions I recommend a whale-watch boat trip (or boat+a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center and walk the trails) at Juneau, and the train up/bus down railroad at Skagway. Ketchikan can be a bit of a let down after glaciers, whales, and trains -- but my (adult) family enjoyed the "trolley" tour to the Totem Park which dropped us on Creek Street for shopping and an easy walk down to Alaskan Fish House for Fish-n-Chips.

ETA: on HAL ships, if not all major cruise lines, meclizine for seasick is available free at the Front Desk. It is the active ingredient in regular Dramamine and I believe Bonine as well, just slightly different concentrations. I've read on CC that "natural"/non-drowsy Dramamine is pill-form ginger. You can get ginger candy or capsules before you go, as well, if you think you won't be MAJORLY seasick.

Edited by crystalspin

Keeping our HAL Statendam Alaska sailing in mind, it is an easy choice. We loved our roundtrip cruise from cosmopolitan Vancouver. The traditional cruise that HAL offered- a beautiful ship, fresh flowers everywhere, a wonderful staff and fellow passengers, and cuisine- it couldn't have been better. crystalspin, our Oceanview stateroom was on the Lower Promenade Deck that you mentioned. It was so nice to be just steps to the deck, you're right! And I love the teak deck that HAL offers.

Our Inside Passage itinerary, including Sitka and Glacier Bay, was outstanding. As mentioned, the naturalists on board enhanced our cruise. And we enjoyed our servings of traditional Dutch pea soup and hot chocolate out on deck during our day in Glacier Bay.

Excursions were awesome- a rafting trip on the Mendenhall River, an amazing helicopter ride from Juneau, a jet-boat tour from Sitka to see bald eagles in the trees, sea lions, black-tail deer. We did a self walking tour in Ketchikan (you can pick up a map just about anywhere), including the Creek Street boardwalk, and rode the funicular (tram) up to see totem poles.

Our post hotel stay at the Pan Pacific Vancouver was perfect. Wandering through beautiful Stanley Park, seeing totem poles, and strolling through Gastown that evening, seeing the steam clock, browsing in a few shops, and a great Italian dinner that evening. Wonderful memories of a great trip.

Whichever ship you choose, you are sure to enjoy stunning Alaska!

Edited by jmf123

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises sailing out of Seattle and Vancouver and on both Princess and HAL.

Both cruise lines have been in the Alaskan business the longest. So you can't go wrong on either cruise line.

Sailing in and out of Seattle can be rocky.

We have sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam several times and think she is a lovely ship.

I've done Alaska 5 times - 3 of those on HAL and 1 on Princess - and I'd pick the Vancouver. You loose a lot of great scenery with the sailing on the western side of Vancouver Island on the Seattle cruises. The Vancouver sailing is worth a few hundred dollars more!

In 2014 we took the two week land/sea tour of Alaska, Fairbanks to Vancouver, withe HAL. The entire trip was perfect and The Oosterdam was a beautiful, well run ship and we loved the inside passage route. There is no indication that you're considering this particular land/sea trip but if you do, the one day aboard The HAL McKinley Express train is phenomenal! I would very highly recommend inside passage and Holland America.