Silhouette Captain

EMBFlyer

Having been on more then 100 cruises we have learned to care less about the Captain. What really matters is the Hotel Manager and Executive Chef! But since that info is seldom available when we book. it is not anything that impacts our booking decisions.

That being said, if Captain "Demitrius" Kafetzis happens to be on your Silhouette cruise you will be in for a treat if you go to one of his talks. He is certainly the most amusing Captain at sea (we told him he could host the Tonight Show) and often gets standing room only audiences when he does his Bridge or Navigation talk. Would we book a cruise because he is on the ship? No. But if we met him again we would chat with him about his Harley motorcycles and whether he had one aboard.

Hank

Having been on more then 100 cruises we have learned to care less about the Captain. What really matters is the Hotel Manager and Executive Chef! But since that info is seldom available when we book. it is not anything that impacts our booking decisions.

That being said, if Captain "Demitrius" Kafetzis happens to be on your Silhouette cruise you will be in for a treat if you go to one of his talks. He is certainly the most amusing Captain at sea (we told him he could host the Tonight Show) and often gets standing room only audiences when he does his Bridge or Navigation talk. Would we book a cruise because he is on the ship? No. But if we met him again we would chat with him about his Harley motorcycles and whether he had one aboard.

Hank

The Hotel Director and Executive Chef matter? In many cruises I have never noticed the presence of the Hotel Director, and the food and menues are standardized by the Miami office. Cruise Director and Captain (if they want to be) have always been the most recognized public faces on any cruise we have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It should be Captain Kafetzis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Demetros Kafetzis will be boarding next Sunday and will be on Silhouette for 3 months. Peppas is the current Captain.

Thank you very much for the actual answer.

For everyone else, thank you for your support and your feedback has been noted.

We have sailed on the Silhouette twice, both times with Captain Demetros Kafetzis. Yes, he is a funny guy and that is a good thing. He came to our CC Conections Party and took over the DJ booth and was very entertaining. He is also very visible during the cruise and always has a strong, positive attitude about his ship, his passengers and his crew. This seems to filter down to the crew and they were great on both trips. It is reasons like these that people care about who the captain is on a given trip. Would I chose not to go if he was not in charge? no, but it is nice to know that he is going to be there when I am.

For all of you who took the time to answer my question, thank you.

For all of you I offended by asking the question, I apologize. I'm not going to cancel the cruise because of who is in command. I was just curious. I guess curiosity is not allowed on this site.

Edited by EMBFlyer

• 1 month later...

Many of us who cruise regularly and are dedicated patrons of a single line have developed friendships with specific members of the staff & crew. While we do not snapchat with them on an hourly basis throughout yhe year, it is oftentimes nice to see them again on future cruises to "catch-up" with them. This ranges from the captain down to a waiter. That is why we are curious whos on board. While i have sailed with many of the same captains over & over, i have yet to run into the same butler or waitstaff in Luminae.

Many of us who cruise regularly and are dedicated patrons of a single line have developed friendships with specific members of the staff & crew. While we do not snapchat with them on an hourly basis throughout yhe year, it is oftentimes nice to see them again on future cruises to "catch-up" with them. This ranges from the captain down to a waiter. That is why we are curious whos on board. While i have sailed with many of the same captains over & over, i have yet to run into the same butler or waitstaff in Luminae.

Peppas was the Captain on our Thanksgiving Silhouette cruise (and also was for the previous year's Reflection cruise).

Re Luminae- we had a number of carryover in staff from the Reflection to the Silhouette - including the excellent Adem.

• 5 weeks later...

Sad to read that Captain Kafetzis will only be on the Silhouette till about April 22nd. I was looking forward to seeing him again on our transatlantic cruise beginning April 23rd. We have sailed with Captain Peppas who is very nice but not as visible as Captain Kafetzis and certainly not as amusing.

Sad to read that Captain Kafetzis will only be on the Silhouette till about April 22nd. I was looking forward to seeing him again on our transatlantic cruise beginning April 23rd. We have sailed with Captain Peppas who is very nice but not as visible as Captain Kafetzis and certainly not as amusing.

Kafetzis will be Captain for the April 23rd Transatlantic. Peppas is joining Silhouette in Amsterdam. At least that's what he told me.

We are elite plus, have never gotten to know any of the officers, and from our observations it is (or at least can be) VERY important who the captain is based on the overall feel of the crew we encounter on the ship.

It is very apparent after some discussions with crew how much the captain can influence staff morale.

Did Captain Kafetzis say when he comes back in July/August?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Didn't ask him. He will be second Captain on Edge so his schedule might be in flux. You can usually count 12 weeks from a Captain takes over to figure rotation.

Kafetzis will be Captain for the April 23rd Transatlantic. Peppas is joining Silhouette in Amsterdam. At least that's what he told me.

Thanks so much for that information. That DOES make me happy! Captain Kafetzis contributes a lot of cheer to the journey.

I've often wondered why this is important to some cruisers. As nice as s/he may be, this is their job and they all will to their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too have wondered about this. Would someone book or not book a cruise based on Captain? I have sailed twice with Captain Johnny on Royal Caribbean, but that was luck of the draw vs planned. He was very personable in our brief encounters so maybe particular cruisers make a specific efforts to interact with Captain.

So...........wonder who will be our Captain for January 2017 Silhouette sailing?!