Security and a gun shaped house key story.

gwsster

Being proudly from Canada, the only time I have seen a real gun is on a police officer. Perhaps I am just very naive, but if I saw that tiny key shaped like a gun, I might not know it wasn't real.

Canada ranks 12th or 13th in the world in number of guns per capita with there being 31 guns for every 100 people. Not seeing where being a Canadian would make it unusual for someone to have seen a gun. :)

Canada ranks 12th or 13th in the world in number of guns per capita with there being 31 guns for every 100 people. Not seeing where being a Canadian would make it unusual for someone to have seen a gun. :)

Perhaps not...I just haven't. I have a family member who hunts, but I have never seen his gun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rules are rules..... replica means just that..... from a distance it could look like the mini. I think they did the right thing. It is just the same as a replica belt buckle or key chain..... I say it doesn't go. The rules are for everyone..... safety first ....

Being proudly from Canada, the only time I have seen a real gun is on a police officer. Perhaps I am just very naive, but if I saw that tiny key shaped like a gun, I might not know it wasn't real. I would have been alarmed. The Carnival site states no replica guns allowed. That would, in my mind, include a key that is shaped like a gun. I am not ashamed for my thoughts.

I dont blame you remember the weapons James Bond carries

Edited by Micah's Grandad

Rules are rules..... replica means just that..... from a distance it could look like the mini. I think they did the right thing. It is just the same as a replica belt buckle or key chain..... I say it doesn't go. The rules are for everyone..... safety first ....

Carnival has stated that this wasn't the intent of the rule, that they don't view it as a "replica". After all this thing looks like a key, to be a replica it would have to replicate something accurately enough that a sensible person could mistake it for the actual item.

Sharing the same general shape shouldn't be enough, if so then hair dryers shouldn't be allowed. What about a picture of a gun on the cover of a book? Where do you stop the silliness?

This is very clearly a house key. There is no threat from it any more than any other key. The most someone can do with it as a weapon is administer a severe poking.

The whole thing is silly, but certainly a steak knife is more alarming than a door key.

Yes, a steak knife is more alarming than a door key. A door key shaped like a gun is not the same thing. It is designed to look like a gun...therefore should not be allowed.

Yes, a steak knife is more alarming than a door key. A door key shaped like a gun is not the same thing. It is designed to look like a gun...therefore should not be allowed.

except that it is allowed. Here is the rest from the article with the statement from Carnival.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/01/23/gun-shaped-key-almost-ruins-couples-cruise-trip.html

"However, common sense would clearly indicate that a house key in the shape of a firearm is not the sort of thing we’re referring to with the term ‘replica,’” De La Cruz said. "A member of our home office security leadership team reached out to the company we contract with for security services.

"This was apparently a new employee and we have initiated corrective coaching.”

The cruise line says it will be working with its security team to ensure the policy is understood to avoid similar issues in the future.

How do you feel about knives in the dining room?

I feel fine about Knives in the dining room? Why do you ask, when this is about a post concerning guns, and items that look like guns. My point was that guns are and could be small items, and guns concern people. Anyone that travels should know, not to carry anything that looks like a gun. They also should know not to bring liquids, or other prohibited items. These rules have been around for a long time, and those that travel should be aware of them.

The poster, complained that it was silly, but yet, the size is irrelevant, because it has been noted that working guns can be that size, and the rules, as posted on the cruise ship, as well as airlines state no guns, or replicas.

This would alarm you? Seriously?

In today's culture law enforcement officers (and those wanna be's) have killed people (including a 12 yr old I recall with a "play" gun and someone shot with a bag of skittles mistaken for a gun in pocket???) for carrying what they "thought" was a real gun. It is a shoot first ask questions later society now.

So in the interest of making "no mistakes" then security needs to make sure that something that even resembles a real gun needs to be called out. You never know the motives of the crazies in this world and the job of security is to protect all of us.

They did the right thing, you may think this is "cool" but they cant play favorites where security is concerned. I am sure you want what is best for the protection of the people around you right? Well, the next person carrying something similar could harm someone if it isn't just a key.

Can't be too careful now a days, isn't that why so many carry concealed, just in case that key is not just a key? ;)

It's interesting that it was a law enforcement officer who attempted to board with the scary house key. I don't think he would agree with your assertion that cops shoot first, ask questions later.

I believe another poster pointed out that Carnival walked back on this, so it seems Carnival agrees it was a little overboard also.

The poster, complained that it was silly, but yet, the size is irrelevant, because it has been noted that working guns can be that size, and the rules, as posted on the cruise ship, as well as airlines state no guns, or replicas.

You are simply, wrong.

Here is Carnivals statement on the gun key:

"However, common sense would clearly indicate that a house key in the shape of a firearm is not the sort of thing we’re referring to with the term ‘replica,’” Carnival's vice president of corporate communications Jennifer De La Cruz said. "A member of our home office security leadership team reached out to the company we contract with for security services.

If we are talking rules and Carnivals enforcement... Carnival has made it clear that the gun shaped key was fine, not a replica, and it was a new employee who needed coaching.

Edited by BNBR

Being proudly from Canada, the only time I have seen a real gun is on a police officer. Perhaps I am just very naive, but if I saw that tiny key shaped like a gun, I might not know it wasn't real. I would have been alarmed. The Carnival site states no replica guns allowed. That would, in my mind, include a key that is shaped like a gun. I am not ashamed for my thoughts.

No argument there.

"The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason...". Seems to me that Mr. Echevarria has a "valid lawful reason" to possess his own house key no matter what it is shaped like.

You are simply, wrong.

Here is Carnivals statement on the gun key:

"However, common sense would clearly indicate that a house key in the shape of a firearm is not the sort of thing we’re referring to with the term ‘replica,’” Carnival's vice president of corporate communications Jennifer De La Cruz said. "A member of our home office security leadership team reached out to the company we contract with for security services.

If we are talking rules and Carnivals enforcement... Carnival has made it clear that the gun shaped key was fine, not a replica, and it was a new employee who needed coaching.

However, I'm not wrong. I said while traveling, you can be stopped by any number of checkpoints that will prohibit it, regardless if it is right or wrong. My statement is that in this day of age, you should be aware that what you have may stop you with the TSA, Homeland security, international ports, airports, land crossing, or any other place.

You don't carry guns, anything that looks like a gun, or anything that looks like a weapon of any kind. That includes key chains. I had a relative that lost a $5.00 key chain with TSA because it was a gun hanging on a key chain. We laugh about it, but this is the society we live in, and the traveling public needs to follow the absurd rules about it.

The poster is from Toronto, which is an area on the north western shore of Lake Ontario. They see themselves as the epicenter of the world, or at least of Canada, so please forgive them. :D:cool:

The poster is from Toronto, which is an area on the north western shore of Lake Ontario. They see themselves as the epicenter of the world, or at least of Canada, so please forgive them. :D:cool:

And WE ALL know that Thorold is the epicentre of the world.;)

I love it when corporate communications puts their spin on things. So what they are really saying is that Carnival took the lowest bid for the security services contract so the pay rate that the security company can pay it's front line security personel is about the same as a stock boy at the local Piggly Wiggly.

I don't know about what others expect from the stock boy but all I expect is that he puts the cartons of milk in the milk section. I don't expect him to know why the milk section is where it is or how it would be better for customers if the milk was located near the cash registers and not in the back corner of the store.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Edited by SOMEBEECH

However, I'm not wrong. I said while traveling, you can be stopped by any number of checkpoints that will prohibit it, regardless if it is right or wrong. My statement is that in this day of age, you should be aware that what you have may stop you with the TSA, Homeland security, international ports, airports, land crossing, or any other place.

You don't carry guns, anything that looks like a gun, or anything that looks like a weapon of any kind. That includes key chains. I had a relative that lost a $5.00 key chain with TSA because it was a gun hanging on a key chain. We laugh about it, but this is the society we live in, and the traveling public needs to follow the absurd rules about it.

Going along with absurd rules is destroying our society.

Going through security in San Diego a few years ago, the security person pulled a large steak knife from the handbag of the woman in front of me. She was pulled aside and I don't know what happened to her or why she would have a steak knife with her.

Also, I live in the U.S., mostly in big cities, and, in my 70+ years, have never seen a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums