Security and a gun shaped house key story.

gwsster

The same key that gets Henry Echevarria into his home almost kept him and his wife from departing on a vacation cruise.

On Sunday, security screeners at Port Canaveral, Florida, told Echevarria and his wife, Lisa, that they could not board the Carnival cruise ship Liberty with his 2-inch, gun-shaped house key.

“He pulls out my key and says, ‘Oh, here’s the problem,’ ” said Henry Echevarria, who lives in this community about 45 miles north of Tampa. “It’s my house key, and he said, ‘Well, you can’t take it on.’ ” Both Henry and Lisa Echevarria work in law enforcement — Henry is a Pasco County deputy — so they know about security procedures and concerns.

“First of all, you can’t even get your finger in the hole if it was a gun, and you can barely get a finger around the grip,” he said.

He let Carnival put the key in a safe so he could retrieve it when they returned, but Henry Echevarria contended that action raised some security concerns of its own.

“They have my address. They have my key,” he said

While I think it is ridiculous rule, it is actually spelled out in their "restricted items" list... On my first cruise, I brought a small defensive knife (ironically allowed, per the same list) and was pulled aside, where they examined it then let me on board with no problems...

Per their list, anything that even looks like a gun or component is prohibited. Prohibited Items list

The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master.

Any illegal narcotics/drugs

All firearms Including replicas, Imitations and their components

Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles

Any other projectile-weapon (e.g. paint ball guns)

All ammunition

All explosives, including imitation explosives and devices

Fireworks, flares, pyrotechnics (excluding those which are part of the vessel's lifesaving equipment and which have been properly manifested)

Sharp pointed weapons including throwing stars

Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm

Open razors

Skean Dhus or Kirpans

Spears or spear guns

Crossbows, crossbow bolts and long bow arrows

Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, cashes, batons, flails or nunchaku

Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable)

Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals unless carried in limited quantities and in accordance with company instructions (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, etc.)

Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon

Stun devices

Large batteries

Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc.

Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones

Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segways (except those provided by the Company for shore excursions)

Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and aerosol cans

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers

I agree! My sister had one of those credit card knife in her wallet that her boyfriend had given her years ago. She rarely flies and this stupid thing held up security for 10 minutes trying to find it last May. She had totally forgotten about it and kept asking security what they were looking for. When they finally told her she was so mad that she had it in her wallet and was happy to have TSA trash it. What one person finds amusing may be a TSA-security issue. I saw the story and thought I would share.

"Security" has certainly gotten out of hand, but at the same time anyone in LE should be smart enough to not take a gun-shaped ANYTHING through a security checkpoint :rolleyes:

While I think it is ridiculous rule, it is actually spelled out in their "restricted items" list... On my first cruise, I brought a small defensive knife (ironically allowed, per the same list) and was pulled aside, where they examined it then let me on board with no problems...

Per their list, anything that even looks like a gun or component is prohibited. Prohibited Items list

The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master.

Any illegal narcotics/drugs

All firearms Including replicas, Imitations and their components

Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles

Any other projectile-weapon (e.g. paint ball guns)

All ammunition

A key that is shaped like a gun, does not look like a gun to me, as it is certainly not large enough to be one, it is not wide enough to be one and it is clearly not one. It is therefore not a replica or imitation of one. According to the original story Carnival agrees and has stated that blocking this type of item was not their intention and that they are working with the screeners to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Like I said, it's a ridiculous rule, and they allowed me to board with an actual weapon...

A key that is shaped like a gun, does not look like a gun to me, as it is certainly not large enough to be one, it is not wide enough to be one and it is clearly not one. It is therefore not a replica or imitation of one. According to the original story Carnival agrees and has stated that blocking this type of item was not their intention and that they are working with the screeners to make sure this doesn't happen again.

If by chance they thought it was a gun, what kind of ammo did they think it was loaded with?:confused:

Being proudly from Canada, the only time I have seen a real gun is on a police officer. Perhaps I am just very naive, but if I saw that tiny key shaped like a gun, I might not know it wasn't real. I would have been alarmed. The Carnival site states no replica guns allowed. That would, in my mind, include a key that is shaped like a gun. I am not ashamed for my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Being proudly from Canada, the only time I have seen a real gun is on a police officer. Perhaps I am just very naive, but if I saw that tiny key shaped like a gun, I might not know it wasn't real. I would have been alarmed. The Carnival site states no replica guns allowed. That would, in my mind, include a key that is shaped like a gun. I am not ashamed for my thoughts.

This would alarm you? Seriously?

636205886021733521-012117gun-shaped-key.jpg

636205886021733521-012117gun-shaped-key.jpg

It might...sorry...I said I am not ashamed for my thoughts. I have never seen a real gun in real life other than on a police officer. I know they can be quite small.

In my mind, a replica gun is a replica gun.

I agree! My sister had one of those credit card knife in her wallet that her boyfriend had given her years ago. She rarely flies and this stupid thing held up security for 10 minutes trying to find it last May. She had totally forgotten about it and kept asking security what they were looking for. When they finally told her she was so mad that she had it in her wallet and was happy to have TSA trash it. What one person finds amusing may be a TSA-security issue. I saw the story and thought I would share.

What is a credit card knife? The battery in my ecig bothered them.

This "replica" is a real issue. According to the Guinness world records, the smallest real gun measures about 2 inches, and it works. Now, can it shoot to kill? I doubt it, but it is still a gun. (less power than a BB gun) So your cute little toy, is not so cute, when it comes to security. My recommendation is to put your toys away, and get a key that does not look like a gun.

Swiss mini gun is the name of it.

Carnival and security did a good thing. Be thankful!

This "replica" is a real issue. According to the Guinness world records, the smallest real gun measures about 2 inches, and it works. Now, can it shoot to kill? I doubt it, but it is still a gun. (less power than a BB gun) So your cute little toy, is not so cute, when it comes to security. My recommendation is to put your toys away, and get a key that does not look like a gun.

My point.

Edited by Karlou

How do you feel about knives in the dining room?

The world smallest gun is still easily discernible from a key. I mean unmistakable! It has a revolving cylinder, a working hammer, the width to allow those things to function and a clearly visible barrel hole.

smallest-gun-in-world-2.jpg.a546916ec5a531446b4e6aadc81dc64e.jpg

In today's culture law enforcement officers (and those wanna be's) have killed people (including a 12 yr old I recall with a "play" gun and someone shot with a bag of skittles mistaken for a gun in pocket???) for carrying what they "thought" was a real gun. It is a shoot first ask questions later society now.

So in the interest of making "no mistakes" then security needs to make sure that something that even resembles a real gun needs to be called out. You never know the motives of the crazies in this world and the job of security is to protect all of us.

They did the right thing, you may think this is "cool" but they cant play favorites where security is concerned. I am sure you want what is best for the protection of the people around you right? Well, the next person carrying something similar could harm someone if it isn't just a key.

Can't be too careful now a days, isn't that why so many carry concealed, just in case that key is not just a key? ;)

Welcome to the "new" Carnival. I just took the last cruise I will ever take with them. We spent about $10,000.00 with them this last cruise and will not give them another dime. They showed me how heartless they are just as they showed this guy how incompetent they are in determining a real gun vs a house key.

How this should have gone down. Supervisor: Upon further review sir, we see that this was just a key and no cause for alarm, you'll be happy to know that the employee who delayed you for such a ridiculous matter has been taken out back and keyed.