Bavarian/German Buffet in Caribe

moorerf

Will be on the Caribbean Princess in about a month. I see they have a Bavarian or German buffet night in the Café Caribe. Does anyone know if they serve any kind of schnitzel at this meal??? I remember brats etc..but not sure about schnitzel or other meats as it has been some years since we tried the buffet. Thanks

Will be on the Caribbean Princess in about a month. I see they have a Bavarian or German buffet night in the Café Caribe. Does anyone know if they serve any kind of schnitzel at this meal??? I remember brats etc..but not sure about schnitzel or other meats as it has been some years since we tried the buffet. Thanks

They usually have pork schnitzel along with sauerbraten, red cabbage and spaetzle. YUM! Bavarian night is one of my favorites. :D

moorerf-How did you learn about German/Bavarian night at the Cafe Carribe? We sail on the Caribbean Princess in Sept., and I would really enjoy knowing about things like in advance. Thanks! :)

moorerf-How did you learn about German/Bavarian night at the Cafe Carribe? We sail on the Caribbean Princess in Sept., and I would really enjoy knowing about things like in advance. Thanks! :)

It seems odd but we have never noticed the specialty nights either. We usually eat dinner in MDR but do tend to visit HC or at least walk past the entrance a fair number of times and have never noticed any type of signage nor have we ever noticed anything in the Patter. Obviously there must be notification but...

It seems odd but we have never noticed the specialty nights either. We usually eat dinner in MDR but do tend to visit HC or at least walk past the entrance a fair number of times and have never noticed any type of signage nor have we ever noticed anything in the Patter. Obviously there must be notification but...
Theme nights in the buffet are usually listed in the Patter in the dining times section. It's in small print and easily overlooked.

The Bavarian night is my favorite, too. :)

We were on the Ruby for Thanksgiving, and we made a point to ask the head waiter in the Horizon Court to find out what night it would be held. (my husband really enjoys it) So, it may have been in the patter, but we already knew what night, so we could plan accordingly.

On our first cruise on the Caribbean Princess we found the Caribe Café while looking for seating in the Horizon Court. We were then told it has specialty themed meal buffets some nights. We watched the Patter and sure enough one night was Bavarian....

We came upon Bavarian theme night quite by accident. Schnitzel, sauerbraten,

spaetzle, red cabbage, all deelish. Ever since that cruise we make it a point to check with the head waiter in HC to find out when there is Bavarian night . It has been on every cruise since.

Actually, I don't think Café Caribe is used in the evening now on the CB. It seems to only be used for Crab Shack, breakfast and lunch. Some of the theme night menus are available in Horizon Court. There is another current thread which has a link to recent patters (scanned) where you can check the dining options. I used to like the Café Caribe, but on the CB two years ago I never found it operating in the evening.

On some of our cruises it has been in the patter, and some of it and has not. Sometimes we see it posted somewhere on the ship sometimes we do not. I'm pretty certain they have a set schedule on what they're making for every single cruise so you could just ask your first day on the ship which day it is if it does not appear to be showing up in your patter. I love Bavarian night! The food is very authentic and delicious. They quite often have Specialties that aren't common in German restaurants in America. It appears that most executive chefs on the ship are Germans so they do a great job at it. The Indian night is really good too, especially if you're a vegetarian in the group.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

Actually, I don't think Café Caribe is used in the evening now on the CB. It seems to only be used for Crab Shack, breakfast and lunch. Some of the theme night menus are available in Horizon Court. There is another current thread which has a link to recent patters (scanned) where you can check the dining options. I used to like the Café Caribe, but on the CB two years ago I never found it operating in the evening.
This was our experience as well. Café Caribe was our dining of choice until they stopped using it, or just used it for the Crab Shack.

That was a real bummer for us, because we found the food, the service, and the ambiance of the Café Caribe area to be a cut above the Horizon Court. That was where the bridge officers and entertainment staff ate as well.

In more recent Caribbean Princess cruises out of Houston this past year, Café Caribe was hardly used at all in the evening. Bavarian night was in the Horizon Court, however many of the other themed nights were gone.

We have found the theme to be most consistently shown in the chart showing the dining room hours.

We found the Royal Princess had more themed nights than on the Caribbean Princess - and the food was awesome.

This was our experience as well. Café Caribe was our dining of choice until they stopped using it, or just used it for the Crab Shack.

That was a real bummer for us, because we found the food, the service, and the ambiance of the Café Caribe area to be a cut above the Horizon Court. That was where the bridge officers and entertainment staff ate as well.

In more recent Caribbean Princess cruises out of Houston this past year, Café Caribe was hardly used at all in the evening. Bavarian night was in the Horizon Court, however many of the other themed nights were gone.

We have found the theme to be most consistently shown in the chart showing the dining room hours.

We found the Royal Princess had more themed nights than on the Caribbean Princess - and the food was awesome.

I agree with what you say, plus it was easy to take your meal outside to tables overlooking the stern. Now it is a long way from Horizon court and doesn't feel quite the same, not being able to just step inside for something else, or coffee. On crab shack night it sometimes isn't even possible to get through to the aft doors, and I have found the Horizon Court selections particularly poor those nights. Probably regular buffet food prep facilities and staff are being used for Crab Shack.

I agree with what you say, plus it was easy to take your meal outside to tables overlooking the stern. Now it is a long way from Horizon court and doesn't feel quite the same, not being able to just step inside for something else, or coffee. On crab shack night it sometimes isn't even possible to get through to the aft doors, and I have found the Horizon Court selections particularly poor those nights. Probably regular buffet food prep facilities and staff are being used for Crab Shack.

They do use some of the crew for the Crab shack but then again it means less people eating in the regular areas. I didn't see much difference in service, but we do eat early so maybe it wasn't as noticeable.

They do use some of the crew for the Crab shack but then again it means less people eating in the regular areas. I didn't see much difference in service, but we do eat early so maybe it wasn't as noticeable.

The service isn't an issue, I can get my own stuff. It's just that the food selection in Horizon Court seemed to be largely left over lunch items on Crab Shack night.

The service isn't an issue, I can get my own stuff. It's just that the food selection in Horizon Court seemed to be largely left over lunch items on Crab Shack night.

It may have seemed that way but I know it can't be true. Princess has a time limit on everything that's served on the buffet. After it expires, the item is disposed of in the garbage. Nothing can be saved, reheated & reserved again, even to the crew.

I've talked to a number of the sous chef's & although it's a big waste they won't bend the rules set down by the health dept.