Disembarking in Whitter earliest Flight times Need??

gagenie

Unless you're gettinb an expensive one-way rental car with Avis in Whittier, you are dependent on the schedule of whichever transfer vendor you use. Their schedule will determine your flight time.

Keep in mind that you go thru a tunnel just outside of whittier and it's only open once an hr in each direction.

Options incl cruiseline transfer, alaska railroad, park connection bus, seward buslines, and indepencent transfers.such as ACT Alaska Cruise Transportation https://alaskacruisetransfer.com

Unless you're gettinb an expensive one-way rental car with Avis in Whittier, you are dependent on the schedule of whichever transfer vendor you use. Their schedule will determine your flight time.

Keep in mind that you go thru a tunnel just outside of whittier and it's only open once an hr in each direction.

Options incl cruiseline transfer, alaska railroad, park connection bus, seward buslines, and indepencent transfers.such as ACT Alaska Cruise Transportation https://alaskacruisetransfer.com

So I guess a 11:00 AM flight is out of the question then. Looks like we will have to take one of those redeye flights back to Atlanta

Thank you mapleleaves!

Yikes, an 11am would be impossible even with a rental car!!

Instead of taking a red eye, do some sightseeing and catch that 11am flight the following morning..

We would do that but that still wouldn't put us into Atlanta until 11:55 PM and then we have a 2 hour drive from the airport and my son has to go back to work on Monday. I guess I am just going to find something late evening or night and arrive back in Atlanta on Sunday morning and we can just sightsee in Anchorage for the day and head to the airport that evening

We would do that but that still wouldn't put us into Atlanta until 11:55 PM and then we have a 2 hour drive from the airport and my son has to go back to work on Monday. I guess I am just going to find something late evening or night and arrive back in Atlanta on Sunday morning and we can just sightsee in Anchorage for the day and head to the airport that evening

Already planning for our trip next summer and looks like we will run into the same issue travelling back to CT. I've been peeking at flight scenarios.

Please keep the thread updated as to what you decide to do. I would hope the cruise line (Princess) has an excursion that includes some sightseeing and then a drop off at the airport.

Already planning for our trip next summer and looks like we will run into the same issue travelling back to CT. I've been peeking at flight scenarios.

Please keep the thread updated as to what you decide to do. I would hope the cruise line (Princess) has an excursion that includes some sightseeing and then a drop off at the airport.

The vendor i posted above offers a simple transfer option, OR, a tour that ends around 4/5pm at the airport. Can't imagine the cruiseline would offer anything longer. Call and ask. Post back with the answer.

If you have a red eye, a better solution would be to take a transfer then rent a car for the day, returning it to the airport at nite. That would provide you with several hrs to sightsee; .Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort, Portage Glacier/Lake, Byron Glacier, Potters Marsh, etc. All are wthin 40 minutes of the airport so an easy drive.

A one-way Avis from Whttier would be most efficient use of your time, but you'll need to price it out and see if the extra time you gain is worth the cost.

So I guess a 11:00 AM flight is out of the question then. Looks like we will have to take one of those redeye flights back to Atlanta

Thank you mapleleaves!

You need to plan on an late afternoon flight at the earliest. By the tiime you get off the ship and transfer to Anchorage it will take at least 3 hours. You need to allow a minimum of two hours to check in and clear security in Anchorage.

The red eyes back to ATL are not that bad, but assuming you are on Delta, don't pay or use miles for business class, just go economy comfort. The benefits up from are not worth it and the seats are horrible (assuming they are using either the 757 or the 767 that they usually fly on that route).

The vendor i posted above offers a simple transfer option, OR, a tour that ends around 4/5pm at the airport. Can't imagine the cruiseline would offer anything longer. Call and ask. Post back with the answer.

If you have a red eye, a better solution would be to take a transfer then rent a car for the day, returning it to the airport at nite. That would provide you with several hrs to sightsee; .Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort, Portage Glacier/Lake, Byron Glacier, Potters Marsh, etc. All are wthin 40 minutes of the airport so an easy drive.

A one-way Avis from Whttier would be most efficient use of your time, but you'll need to price it out and see if the extra time you gain is worth the cost.

OP would be better with a one way rental from Whittier than a transfer. All of the places you mention are about 15 minutes from Whittier, and on the way to ANC.

OP would be better with a one way rental from Whittier than a transfer. All of the places you mention are about 15 minutes from Whittier, and on the way to ANC.

I provided info that AVIS is the only vendor in Whittier, but it's up to the OP to determine which option is "better". We don't know their circumstances or budget ....heck, some people wouldn't even consider driving in Alaska!

I sure will once we get it all figured out what we are going to do.

You need to plan on an late afternoon flight at the earliest. By the tiime you get off the ship and transfer to Anchorage it will take at least 3 hours. You need to allow a minimum of two hours to check in and clear security in Anchorage.

The red eyes back to ATL are not that bad, but assuming you are on Delta, don't pay or use miles for business class, just go economy comfort. The benefits up from are not worth it and the seats are horrible (assuming they are using either the 757 or the 767 that they usually fly on that route).

I think we have found a nonstop flight from Anchorage to Atlanta leaving Anchoring at 7:50 arriving next morning in Atlanta and yes it with Delta

I provided info that AVIS is the only vendor in Whittier, but it's up to the OP to determine which option is "better". We don't know their circumstances or budget ....heck, some people wouldn't even consider driving in Alaska!

I am going to look at renting a car and just drive back to the airport that night giving us a day to look around Anchorage, now I know why people do round trips:) wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to fly all the way across the US with difference time zones

I am going to look at renting a car and just drive back to the airport that night giving us a day to look around Anchorage, now I know why people do round trips:) wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to fly all the way across the US with difference time zones

There are great boat rides out of Whittier the day you disembark. They will arrange for a fee transportation (train I think) back to Anchorage for you.

I am sure that is exactly what you want is to get on another boat ride :)

If it helps - I have done 2 RT Alaska trips, one out of Seattle and one out of Vancouver. I much prefer the one ways..... In the end, you will remember the vacation but will ultimately forget the flight back.

Edited by Coral

It's also the reason that some folks choose a southbound cruise ; they want to get that long flight out of the way.

These links provide suggested stopping points for the area just south of Anchorage. Hope they give you some good ideas.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

There are great boat rides out of Whittier the day you disembark. They will arrange for a fee transportation (train I think) back to Anchorage for you.

I am sure that is exactly what you want is to get on another boat ride :)

If it helps - I have done 2 RT Alaska trips, one out of Seattle and one out of Vancouver. I much prefer the one ways..... In the end, you will remember the vacation but will ultimately forget the flight back.

We did a roundtrip out of Seattle in 2014, I thought this time the one way would be better cause we would be able to stay in Alaska more! Just the flights is the pits getting back to GA!

Thank you Coral that does make me feel better!:)

It's also the reason that some folks choose a southbound cruise ; they want to get that long flight out of the way.

These links provide suggested stopping points for the area just south of Anchorage. Hope they give you some good ideas.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

Well we thought about that but couldn't go on the Tracy Arm Fjord tour out of Juneau with the southbound.

Thank you so much for the links Mapleleaves and all your help!!

OK all set now, We are taking the Alaska Cruise Transfer tour that Mapleleaves suggested. Its cheaper than what Princess offers. We do the 7 hour tour and then they will drop us off at the airport.

Avis want $400+ for a one way car rental not paying that much for a car rental. :eek:

OK all set now, We are taking the Alaska Cruise Transfer tour that Mapleleaves suggested. Its cheaper than what Princess offers. We do the 7 hour tour and then they will drop us off at the airport.

Avis want $400+ for a one way car rental not paying that much for a car rental. :eek:

You could also just use the transfer-only option for an airport dropoff at 10:30am. Pick up a car from Enterprise at the airport for $100 and have the day to sightsee .... going where you want to go and on your schedule.

The sights on the narrated transfer are within 45-60 minutes of the airport so it's an easy drive.

You could also just use the transfer-only option for an airport dropoff at 10:30am. Pick up a car from Enterprise at the airport for $100 and have the day to sightsee .... going where you want to go and on your schedule.

The sights on the narrated transfer are within 45-60 minutes of the airport so it's an easy drive.

I will check out that option also but I think we are leaning towards the Tour/Transfer. Thanks for your help!

I will check out that option also but I think we are leaning towards the Tour/Transfer. Thanks for your help!

just an option to consider.

Do whatever you're most comfortable with ... it's your trip! Have a great time!

Trip report when you get back. Doesn't HAVE to be a photojournal, just your activities at each location, highlights, lowlights.

I suggest you take a good look at touring options? A lot of transfer tours are, just "ok" in my opinion, filling up time. There are numerous highlights to also consider. It's even possible- with a rental car, to perhaps include glacier trekking at Matanuska, with a late overnight flight.

In general, you need to be at the airport for domestic flights 2 hours ahead. You really can't shorten this even though reports will claim their time was less.

just an option to consider.

Do whatever you're most comfortable with ... it's your trip! Have a great time!

Trip report when you get back. Doesn't HAVE to be a photojournal, just your activities at each location, highlights, lowlights.

I will try and do a trip report when I get back, not very good at those kinds of things!

I suggest you take a good look at touring options? A lot of transfer tours are, just "ok" in my opinion, filling up time. There are numerous highlights to also consider. It's even possible- with a rental car, to perhaps include glacier trekking at Matanuska, with a late overnight flight.

In general, you need to be at the airport for domestic flights 2 hours ahead. You really can't shorten this even though reports will claim their time was less.

I am reading everything I can about things in and around Anchorage. I think I've got everything planned except for Skagway and Anchorage. We did the Bennett Lake trip bus up train back before in Skagway so I want to do something different this time any suggestions? How far is it to Haines?

Thank you!!