over the top prices on rci

mainmast

We would never do the slides so I can't justify the cost difference. And we love the Champagne bar, Id rather the staff at champagne bar we see time after time vs the bionic bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me I did want to go new, but I booked before those slides were introduced. I quickly looked and got a better cabin no obstruction for less. For me it is usually schooner, but maybe if bionic has slow times give it a 1 time try. Champs bar is great. I actually really enjoyed the Crown Vik on Adventure. Staff off the bat was absolutely welcoming and treated me amazing the whole week. Couldn't say that for schooner on Adventure.

I am going to have to scope Ms. O out. It is still 7 months out.

I am a tad surprised that RCI is not tracking people that had a large amount of cruises booked and then down to 2 and stayed at 2 for months now. Nothing they are offering is getting people engaged to reserve more. If I was them I would be a tad worried. You can only for so long keep filling boats we newbies. With most likely an economy crash on the horizon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

For me I did want to go new, but I booked before those slides were introduced. I quickly looked and got a better cabin no obstruction for less. For me it is usually schooner, but maybe if bionic has slow times give it a 1 time try. Champs bar is great. I actually really enjoyed the Crown Vik on Adventure. Staff off the bat was absolutely welcoming and treated me amazing the whole week. Couldn't say that for schooner on Adventure.

I am going to have to scope Ms. O out. It is still 7 months out.

I am a tad surprised that RCI is not tracking people that had a large amount of cruises booked and then down to 2 and stayed at 2 for months now. Nothing they are offering is getting people engaged to reserve more. If I was them I would be a tad worried. You can only for so long keep filling boats we newbies. With most likely an economy crash on the horizon.

Disclaimer, this is very rough. :eek:

I think the US cruise market is still untapped. Aren't there something like 8-9 million C&A members, most of which are Gold and Platinum, so most are still newbies.

Probably 5-6 million are in the US. US population is like 330 million. Half probably can't afford to cruise. So that leaves 160 million potential customers. So only around 4% of the potential US market has sailed with Royal.

Disclaimer, this is very rough. :eek:

I think the US cruise market is still untapped. Aren't there something like 8-9 million C&A members, most of which are Gold and Platinum, so most are still newbies.

Probably 5-6 million are in the US. US population is like 330 million. Half probably can't afford to cruise. So that leaves 160 million potential customers. So only around 4% of the potential US market has sailed with Royal.

I would think you also need to figure in half don't want to cruise or feels it is a dirty industry. Along with another half rather just do land base.

I have seen the product getting less and expense way more. Then again it is happening in every avenue. Although generally you can find decent staff; you just have search for them it seems now.

As others suggested it is good to adverture the horizon, and it may just be going to the sea coast or lake and enjoying that type of vacation for a change and I have some pretty amazing ones of both here in New England.

Could someone please price the below for me from the US RCI website:

Allure of the Seas 8th April 2018 Western Caribbean in a Grand Suite

I want to see the difference between it and the price I'm seeing on UK site

Thanks in advance!

$3,788 plus $115.20 per person

BOGO60 discount $2,273

Avg cost per person: $2,766.70

Total: $5,533.40

Sent from a mobile device

I don't think RCI's prices are particularly high - at least not the cruises I book. :D I tend to book cruises way in advance, then check for price drops. My May 2017 Hawaii and Alaska cruises on Radiance were very reasonable when I booked them, although I wouldn't pay what they are going for now.

To save money - book early and check for price drops, or book late. If your cruise is during a vacation period - expect to pay a lot more.

I don't think RCI's prices are particularly high - at least not the cruises I book. :D I tend to book cruises way in advance, then check for price drops. My May 2017 Hawaii and Alaska cruises on Radiance were very reasonable when I booked them, although I wouldn't pay what they are going for now.

To save money - book early and check for price drops, or book late. If your cruise is during a vacation period - expect to pay a lot more.

Good advice

I would think you also need to figure in half don't want to cruise or feels it is a dirty industry. Along with another half rather just do land base.

I have seen the product getting less and expense way more. Then again it is happening in every avenue. Although generally you can find decent staff; you just have search for them it seems now.

As others suggested it is good to adverture the horizon, and it may just be going to the sea coast or lake and enjoying that type of vacation for a change and I have some pretty amazing ones of both here in New England.

That's what the marketing department is for I would hope. ;)

I was just trying to size up the potential market.

Lots of first timers on the cruises out of PC, always has been.

$3,788 plus $115.20 per person

BOGO60 discount $2,273

Avg cost per person: $2,766.70

Total: $5,533.40

Sent from a mobile device

Holy smokes!! We're being ripped off in the UK!

Exact same cruise on RCI website for UK customers is £6,232.70 = $7,803.96.

+$2,270.56 difference for the same room on same cruise. Madness.

I'm glad we booked through a US TA - total was $5,392.40 with $200 OBC included.

That's what the marketing department is for I would hope. ;)

I was just trying to size up the potential market.

Lots of first timers on the cruises out of PC, always has been.

Yes, but if the Marketing department works as good as the Website Department [emoji13] there in for a bumpy ride.

Yes, but if the Marketing department works as good as the Website Department [emoji13] there in for a bumpy ride.

Here's one for you. 10,000 Baby Boomers turn 65 every day. Lots of potential retirement cruises. ;)

And that should happen every day for the next ten years. :eek:

Here's one for you. 10,000 Baby Boomers turn 65 every day. Lots of potential retirement cruises. ;)

Execpt a high % of them are broke or close to it. For the foreseeable future only to get worse especially if their Medicare goes! Excellent thought and try though.

I am the last year baby boomer and I am really reeling in my expenses, because the future is beyond unknown. My September Oasis cruise is in jeopardy of I don’t think I want to use the money on something so disposable.

I feel there are to many folks on this thread who won't find value at $1,000 PP for 8 night balcony cabin. That's $125 per night for goodness sakes. :rolleyes:

Is that with any special discount?

Balcony, age, residence, etc..

Any OBC?

It was a straight up price with the 30% off per passenger and $100.00 off at checkout promotion. That price included tax and port fees. The price today is $71.00 more with the new pricing gimmick. Still a great deal in my book.

It was a straight up price with the 30% off per passenger and $100.00 off at checkout promotion. That price included tax and port fees. The price today is $71.00 more with the new pricing gimmick. Still a great deal in my book.

Actually it is cheaper now by $29.00 after C&A discount.:)

I'm booked to sail in July aboard the Oasis of the Seas. My motivation for booking this cruise was simply that I wanted to see the ship. My friends keep telling me that I can book a cheaper cruise line that offers better ports, but I'm reluctant. I wish the fare was lower, and I keep checking, but I'm determined to sail on Oasis. I hope it's as beautiful and fun as it appears. 😀

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

I'm booked to sail in July aboard the Oasis of the Seas. My motivation for booking this cruise was simply that I wanted to see the ship. My friends keep telling me that I can book a cheaper cruise line that offers better ports, but I'm reluctant. I wish the fare was lower, and I keep checking, but I'm determined to sail on Oasis. I hope it's as beautiful and fun as it appears. [emoji3]

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

Yes, the Oasis class ships are a destination themselves. You will enjoy the ship as well as the ports! We have been on all 3 and will sail on them again this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before we booked our first RCCL cruise we did look into MSC. The feeling I got was that the level match and their prices were to start building up their reputation in the Caribbean and then I would guess that their prices would start to raise just like the other lines. Not sure how long they have been sailing in this area, but it is definitely a crowded market.

I just wish RCCL would do a loyalty match or partial match with DCL. We have enough nights on DCL that we would be Diamond, 97.

Great point. My Dad turned 70, just started cruising & loves it with more planned. Been cruising myself for 30 yrs and as I've said on here before cruising now is still lot cheaper now. In 1988 it cost $3600 for the cheapest outside deck 2 cabin with a tiny porthole. Was on my honeymoon on the brand new Sovereign of the Seas, at the time was the worlds biggest cruise ship... Royal ships back then even didn't even have Balcony cabins. But in 1988 there was afternoon tea time with mini sandwiches, Soda Pop was free with meals, they cleaned your room 8 times a day and had nightly turn down service with a mint on your pillow...

On the other hand, some disturbing figures on boomers that might offset the number of potential cruises:

1. 59% relying heavily on Social Security

2. 45% have no retirement savings

3. 30% postponed their retirement plans

4. 30% stopped contributing to retirement accounts

5. 44% are lugging around debt

Besides, most retirees end up on HAL. :D

On the other hand, some disturbing figures on boomers that might offset the number of potential cruises:

1. 59% relying heavily on Social Security

2. 45% have no retirement savings

3. 30% postponed their retirement plans

4. 30% stopped contributing to retirement accounts

5. 44% are lugging around debt

Besides, most retirees end up on HAL. :D

Sure, sounds about right.

That still leaves 4,000 a day that might be in the market to cruise. 😉

I'm just saying that while everyone on this board is interested in cruising, it's just a few million people. There are easily 100 million that marketing folks are after.

Sale, Sale, Sale

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Sure, sounds about right.

That still leaves 4,000 a day that might be in the market to cruise. 😉

I'm just saying that while everyone on this board is interested in cruising, it's just a few million people. There are easily 100 million that marketing folks are after.

Sale, Sale, Sale

Oh, I totally agree with you. I just found those stats, which I ran across earlier in the day, to be quite interesting given your post. FWIW, I've read that the figure of 10,000 boomers turning 65 every day applies to the US alone. Globally, it would be far higher, something I'm sure the marketing folks are drooling over.

Oh, I totally agree with you. I just found those stats, which I ran across earlier in the day, to be quite interesting given your post. FWIW, I've read that the figure of 10,000 boomers turning 65 every day applies to the US alone. Globally, it would be far higher, something I'm sure the marketing folks are drooling over.

Definitely, I was mainly focussing on US since close to 75% of Totals client base is from North America. I think....

let us know how the MSC experience in the Med compares to the one you had in the Caribbean

Will do. We're taking a family cruise in the Med, with 4 suites in a row in the Yacht Club. We're all quite excited.

I think the per person rate was about $1,500/ea, including fees. So, for that kind of cruise, in the YC, with alcohol included, butler, concierge, private pool for YC, private dining, we are really looking forward to it.

I have enough frequent flier miles to cover my tix to Bacelona (still have to pay fees). But, the rest of my family does not. So, that's an extra expense that has to be figured in.

Divina was great. We'll be on the Meraviglia, which is a new ship sailing this Sept.

Will report back!

Will do. We're taking a family cruise in the Med, with 4 suites in a row in the Yacht Club. We're all quite excited.

I think the per person rate was about $1,500/ea, including fees. So, for that kind of cruise, in the YC, with alcohol included, butler, concierge, private pool for YC, private dining, we are really looking forward to it.

I have enough frequent flier miles to cover my tix to Bacelona (still have to pay fees). But, the rest of my family does not. So, that's an extra expense that has to be figured in.

Divina was great. We'll be on the Meraviglia, which is a new ship sailing this Sept.

Will report back!

If you don't mind, how many people per cabin to get that kind of PP cost?

Laura can barely share a cabin with me. :eek:

If you don't mind, how many people per cabin to get that kind of PP cost?

Laura can barely share a cabin with me. :eek:

LOL! We have 2 to a cabin. And, I unintentionally just quoted my cabin cost. It's 5% less than the rest of the family, as I did a status match to BLACK with MSC. That gave me an additional discount.

Not sure how families survive. I'm trying to rebook my cruise for this summer, ( yeh I know high season) but kids are out if school. I can't find any lower priced cabins for two near each other for less than 7k for 5. ( oasis class) I ended up rebooking oasis eastern although we did this same ship and itinerary 4 years ago. I am excited as we got two cabins right next door but I'd prefer either a different ship or itinerary but can't find similar pricing! How to u all do it