over the top prices on rci

mainmast

But, they don't sail with half empty ships. I don't believe anyway. They can charge the higher prices because people will pay them. I won't, but people do. I will sail on RCI if the price is right, but they are not worth paying a premium for. IMO. Plenty of other good choices abound on many other lines!

i see that a lot of the cruise lines have dropped there very high prices for this year 2017 so why are rci holding to there high prices like a dog with bone i suppose they can aford to sale with half empty ships

They are holding on to their prices because they can and still sail with full ships. Please cite your source for "half empty ships" - where did you get this?

RCI prices are indeed high, but this is a competitive business with lots of choices, and consumers have more resources than ever to compare and choose. I don't think they (RCI) are being duplicitous, the expense is discretionary, and IIRC RCI just declared a record year for profits.

i see that a lot of the cruise lines have dropped there very high prices for this year 2017 so why are rci holding to there high prices like a dog with bone i suppose they can aford to sale with half empty ships

well well well wondered when the people who can afford these silly price would stick up for rci you think they where paid by them to post these things

'Dropping' prices indicates an inability to sell. You asked the question and got common sense answers. The fact that you equate the responders to being shills for the company says more about you than them.

well well well wondered when the people who can afford these silly price would stick up for rci you think they where paid by them to post these things

I have never sailed on a "half empty ship" - on any line.

If you can't afford the prices currently being offered on RC (which you equate to RC being able to afford "sailing half empty", choose one of those other lines dropping their prices to sail at full capacity that likely will more appropriately fit your budget.

I have never sailed on a "half empty ship" - on any line.

If you can't afford the prices currently being offered on RC (which you equate to RC being able to afford "sailing half empty", choose one of those other lines dropping their prices to sail at full capacity that likely will more appropriately fit your budget.

I have never sailed a half empty ship. I wish a half empty ship, more room for me!:D In fact I have never sailed a half full ship either!

In my opinion, the cruise line posts high prices than has some sort of "sale". Folks, especially new cruisers, think they are getting a great deal because their price was 30% off or whatever the current promotion happens to be.

As long as the consumer is satisfied with the price paid, everyone is happy. As others have stated, ships seem to sail full or even overbooked.

Enjoy

M

Believe me, they are sailing with their ships full. While their prices may be high, they are selling the cabins. People ARE paying the prices.

We enjoyed out cruise on Oasis last year, but we only booked it because it was only 200-300 more than Carnival. Figured that was the right time to do it, and we are so glad we did!

Back on Carnival this year, but Oasis was a great ship!!!:D:D:D

They sailed at over 105% capacity last year. As long as people keep paying they will keep raising the prices. Absolutely nothing to do with what other lines are charging.

Your post piqued my curiosity. I've read so often that a ship's capacity isn't determined by the number of bed spaces available but instead by the spaces available in the lifeboats, tenders, etc. If that's the case, would a ship even be allowed to sail at over 105% of capacity, let alone the cruise line?

Your post piqued my curiosity. I've read so often that a ship's capacity isn't determined by the number of bed spaces available but instead by the spaces available in the lifeboats, tenders, etc. If that's the case, would a ship even be allowed to sail at over 105% of capacity, let alone the cruise line?

The reference to 100% is figured 2 people to a cabin. Lot of cabins hold 3 4 or 5... Over 2 in a cabin equals over 100%

Who said anything about affordability? At least one poster has said they choose Royal only if the 'price is right'

Everyone's definition of the 'right price' differs.

The prices can't be very silly if people from all walks of life are paying them.

Where was I paid? Oh that's right, I am not a paid spokesperson and do not play one on cruise critic. We were not paid at all to refute your statements.

By the way, the best way to ensure people do not dismiss your opinions and claims as ridiculous is to form cogent sentences with proper grammar, spelling and capitalization. Makes you appear to care enough about your position to take the time to present it correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have found a few "bargains" lately. On the big ships. Quite a few balconies ocean and neighborhood balconies for close to $200 per night total (taxes and port charges included) for 2 people. After balcony discount. Switched a T/A and med cruise because of these prices got 5 cruises for the price of the 2.

The reference to 100% is figured 2 people to a cabin. Lot of cabins hold 3 4 or 5... Over 2 in a cabin equals over 100%

So, in addition to the maximum capacity determined by lifeboats, there's a "on paper" maximum capacity based on 2 passengers per cabin. As such a large percentage of cabins hold more than 2 passengers, what purpose does this artificial capacity serve? Again, just curious.

Do you know the other lines have actually/legitimately dropped their prices?

They are more likely using the same technique that RC uses. They say they are on sale, right after they have raised their prices the same amount or more. ;)

Edited by A&L_Ont

So, in addition to the maximum capacity determined by lifeboats, there's a "on paper" maximum capacity based on 2 passengers per cabin. As such a large percentage of cabins hold more than 2 passengers, what purpose does this artificial capacity serve? Again, just curious.

Maximum capacity (lifeboats) and capacity (as referred to in Royal's annual reports) are two entirely different numbers.

Capacity at 2 per cabin is just how the industry compares and reports metrics to the financial community.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I've been tracking the prices for our Allure cruise in March since I booked it last August. At first, the price dropped a couple times - and I would call and have our price lowered. Since during the fall, however, the price has been largely climbing.

It goes up or down (largely up) every few days. It's varied from below $1100pp for our superior ocean view balcony to over $1500. It's all supply/demand - not all that different from airfares. Years back, my husband worked in IT at United - in Inventory Management. Fares changed constantly. As inventory goes down - prices always go up. I used to work in IT at Official Airline Guides many years back - and we'd process up to a million or more fare changes each night (included changes to the fares themselves, rules and footnotes).

I don't think that Royal Caribbean prices are particularly high. If you compare similar cruises across Disney, Princess or Celebrity cruise lines Royal is nearly always the cheapest.

Uh, this is not reality. Go compare any sailing on an Oasis, Allure, Harmony with say Princess. I just checked 4 random carribean sailing 2 in March 2 in May.

All 4 of them RCI was 30-40% more for an ocenview balcony. That is a HUGE premium and is fairly consistent year round.

Now .. don't get me wrong I happen to think they are worth the premium, they have no competition, there is nothing on the sea from any other cruise line that compares with the Oasis line. This is why they sell out despite charging a hefty premium.

Now I didn't think I did bad last week booking for the Allure of the Sea's Oct 2017 for a boardwalk balcony $574 pp for 7day and you get the 2 free soda cards, Johnny Rockets for 4 ...but there is only 2 of us! LOL ...then don't really know what the rock climbing wall session is going to be included in that price.

But I have seen an increase over the years....but what hasn't to us it is still the good value vacation. LOVE TO CRUISE is my middle name...lol

Edited by sj25

Now I didn't think I did bad last week booking for the Allure of the Sea's Oct 2017 for a boardwalk balcony $574 pp for 7day and you get the 2 free soda cards, Johnny Rockets for 4 ...but there is only 2 of us! LOL ...then don't really know what the rock climbing wall session is going to be included in that price.

But I have seen an increase over the years....but what hasn't to us it is still the good value vacation. LOVE TO CRUISE is my middle name...lol

I agree, as compared spending week in Orlando with 3 kids a cruise is still lot cheaper. I always mention that cruising is also lot cheaper then 30 yrs ago. My first cruise in Sovereign in 1988 was $3600 for a deck 2 tiny porthole 120 sq ft cabin. A lot on a Corporal/E-4 pay. The Sovereign class, the largest cruise ship in world didn't even have balcony cabins back then...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Unless you believe RCCL is lying to the SEC in their quarterly filings, they earned less per person per day in 2016 ($211) than 2015 ($215). They made it up with volume and on board spending.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/16293-royal-caribbean-2016-earnings-increase-driven-by-capacity-onboard-spend-and-cost-savings.html