Did I make a bad choice? re: check in time

ckmommy72

We're going on our first cruise out of Baltimore on the Pride leaving on Easter Sunday. When I did online check in, I had my choice of several check in times, as early as 11:00 (I think, don't remember 100%), but I chose 2-2:30. We're coming from NJ about 1:45 away, and my thought was, since it's Easter that we would have time to get up and go to mass, and get on the road without rushing too much.

Now I'm wondering if we should have picked an earlier time...I see so many posts about people getting to the port an hour or more before check in times start, buying FTTF to get on faster, etc. Is this just because they want to get on and start enjoying the ship, or is the terminal insane later, around the time I chose? Or possibly some other reason I'm missing. I don't want to deal with crazy crowds and more than necessary, so maybe I should see if I can switch to an earlier time?

With your time there should be no crowds. You should walk right on. We like to get on the ship early so we always get FTTF. It gets you on the ship earlier, gives you priority tendering and a priority guest service line. To us it is worth it as we like to start our vacation early on the first day.

On the other had we have gotten on at 2:30 and loved not having any crowds. So it is a personal choice. Easter Mass certainly is a good reason to choose the later check in time :)

No way I would actually purposely plan to get to the port that late. What if there's traffic or an accident. You could forget something and need to turn around. I mean anything can happen and it doesn't take much for things to go south.

I would plan to arrive no later than noon. If you have early mass, like the first one, you can still get on the road and leave yourself a few hours wiggle room. Better safe than sorry.

We used to live in NJ.

Isn't there usually a lot of traffic on Sundays??

Have you factored that into your drive time??

We live about 1 1/2 hrs from the port here in California and we often go the night before and stay in a hotel near the port just to make sure we are there on time with no problems! That is probably being overly careful but I think you get my point.

IF it were my trip I'd be on the road immediately after early mass even if I couldn't change the check in time to an earlier one.

We used to live in NJ.

Isn't there usually a lot of traffic on Sundays??

Have you factored that into your drive time??

We live about 1 1/2 hrs from the port here in California and we often go the night before and stay in a hotel near the port just to make sure we are there on time with no problems! That is probably being overly careful but I think you get my point.

IF it were my trip I'd be on the road immediately after early mass even if I couldn't change the check in time to an earlier one.

Yes, We've absolutely factored that into our plans... I'm an obsessive planner and factor every eventuality into our trips, hence this post. :) Though we don't live in north Jersey where traffic is the worst, it's still Jersey and we have a fair amount. We plan to leave extra travel time, but I just wondered if I was missing something not arriving super early at the port and sitting in a line of cars waiting for them to open the gates. I'd much rather get there later and "miss" having lunch or doing some exploring in order to save our sanity. But, if getting there early was the sanity saver, I want to know that too, kwim?

I've heard people say they want to get on board ASAP so they can start working on getting their money's worth out of the drinks package :-)

Me, on the other hand, I don't mind waiting a bit for the crowds to thin out. It will be much less crowded once the first rush has passed.

Leave enough wiggle room for traffic to make yourself comfortable, and then come when you like.

Yes, We've absolutely factored that into our plans... I'm an obsessive planner and factor every eventuality into our trips, hence this post. :) Though we don't live in north Jersey where traffic is the worst, it's still Jersey and we have a fair amount. We plan to leave extra travel time, but I just wondered if I was missing something not arriving super early at the port and sitting in a line of cars waiting for them to open the gates. I'd much rather get there later and "miss" having lunch or doing some exploring in order to save our sanity. But, if getting there early was the sanity saver, I want to know that too, kwim?

If you are planning to arrive earlier and will then just wait until the crowds clear and physically check-in at the 2:00/2:30 slot, then you will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

If you are comfy with the drive time then I see no problem with arriving later in the day when you can just check in and go straight to your cabin instead of dragging your carryon with you while waiting for the cabin to be ready! Enjoy your cruise!!

No way I would actually purposely plan to get to the port that late. What if there's traffic or an accident. You could forget something and need to turn around. I mean anything can happen and it doesn't take much for things to go south.

I would plan to arrive no later than noon. If you have early mass, like the first one, you can still get on the road and leave yourself a few hours wiggle room. Better safe than sorry.

This is me. We live about an hour from our two home ports and I always think about traffic, accidents, fwy closure and car trouble. I like to get there by 11:00 at the latest.

We have to wait anyway but I prefer waiting at the terminal because I know I'm there.

You'll be fine. Plan to arrive an hour earlier than you feel comfortable to account for traffic, etc. Tailgate in the parking lot until your check-in time if you arrive early and you'll breeze right on board.

While arriving early and boarding as soon as they start is nice, doing it the way you want (going to mass, travelling at a leisurely pace, etc) will be much less stressful than rushing to get on board an hour or two earlier.

I'd take an early check-in time.

You cannot enter the terminal until your check-in time so you couldn't arrive early and get in.

BUT ,... if you choose an earlier time you can enter the terminal any time after that chosen time. That way if you arrive before 2:00 you can check -in then and not have to wait.:)

You cannot enter the terminal until your check-in time so you couldn't arrive early and get in.

BUT ,... if you choose an earlier time you can enter the terminal any time after that chosen time. That way if you arrive before 2:00 you can check -in then and not have to wait.:)

You can always pick a earlier check in time and then if you arrive later you wont have to worry about waiting.

I think this is what we will do. I checked and could change the time to 12:30, so i did.

Thank you, everyone for you thoughts and replies!

I agree with Summersigh- I'd pick the earliest time I could get, then just arrive at the time that suits me. In your case, if you run into traffic after church or have a flat tire, and you get there at 2, you're fine. But if nothing happens and you get there at 1, you can just board. I've never boarded that late (I'm anal about getting on board as early as possible- don't hate!), but I've heard that any time after noon to check in and board the crowds really start to thin out.

All the Californians who live close enough to drive into port are saying allow for extra travel time. Not too sure about New Jersey but traffic on major family holidays can just about triple the usual commute time in Los Angeles. Sunday drivers, once-in-a-blue-moon freeway drivers usually have no idea which lane goes where, GPS can give wrong directions. Add to that any excuse for rubbernecking and the commute can be truly miserable. Remember going to Disneyland on Christmas Day one year. (Part of a program, we would have never chosen that date) The one hour commute turned into a 6 hour ordeal.

I'd go to Easter Services the night before, if possible. Or even leave from church after the earliest (sunrise?) service.

Edited by SadieN

We're going on our first cruise out of Baltimore on the Pride leaving on Easter Sunday. When I did online check in, I had my choice of several check in times, as early as 11:00 (I think, don't remember 100%), but I chose 2-2:30. We're coming from NJ about 1:45 away, and my thought was, since it's Easter that we would have time to get up and go to mass, and get on the road without rushing too much.

Now I'm wondering if we should have picked an earlier time...I see so many posts about people getting to the port an hour or more before check in times start, buying FTTF to get on faster, etc. Is this just because they want to get on and start enjoying the ship, or is the terminal insane later, around the time I chose? Or possibly some other reason I'm missing. I don't want to deal with crazy crowds and more than necessary, so maybe I should see if I can switch to an earlier time?

At that time there will be no lines .