Wine & UBP

taxmantoo

Am a bit confused about the wine choices offered when you have the Ultimate Beverage Package.

Have read several posts saying the choices are pretty dismal when using UBP.

UBP states that any beverage under $15 is allowed. The NCL wine list on their website lists at least 20 whites and 20 reds by the glass under this threshold.

Am I missing something? Are all these wines not available under UBP?

Am a bit confused about the wine choices offered when you have the Ultimate Beverage Package.

Have read several posts saying the choices are pretty dismal when using UBP.

UBP states that any beverage under $15 is allowed. The NCL wine list on their website lists at least 20 whites and 20 reds by the glass under this threshold.

Am I missing something? Are all these wines not available under UBP?

Can you post a link to the NCL wine list price (by the glass) from their website? I didn't know such a thing existed.

Thanks!

It appears they may be listing wines available across all ships, but not all those wines are available by the glass on every ship.

I think I found a list like what you are referring to from NCL

bddd227c18b656ef1535507158ec12f5.jpg

The image quality isn't as good but I found an image online of their wine menu on the ship that resembles what I remember seeing on the jade recently

82bcba7ee69ab060110ea9f4befc40af.jpg

1588a6928cbe7b1f053f7686bcb8ec43.jpg

b8bf6dc6149d3ea2d9b1583293fc47eb.jpg

So yes, limited choices depending on how picky you are. I know that I like Riesling and miscato, not fussy about the brand though. If you are someone who is fussy about the brand, there aren't many choices in any one type.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, all of those wines are not available - at least on the Epic. There was only 1 pinot noir available by the glass last week. The pinot noir was the Estancia. There was just not the variety of wines by the glass listed at the above link. Quite a bit of the wines on that list were simply not on any bar menu that I saw.

We had the UBP on the Epic a year ago - the wine list means nothing. We could order our wine preference but usually it was not in stock, so the bar tender would substitute another wine - and most of the time we didn't care for it. My husband also was unable to get a certain beer he likes, even though it was on the list. Since we mainly drink wine, I would not get the UBP again, not worth it to us!

The fleetwide wine list is out of date. There are now fewer than 20 choices total for wines by the glass. Maybe more if your ship has a Cellars Wine Bar, otherwise that's it.

Sorry to hear that. My wife was looking forward to trying a lot of "new to her" wines.

This is interesting .... haven't sailed on Norwegian in years but booked one with the beverage package included in the price.

Are pax not able to get a glass of wine on the list if it doesn't show a per glass price?? (bottle prices only listed)

I would probably still take the cruise as I like the itinerary. But, would like to pair some of the nicer wines listed with my meals. Would this require me to buy the bottle even though I have the beverage package??

This is interesting .... haven't sailed on Norwegian in years but booked one with the beverage package included in the price.

Are pax not able to get a glass of wine on the list if it doesn't show a per glass price?? (bottle prices only listed)

I would probably still take the cruise as I like the itinerary. But, would like to pair some of the nicer wines listed with my meals. Would this require me to buy the bottle even though I have the beverage package??

Only glasses of wine from glasses on the menu list on the package. But, I think, a % off bottles.

Yes, that's what it means. If you really want a wine that's only available by the bottle, they will give you a 20% discount on it because you have the UBP. But most people stick with the free choices (whether it's wine or something else).

Do the -AWAY class ships have a wine (tasting) bar to try a small sample of

something that looks appealing - then with or without UBP ask for that.

Obviously if they have it at a wine tasting bar it is available (most?) everywhere

else on the ship.

And then there is the troublesome "BYOB" with corkage fee !

If you find wine on the ship list that you like compare the onshore price plus the $15 corkage with the ship price; I'm sure you will be better off.

Merely noting that the BYOB is great and can be a good value HOWEVER -

lugging a bottle(s) around the port - at check in - through security - pay the

fee - up the gangway - to your stateroom and the bestest part is if the bottle is not gift wrapped -

I find it gauche to trek it in hand to the restaurant -

"Hey Look Everybody I brought My Own" -

maybe I am too good (read cheap) to drink the house wine

which can't be all that bad until tried and tasted !

But do what you may drink and taste your own or the ships wine to your satisfaction.

At least you can drink it like Frank - No ! Not that FRD Frank but Frank Sinatra

"Doing it My Way" !