Ruby: Club Class + Don't Panic

Dunk

Just back from a Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Ruby. We had a Vista Suite, so we were included in Club Class Dining.

So...Don't panic because:

*There was a complimentary Pub Lunch on one of the sea days.

*There was American cocktail sauce on the Always Available shrimp cocktail.

*Fettucine Alfredo was available every day.

*There were name plates on the doors.

*Everybody had a blue bag.

*There were no Curtis Stone items on the dining room menus.

As far as Club Class:

I would guess that the CC area was about 1/8th of the Da Vinci Dining Room. We eat late, and I would say that about 60% of the tables were occupied. There were 16 2-tops.

The "enhanced décor" was a cheap looking white curtain at the doors, and a very nice marquee. The tables had nice quality grey linens, and the napkins were CC branded. The flower was an orchid instead of the cheaper flowers in the rest of the dining room. There was no screen or rope to delineate the CC area from the rest of the dining room; in fact, the "line" was blurred, with one area where there was an ATD table kind of in between two CC tables.

The wait staff all wore the same uniform, different from the staff in ATD. They wore these on Italian Night and Landfall dinner as well, instead of the themed uniforms.

The menus had a different cover, but were the same as the regular dining room menu inside. The "tableside" preparation was really not tableside. It was done in a stationary area near the center of the section. For the most part, things were really not "prepared" there either--it was a sauce added to something brought from the galley. For example, when it was lobster night in the ATD section, in Club Class they offered Lobster Thermador--just a variation on what the rest of the folks were eating next door. Another night they offered an amuse-bouche.

For the most part, I would say that for me, Club Class would definitely not be worth the extra expense, especially if you are Elite and get many of the other benefits anyway. Since we eat late (around 815) it's never been a problem to get a two-top in ATD, so the "no wait" thing was no big deal. The service was nice, and probably there was more attention given to us from the head waiter than usual, but again, that's not worth the price difference.

IMG_1084.jpg.18cf6f032d9f94417870e7a41d2df57a.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg.c6ad63c879fd5fbb3913cd0285b67613.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg.fa2925cb27754378187dda0084cdc831.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg.7b530654286f3a84ea59b1d8b2cc56a3.jpg

The "enhanced décor" was a cheap looking white curtain at the doors, and a very nice marquee. The tables had nice quality grey linens, and the napkins were CC branded. The flower was an orchid instead of the cheaper flowers in the rest of the dining room. There was no screen or rope to delineate the CC area from the rest of the dining room; in fact, the "line" was blurred, with one area where there was an ATD table kind of in between two CC tables.

For the most part, I would say that for me, Club Class would definitely not be worth the extra expense, especially if you are Elite and get many of the other benefits anyway.

Yeah, but there was an ORCHID. That's gotta be worth the extra cost. ;)

Looking at your picture of the dining area, it looks like there is a greater distance between tables than in the main dining area.

Is it a trick of the picture or were the tables spaced further apart?

"For the most part, I would say that for me, Club Class would definitely not be worth the extra expense, especially if you are Elite and get many of the other benefits anyway. Since we eat late (around 815) it's never been a problem to get a two-top in ATD, so the "no wait" thing was no big deal. The service was nice, and probably there was more attention given to us from the head waiter than usual, but again, that's not worth the price difference."

You were in a Vista suite, so you didn't really pay extra for the Club Class! Correct me if I am wrong.

We only cruise when the itinerary warrants a cruise versus land to see the sights, so being able to move to the front of the line without having to cruise a multitude of times warrants the up charge, just like booking Business/First Class on an airline.

Each to thier own.

Happy Cruising

Looking at your picture of the dining area, it looks like there is a greater distance between tables than in the main dining area.

Is it a trick of the picture or were the tables spaced further apart?

The tables were about the same distance apart, although they did move some around here and there.

"For the most part, I would say that for me, Club Class would definitely not be worth the extra expense, especially if you are Elite and get many of the other benefits anyway. Since we eat late (around 815) it's never been a problem to get a two-top in ATD, so the "no wait" thing was no big deal. The service was nice, and probably there was more attention given to us from the head waiter than usual, but again, that's not worth the price difference."

You were in a Vista suite, so you didn't really pay extra for the Club Class! Correct me if I am wrong.

We only cruise when the itinerary warrants a cruise versus land to see the sights, so being able to move to the front of the line without having to cruise a multitude of times warrants the up charge, just like booking Business/First Class on an airline.

Each to thier own.

Happy Cruising

Correct, we didn't pay extra. I was referring to the price difference between a regular mini suite and a Club Class Mini.

I was cruising on the Ruby Princess from January 17 to January 28. One day As I was exiting the dining room I walked into the Special Dining Area seeing an exit and really did not realize it was the Special Dining area I was immediately approached by staff and told "madam you cannot exit thru this area". Of course I immediately exited but felt like I had been reprimanded for walking into this area. There is no ropes or gates from the inside of the dinning room into the special area so I am sure others have done the same. Waiters must enter into the special dining area from the kitchen thru the regular opening. The orchids on the table were pretty but I do enjoy the Astamarias on the regular dining room tables.

Just back from a Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Ruby. We had a Vista Suite, so we were included in Club Class Dining.

So...Don't panic because:

*There was a complimentary Pub Lunch on one of the sea days.

*There was American cocktail sauce on the Always Available shrimp cocktail.

*Fettucine Alfredo was available every day.

*There were name plates on the doors.

*Everybody had a blue bag.

*There were no Curtis Stone items on the dining room menus.

As far as Club Class:

I would guess that the CC area was about 1/8th of the Da Vinci Dining Room. We eat late, and I would say that about 60% of the tables were occupied. There were 16 2-tops.

The wait staff all wore the same uniform, different from the staff in ATD. They wore these on Italian Night and Landfall dinner as well, instead of the themed uniforms.

The menus had a different cover, but were the same as the regular dining room menu inside. The "tableside" preparation was really not tableside. It was done in a stationary area near the center of the section. For the most part, things were really not "prepared" there either--it was a sauce added to something brought from the galley. For example, when it was lobster night in the ATD section, in Club Class they offered Lobster Thermador--just a variation on what the rest of the folks were eating next door. Another night they offered an amuse-bouche.

For the most part, I would say that for me, Club Class would definitely not be worth the extra expense, especially if you are Elite and get many of the other benefits anyway. Since we eat late (around 815) it's never been a problem to get a two-top in ATD, so the "no wait" thing was no big deal. The service was nice, and probably there was more attention given to us from the head waiter than usual, but again, that's not worth the price difference.

I'll be on the Ruby in May, and I'm glad to see all the things I don't need to panic over. :D

As you describe it, Club Class sounds way underwhelming.