This is sure bad news....

HollDoll

Just saw this article on UK DailyMail....yikes! Cruise ship air pollution worse than major cities!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182456/Cruise-ship-air-SIXTY-times-filthier-sea-breeze.html

Just more irresponsible and inaccurate journalism from someone who needs a paycheck from an organization that wants to sell advertising.

The larger cruise lines have installed "scrubbers" to clean the exhausts emitted, and many use shoreside plugin power supplies so that the onboard engines are shut off when in port.

Certain mixes of fuel also help reduce pollution.

At least one new ship to be delivered will use compressed natural gas or similar.

It seems that the writer of this article has skipped over all of the above innovations implemented in recent years.

Just as older cars foul the air, so do older ships without upgrades.

David

Since there is no mention of how the "control" sample of "fresh sea breeze" was taken or where, the data becomes virtually worthless.

Since this "research" was done on one cruise ship, one time, it appears to me like the "researchers" were looking for one particular weather condition, where the wind was from astern, and the humidity was high, so that the particulate matter would more readily drop to deck level.

One needs only look at the diesel trucks and buses in the US to see the amount of particulate matter that these exhaust whenever they start up from a traffic light and the turbocharger is not up to speed. Ship's diesels run at more consistently high loads (like a truck on the highway), so they produce more complete combustion.

And the mail continues its high standards of journalism by declaring that passengers should not stay on deck "two long".

That is a poorly written article. No mention of being upwind versus downwind of the smokestacks. No mention of being on the top deck versus the lower promenade deck. It makes me wonder if the author has ever been on a cruise ship.

igraf

Just saw this article on UK DailyMail....yikes! Cruise ship air pollution worse than major cities!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182456/Cruise-ship-air-SIXTY-times-filthier-sea-breeze.html

Since there is no mention of how the "control" sample of "fresh sea breeze" was taken or where, the data becomes virtually worthless.

Since this "research" was done on one cruise ship, one time, it appears to me like the "researchers" were looking for one particular weather condition, where the wind was from astern, and the humidity was high, so that the particulate matter would more readily drop to deck level.

One needs only look at the diesel trucks and buses in the US to see the amount of particulate matter that these exhaust whenever they start up from a traffic light and the turbocharger is not up to speed. Ship's diesels run at more consistently high loads (like a truck on the highway), so they produce more complete combustion.

And the mail continues its high standards of journalism by declaring that passengers should not stay on deck "two long".

Spot on, chengkp75!!! As usual, you have hit the nail squarely on the head - thanks for your insights.

Smooth sailing ...

Better not visit Manhattan, Los Angeles, London, Paris, Rome or any other city or entire country in some cases and don't forget the dazzling kaleidoscopic swirls on your windshield when you happen to park a little too long in an area near a busy airport.

bosco

For those of us who have cruised for many years, we can easily see one big difference in "pollution" over the years. On my first cruise after spending a few hours on the back deck I took a shower - and wow! The shower water and suds coming off my head were BLACK, really back until well rinsed. It scared me until I asked dinner mates about it (I was quite young) and they told me the issue. My bathing suit and any other clothes I wore on the back deck were all tossed when I got home - the "dirty looking" tinge never washed out of them. Back then the decks were washed every day and the "soot" was very evident as the day wore on.

Bus passengers are exposed to pollution levels more than 324x the fresh air levels in the article. Clearly mass transit kills. Ever wonder why they use "fresh air" instead of air in the London Underground? I've commuted to and from Angel Station. It's an alpine meadow compared to a cruise ship. ;)

don't plan your winter land vacation to Ski in Utah unless you stay up in Park City - Salt Lake City was just named the worst air quality in the US. The winter inversions are just awful. It is so depressing to be up in Park City or the Cottonwood Canyons and drive down to SLC - it is just like it used to be when driving from Palm Springs back through San Bernadino on the way to LA back in the 70s and 80s.

I have actually read this about the huge container ships - guess if you look long & hard enough you can find whatever you want to hear......

I have actually read this about the huge container ships - guess if you look long & hard enough you can find whatever you want to hear......

Diesel electric propulsion like cruise ship use is more efficient at most loads, short of full speed at sea, than the slow speed diesels on cargo ships, but all ships whether container, tanker, bulker, or cruise, when inside and ECA (environmental control area), must meet the exact same emissions standards. So, in the US, North Sea, or Baltic ECA's or while in an EU port, all ships will either use diesel fuel or a scrubber.