Traveling with a birth certificate and name differs from it.

cloudninecat

Is it me???? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....IN THIS DAY AND AGE...WHY....WHY....WHY WOULD ONE NOT GET A PASSPORT, HAVE IT UP TO DATE (WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF TRAVELLING TIME)....HAVE THE CORRECT, PERTINENT INFORMATION, CORRECT CURRENT NAME ETC. CORRECT SPELLING....WOW ,,,BOGGLES MY MIND TO NO END....AND TO ACTUALLY BE ASKING AND TRYING TO FIGURE IT ALL OUT...WITHIN DAYS OF TRAVELLING...WOW! 'YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW'

try to calm down.

She will be fine. They are matching BIRTH DATES....not names. No married woman's name matches her BC!

Really -- I am married and my last name matches my birth certificate.

Cruise Critic can be so entertaining at times -- so many authoritative statements that just are so wrong.

Waste of time and effort. Cruise Critic members are not the authority on traveling Carnival. Just read the requirements on Carnival and don't "read" into their explanations. A bc and a current ID matching the name on the reservation is all that is required. If you find anything else I would be surprised.

At the risk of getting political: CBP agents are currently being hit with all manner of Executive Orders, Injunctions and Stays. This is probably not a good time to go to Customs with insufficient documentation. If there is ANY question, I'd say to err on the side of bringing too much documentation.

Really -- I am married and my last name matches my birth certificate.

Cruise Critic can be so entertaining at times -- so many authoritative statements that just are so wrong.

Heck, some married mens' last names don't match their birth certificates (for instance, former White Stripes frontman Jack White nee Gillis).

Heck, some married mens' last names don't match their birth certificates (for instance, former White Stripes frontman Jack White nee Gillis).

All the more reason to get a passport.

Once you establish your identity for a passport, then there is no need to worry about having multiple documents for travel. As long as you don't allow your passport to expire, there's no need to keep showing the documents.

We got passports back in 2008 for a cruise to the Caribbean from Miami for all of us...me, husband and our two kids. Our daughter was 17 and our son 14 (his was only valid for 5 years). Our son's was renewed at age 19 so now its a 10-year and our daughter's will need renewal next year.

I told them both...DON'T let it expire. Spend the coin to renew it; consider it a normal expense of life. It makes your travel life so much easier no matter where you want to go.

Is it me???? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....IN THIS DAY AND AGE...WHY....WHY....WHY WOULD ONE NOT GET A PASSPORT, HAVE IT UP TO DATE (WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF TRAVELLING TIME)....HAVE THE CORRECT, PERTINENT INFORMATION, CORRECT CURRENT NAME ETC. CORRECT SPELLING....WOW ,,,BOGGLES MY MIND TO NO END....AND TO ACTUALLY BE ASKING AND TRYING TO FIGURE IT ALL OUT...WITHIN DAYS OF TRAVELLING...WOW! 'YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW'

Thanks for your insightful contribution to this thread. It was REALLY helpful...:rolleyes: NOT!!

My wife was asked for the marriage certificate on one of our first cruises. We forgot it once and were fearful that they would ask for it but didn't that time, but very well could have.:eek: She's had a passport ever since...;)

Actually I have a passport. It's my friend that doesn't and for your info she's one step away from being homeless. I surprised her with a cruise after we took our first one last month because I knew she'd never be able to do one any other way. It's a once in a lifetime thing for her. We only had a few weeks to plan and since she's never likely to travel again I didn't see the need to fork out for a passport for her. It's my bad that I didn't think about the name difference until now. Since I'm not an experienced traveler it didn't occur to me until now. But thank you for your support. :rolleyes:

Edited by cloudninecat

I have a valid passport in maiden name and booked cruise under maiden name, So of course my BC matches but my DL doesn't , will I be OK . or with passport will that be only ID I need to show,

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Passport trumps all! You are fine and no need to use your DL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well she got the marriage license from the court house so we're all set. Yea! :)

Well that was easy enough. She needs to keep that thing (not burn it) because she will no doubt need it in the future because of the name change from her birth certificate.

Safe travels!

Anyone think to ask which name is different?

Is it her first or last name that is different?

If it is last name all you will is marriage license, government issued ID (drivers license) and birth certificate. Its not a surprise to them if a females last name changes due to marriage, divorce or divorce and she keeps the last name. Most woman's do.

IF IT IS FIRST NAME READ THIS!!!!

Last April my wife and I took a cruise out of Miami on Splendor. My wife had her first name changed many years ago during a divorce and had the judge put it in the divorce decree that by order of Adams county judge "xxxx", "xxxxx" shall now be known as "xxxxx". Now her birth certificate and drivers license are 2 different first names,. (and last name because marrying me) We called Carnival and requested to speak to someone who knows about this documentation stuff and what all do we need to bring to prove US citizen ship. She said the only documentation that will get you on the ship when you have a first name change is a US Passport. If we show up with government ID, birth certificate AND marriage license with 2 different names she would be turned away. The lady at Carnival said just get a US Passport and bring your drivers license and that's all you need, no problem.

So we gathered up her birth certificate, copy of her license, marriage license and the divorce decree showing the documented first name change by a county judge and sent in the application for her passport. Also we paid for the expedited processing too. encase they come back and need more documentation or need her to fill out forms because of the name change we would still have time before our cruise. Literally in a week and a half she had her pass port in her hands. I did not pay expedited for mine and mine came 1 week later. Arrived at port of Miami, she showed drivers license and passport and onto the ship we went.

Basically, GET A PASSPORT and pay the expedited fee for a fast turn around if your cruise is within a couple months. US passport trumps all and gets rid of all the "did I bring the correct identification papers?"

Anyone think to ask which name is different?

Is it her first or last name that is different?

It's the last name. She is actually divorced but she kept the last name from her prior marriage. Not often that someone changes their first name. That would present a dilemma.

Well that was easy enough. She needs to keep that thing (not burn it) because she will no doubt need it in the future because of the name change from her birth certificate.

Safe travels!

Thanks. I can't wait. She's so excited she's asking if we can leave for the port a day early. LOL It feels good to do this for her.

It's the last name. She is actually divorced but she kept the last name from her prior marriage. Not often that someone changes their first name. That would present a dilemma.

And now she has the marriage license so you guys are good to go.

Interesting!

In all of our cruises I've never once been asked for a marriage license let alone even thought about bringing it, and my name on my birth cert does not match my ID. In fact, it's quite different, since I've always gone by my middle name so when I got married I dropped my given first name and made my maiden name my middle name.

Looks like I'll be adding my marriage cert to the document file from now on though, just in case!

I have been on ten cruises (most recent one in Sept of 2016) and have never been asked for documentation of name change from my first marriage. (The last name on my birth certificate and last name on drivers license are different). When you get married and you present your marriage license to the DMV to get your name changed it is considered a bridging document.

I have travelled out of Miami, Port Canaveral, Jacksonville and Charleston and have never been asked for a marriage license to prove the name change. In 2012, someone made me a little worried about it so I started bringing my divorce decree because I have no idea where that marriage license from 1991 would be. LOL. I have even called the port to find out what their procedure is and they have an expectation that the name will be different with regard to marriage.

With all that said...my husband just said that I am getting a passport going forward to avoid all of the worry. But of course, that is a different story for a different day. :)

No married woman's name matches her BC!

Just saying this is not true - normally that is not the case but my daughter's BF was a Norris and had they got married she would have the same name

NOW IN REGARDS TO THE QUESTION

Prior to getting a passport I brought my marriage certificate with me - Now sometimes they would just take my photo id and birth certificate other times they asked why my name was different and I had to provide proof of my marriage - So it's gonna vary on whom is checking you out and I would advise either get a passport or head over toe the courthouse and get it done