Traveling with a birth certificate and name differs from it.

cloudninecat

My girlfriend and I are going on a cruise in 10 days. She was planning on traveling with her birth certificate since she doesn't have a passport. However, her name on her birth certificate won't be the same as that on her driver's license. Will she be able to get on the ship? She doesn't have a copy of her marriage certificate and I'm not sure if we can get it before we leave.

My girlfriend and I are going on a cruise in 10 days. She was planning on traveling with her birth certificate since she doesn't have a passport. However, her name on her birth certificate won't be the same as that on her driver's license. Will she be able to get on the ship? She doesn't have a copy of her marriage certificate and I'm not sure if we can get it before we leave.

You are asking for a lot of problems.

There is no requirement for a marriage certificate, regardless of what is said above. Do they like to see it? Sometimes, yes. Is it better to bring it? Yes, if you have it or can get it. Will it keep you off the ship? Probably not, since there is no requirement for it how can they deny boarding? Before we got our EDLs we brought our marriage certificate and only once were we asked if we had it but weren't required to produce it (and it was on CCL and the check-in rep said "your answer won't have any impact on this process but do you have a copy of your marriage certificate").

Hopefully you'll be able to get a copy to ease your mind.

Actually, there is a requirement to have documentation bridging a name change:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/kw/travel%20documentation/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4NjIxMDEwNC9zaWQvZlUzUThZaGtPQ1Q1elp2VWhaOE16JTdFak1vZGwlN0VISXFDZEpnNWNpVDdQb19sZ3hCM1JaUGowTGo2Z25ZZ3owYnU1UGVtTnlzT3ljX2JMRUtfRFglN0VyZ0ZEUmpSJTdFekQyU2U5ZUhTcnFna0VXRV9yQkNub29fU2ZibUElMjElMjE%3D9

If you are asked to produce it is completely different. I for one wouldn't ignore the requirement nor would I advise others to either.

While Sparks is correct that there is no requirement for a marriage license in order to board the ship, the CBP does recommend that a "bridging" document be provided for any name change, for use by the CBP agent upon disembarkation. It will depend on how computerized your local records department is as to whether CBP has been able to track the name change during the cruise when they screen the passengers based on the data provided at boarding. If they cannot verify the name change, it may cause a delay at disembarkation while the person explains the name change, and CBP attempts to verify.

Will not having the marriage license prevent the passenger from re-entering the US, most likely not, but it can cause delays.

Actually, there is a requirement to have documentation bridging a name change:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/kw/travel%20documentation/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4NjIxMDEwNC9zaWQvZlUzUThZaGtPQ1Q1elp2VWhaOE16JTdFak1vZGwlN0VISXFDZEpnNWNpVDdQb19sZ3hCM1JaUGowTGo2Z25ZZ3owYnU1UGVtTnlzT3ljX2JMRUtfRFglN0VyZ0ZEUmpSJTdFekQyU2U5ZUhTcnFna0VXRV9yQkNub29fU2ZibUElMjElMjE%3D9

If you are asked to produce it is completely different. I for one wouldn't ignore the requirement nor would I advise others to either.

That's the first I've seen that and I stand corrected.

Reading the Carnival "rules" it says NOTHING about the name on a "required" photo ID matching a birth certificate...only that the photo ID matches the name under which the cruise was booked.

So...to the OP: If your companions driver's license or state ID card matches the booking info and your companion has a valid birth certificate that is ALL that is required, regardless whether the birth certificates matches the driver's license.

People need to understand what they read on Carnival's website and not publish erroneous information.

The only time a marriage certificate is needed is when the booking and the photo ID don't match...as is often the case for women traveling on their honeymoon who book in their new "married" name.

Regardless of Carnival's policy, here is the CBP answer to name changes and documents produced under former names:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/~/us-citizens%2Flawful-permanent-residents-name-does-not-match-documents

"Can I travel if my name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc., and my documents are in my old name?

US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change."

As stated, whether the CBP agent asks for this "bridging" document or not is up to them, but it can cause delays if asked for and not available. In the above quote, the Birth Certificate and Drivers License are "WHTI approved documents" and the Birth Certificate would be in a prior name.

Reading the Carnival "rules" it says NOTHING about the name on a "required" photo ID matching a birth certificate...only that the photo ID matches the name under which the cruise was booked.

So...to the OP: If your companions driver's license or state ID card matches the booking info and your companion has a valid birth certificate that is ALL that is required, regardless whether the birth certificates matches the driver's license.

People need to understand what they read on Carnival's website and not publish erroneous information.

The only time a marriage certificate is needed is when the booking and the photo ID don't match...as is often the case for women traveling on their honeymoon who book in their new "married" name.

Actually, what people REALLY need to understand is that its not Carnival that gets to decide who leaves and returns to the country, its Customs and Border protection. Just because Carnival doesn't 'require' it doesn't mean its not necessary or strongly suggested.

Anyone in this day and age (especially in light of the news on immigration) should be aware that proving beyond a doubt what their name is and that they belong in this country should have all the documentation necessary to show it.

Also, if you have trip insurance, I'm not aware of a single policy that will cover your losses if you are denied boarding because you don't have the right identification documents. A traveler cannot say "but the cruise line didn't require it!" and expect to get reimbursed.

Right. People need to understand the difference between carnival policy and customs; and use a little common sense. Customs is run by the US government and not carnival. Carnival would also prefer not to take you out of the country if there's a chance you won't be allowed back in so they may or may not hold strict interpretations of government policies; depending on the person.

Common sense says that if you are allowed to be in a situation that usually requires a passport (leaving the country and attempting re-entry), but that is waived because you can bring a government photo id to show this picture (you) is Michael smith AND a birth certificate that shows Michael smith was born in the US and is therefore a US citizen. You are asking for trouble if you want to get through with a drivers license showing that you are Michael Jones and a birth certificate showing that Michael smith is a US citizen. How does Michael smith bring a US citizen help out Michael Jones unless you have a bridging document showing that Michael smith changed his name to Michael Jones?

Could it be ok, possibly depending on who is working. Could it result in being denied boarding or a delay at re-entry at customs possibly causing you to miss you flight home? Very possibly. Carnival policy really doesn't matter here, custom's policy is what matters.

You have 10 days. She needs to go in person ASAP to whichever government agency holds copies if these and get a certified copy issued.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My current "legal name" is 4 times removed from my birth certificate because of various marriages, divorces, etc. There is no way I would have all the legal documentation chasing down the name change from now to then.

When traveling on a cruise the destination is the cruise ship if the ports are Mexican or caribbean or canadian and your embarkation port is US or a US territory. If you got on you can get off at the final US destination as long as you use the same travel documents at both ends and your photo ID matches up to you.

People are confusing customs post ship with customs after you have traveled to a foreign destination where a passport is required and a birth certificate, ID and all the marriage licenses in the world wouldn't get you there much less back.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

My current "legal name" is 4 times removed from my birth certificate because of various marriages, divorces, etc. There is no way I would have all the legal documentation chasing down the name change from now to then.

When traveling on a cruise the destination is the cruise ship if the ports are Mexican or caribbean or canadian and your embarkation port is US or a US territory. If you got on you can get off at the final US destination as long as you use the same travel documents at both ends and your photo ID matches up to you.

People are confusing customs post ship with customs after you have traveled to a foreign destination where a passport is required and a birth certificate, ID and all the marriage licenses in the world wouldn't get you there much less back.

Do you have a passport? If you don't, you could very well find yourself in the position of needing to get your hands on all those documents to prove your legal name.

The documents exist. You just have to get them.

I remember needing to get my first digital driver's license in NJ, and needing to present my birth certificate and marriage certificate to prove my last name. I had been married 25 years, and the certificate I had was NOT the legal document. It was the license we obtained from the state and signed the day of the ceremony, but apparently that was not the official document. I went to the Bureau of Vital Statistics in the state I was married and they produced it...25 years after the fact.

We'll it seems like no one agrees on the answer. We're just going to try and get a copy and play it safe.

Waste of time and effort. Cruise Critic members are not the authority on traveling Carnival. Just read the requirements on Carnival and don't "read" into their explanations. A bc and a current ID matching the name on the reservation is all that is required. If you find anything else I would be surprised.

Is it me???? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....IN THIS DAY AND AGE...WHY....WHY....WHY WOULD ONE NOT GET A PASSPORT, HAVE IT UP TO DATE (WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF TRAVELLING TIME)....HAVE THE CORRECT, PERTINENT INFORMATION, CORRECT CURRENT NAME ETC. CORRECT SPELLING....WOW ,,,BOGGLES MY MIND TO NO END....AND TO ACTUALLY BE ASKING AND TRYING TO FIGURE IT ALL OUT...WITHIN DAYS OF TRAVELLING...WOW! 'YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW'

Were I in the OP's shoes, I'd be contacting the local authorities and asking for an expedited passport. They may say No, but if they say Yes, all your worries are solved.

I really don't think there's any way to get a passport in less than 10 days. Per the website, the only way to get one sooner than 2 weeks is if you have a life or death emergency.

I hope that all those people who are so insistent that the document is not required, although Carnival and the US Government say it is, will step up to the plate and reimburse the person if she is denied boarding due to failure to provide proper documentation.

We have passports and now that they are using that passport scanning machine to upload photos, the people in Galveston working the machine are very vigilant. I had to remove my glasses so she could look at my face to make sure I was it was me. DH was looking down putting his watch in the carryon and she waited so she could see his face when he looked up. The lady in November told us that she gets fined if anyone gets on the ship using a passport that is not theirs. They also had training in spotting fake passports. DH thought she was kidding and asked the man who scanned our passports on Jan 22 and he confirmed that any of the agents who pass someone through is responsible for ensuring that is the person on the passport. He confirmed that they will be fined if they let someone through. He said one co-worker was fined and also fired. I think they are taking this stuff a whole lot more seriously these days. My sense is that the cruise line gets the fine and passes it down to whomever made the mistake.

I had to get a marriage certificate quickly for Social Security in order to get a replacement card. I was married in PA, but I live in Texas. I used the expedited service from Vital Chek and had it within days. Yes, it cost a bundle, but I got it within 5 days.

My point of view is that if she walks into the county office of whatever that filed those on Monday and they say 'nope, can't get it in 7 days', then go on your trip and it will most likely be fine. But I would think that she can probably get the copy the same day; then that's one less thing to worry about. What I've heard is that the people who check you in at the port are port employees, not carnival, so they probably couldn't care less about what carnival's website says. Whether it should be an issue or not, mistakes have happened before. There's a long running thread on another board about how a guy from U.K. Was denied boarding over the fact that an old visa was still listed in his passport. The issue had no relevance and there would have been no way to fix it; he had everything in order to take that cruise. But they denied him boarding anyway. I just can't see a reason to take the chance and give them a possible issue if it's easily avoidable. Just because it wasn't an issue for 100 people on here doesn't mean it won't be one for you.