Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

Hi - we have been on several disney cruises in the last few years and my husband and my two boys have always worn nice kaki short to dinner every night (and never felt awkward or out of place). We are traveling on the Liberty in March - - how acceptable is it for them to wear shorts to dinner (MTD)? Thx!

No problems at all, been wearing casual dress shorts for years never questioned. I do however avoid the formal night out of respect for those who want to get dressed and instead head to coastal kitchen were I dine and dont get questioned either

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What bother's me (and not a lot does) are "hat's" of any kind on men worn at the table regardless if it's a formal or casual morning, afternoon or night.:eek:

Tell em about it - they're risking getting the brims of their hats wet when they slurp their soup from the bowl!

While I said earlier how we like to dress for dinner, we will not let those wearing nice shorts and blouse/shirt bother us. As long as people coming in for dinner are nicely dressed that is all that matters. I probably could tell my husband to leave his suits home next July out of Galveston and go with his nice pants and shirt and he would be fine.

No problems at all, been wearing casual dress shorts for years never questioned. I do however avoid the formal night out of respect for those who want to get dressed and instead head to coastal kitchen were I dine and dont get questioned either

Coastal Kitchen...That's where a poster said the pics (above) may have been taken of those in shorts. Sounds like there was no problem with shorts there...thanks for your info.

I just had a response back from RC re "what is your documented specification of when a short become trousers and vice versa" "how long can shorts be before transitioning to short trousers, and how short can trousers be before becoming a short"

RC confirmed their is no specification

I would suggest that if questioned you state they are short trousers

I can still never understand why other people get bothered by what someone wears. It's none of your business.

I won't wear shorts in the MDR simply because I'd feel weird, but I've no problem with people who do. I also wear a suit everyday for work, so don't fancy wearing one every night while on holiday.

I've also seen people in shorts who look much smarter and better presented than someone wearing an ill fitted suit or clothes from another era.

If you don't want to wear shorts, don't. If you don't want to suit up or go fancy, then don't.

If some stranger wears an outfit that bothers you, then deal with it and get some perspective.

I can still never understand why other people get bothered by what someone wears. It's none of your business.

I won't wear shorts in the MDR simply because I'd feel weird, but I've no problem with people who do. I also wear a suit everyday for work, so don't fancy wearing one every night while on holiday.

I've also seen people in shorts who look much smarter and better presented than someone wearing an ill fitted suit or clothes from another era.

If you don't want to wear shorts, don't. If you don't want to suit up or go fancy, then don't.

If some stranger wears an outfit that bothers you, then deal with it and get some perspective.

I am same way. I try to abide by the suggestions, requests, asked, and prohibited items unless it deals with boarding by deck number. [emoji848]

Wow- what a discussion--- about nothing! It is so easy for a man to just wear long pants for dinner in a nice restaurant. It so easy to just follow some rules, and have nothing to worry about. It is so easy, if you feel like being extra casual to just eat dinner at Windjammer or get room service.

I am same way. I try to abide by the suggestions, requests, asked, and prohibited items unless it deals with boarding by deck number. [emoji848]

And like was noted previously, their are few who love to look up shorts to talk about later. Lol

I don't understand people who get all hot and bothered about what other people get all hot and bothered about.

Many may disagree, but you have the perfect opportunity to expose your young gentlemen to eating in finer restaurants and the appropriate attire and what fork to use.

Some day they will go to a wedding, a job interview etc and know what to expect.

Yes, you will see shorts, we have also seen people turned away for wearing them. You can probably get away with it, but why throw away a golden opportunity?

Have a nice cruise.

Amen.

I don't understand people who get all hot and bothered about what other people get all hot and bothered about.

I'm not hot an bothered, I think it's hilarious. You're on holiday, don't worry about what other people are wearing.

When I'm on a cruise I love seeing people happy, smiling and enjoying their holiday. I couldn't care less what they are wearing, as long as they are comfortable and happy, that could be shorts or a tuxedo.

Dress codes dress codes. It more or less depends on the enforcer.

Not the MDR, but a more strict dress code applies to the SL on Allure on Formal Nights.

It names dress that is prohibited.

d257a4f73ed0563bca3fdc306b1cead8.jpg

But you see all kinds of wear prohibited. Pictures from Formal Night in SL.

Lady in her pajamas.

af00b1c870eedaf848d7e370585ae08d.jpg

Other prohibited wear on Formal Nights

001f6f66ed4dfcc6b6133e4f7f2ce795.jpg

07ec4a095d64b9f5bdf26beb592807d5.jpg

dade029adcd7168353fda2117d59e289.jpg

What a waste of vacation to spend time taking pictures of people's dress.

Like others have previously said. If it is written that you should be wearing smart causal/formal wear in the dining rooms then really you should be trying to wear appropriate clothing. Just plan while you pack your bag.

I personally don't mind what people wear, if they are happy then I am happy. Though it's always nice to dress up and appreciate yourself every now and then among others.

Also, when you get to the point where you are taking photos of unsuspecting people minding their own business wearing everyday clothes for whatever reason then I think it's time to rethink why you're on a cruise ship to begin with. It just feels wrong to me

In the end, try to dress up and be aware that you may very well be turned away from the dining rooms if you wear shorts and t-shirts.

Just be happy and don't let others opinions negatively affect your cruise :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by FluffStuff

Here's my two cents (I haven't been on many cruises so take it for what's it worth)

I'm required to wear khakis and polo shirts every day to work. I work in the beverage industry and frequently get spilled on. My clothes are stained and very "well worn". But perfectly acceptable under the "rules" posted above.

On the other hand I have very nice looking golf shorts and polos that I can wear at the fanciest golf courses in my area and fit right in.

Personally I think RCCL is fine with the nice dress shorts and top, but realize its human nature for people to push the envelope. So if they say no shorts and people come in with dress shorts it's a good compromise.

If they said Dress shorts were allowed then people would come in cargo shorts/swim suites.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only cruise line that I've sailed on recently where almost everyone adhered to the dress code was Holland America. On every other (Royal, Princess, Carnival and MSC) there have been plenty of people wearing whatever they wanted. Heck, on our last cruise aboard MSC they allowed people in bathing suits to the MDR for dinner!

If the cruise lines aren't enforcing the dress code, then the hissy fit should be with the cruise line, not with the passengers . As good as it looks when everyone dresses formal on a formal night, I can't frown upon or point fingers at those who don't follow the dress code if the cruise lines allow it.

Edited by Tapi

We were on the Liberty in November and didn't see a lot of shorts in the MDR. There were a few but frankly, especially on formal nights, they kind of stuck out. My husband wears khakis in various shades with a nice collared shirt. He bought a linen sport jacket and wears that on the dressier nights. He hates ties so no ties.

Must resist, must resist, oh to heck with it, I just can't stand it.

It's about aesthetics. Why do they have nice artwork? Why do they have nice tablecloths and napkins? Why does the food have a nice presentation? Why do they paint the ship? Why do they decorate the lounges? Why the flowers? Why the trees? No one can explain why the human brain enjoys the way these things look, just as no one can explain why the human brain likes nice clothes, and makeup, and hairstyles. But yet it does, it really does.

Some thing look nice, and some don't. It's very jarring when clothes someone is wearing are out of sync with the rest of the environment. If you can't see that, I'm not sure whether to be jealous or sympathetic. Like the tone deaf person who isn't bothered by a slightly flat note, but yet just doesn't get the music in the same way. That's the best way I can explain it, but if you don't understand, you never will.

I realize this sound a but heavy, so let me conclude by saying it's not that big a deal. just as the slightly flat note doesn't ruin my evening or even concern me that much, nor does the casual dress. But one shouldn't try to understand it intellectually just as one should not try to understand why we like certain smells. We just do.