Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

What ever happened to polite good manners. Seems these folks are the same ones turning up at church as if dressed for a day at the (insert) park, beach, baseball game. There is a time for play clothes and a time to put on your "Big Boy" pants. And a time to teach your children by example.

I'll leave it to each of you as to which side of the aisle you are seated. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What ever happened to polite good manners. Seems these folks are the same ones turning up at church as if dressed for a day at the (insert) park, beach, baseball game. There is a time for play clothes and a time to put on your "Big Boy" pants. And a time to teach your children by example.

I'll leave it to each of you as to which side of the aisle you are seated. Have a great cruise!

Do you understand there is a difference between neat pressed / fitted shorts with a belt and a polo or button up shirt and gym shorts and t-shirt? Or are you one of the people who think it is all exactly the same? I see that argument here quite often. I don't see anyone here asking about going to the dining room for dinner in clothes they'd wear to a park or a beach, but they sure seem to get put down and judged as if they were. It's a head scratcher for sure.

Speaking for ourselves, we are casual 24/7 at home so for dinner on a cruise, we look forward to getting out of the shorts we have worn all day long and dressing up a little. We look at it as going out to a very nice restaurant. Now a Denny's or other very casual restaurant, especially during our desert summers, then shorts are mostly worn.

We, and I think most people who are still working, are the opposite. Dress codes and guidelines at work. Personally, in my job, some days I have to be in business clothes with a strict dress code and some days in a uniform. We really enjoy vacations where we can relax a bit and wear what we enjoy wearing and what's comfortable to us.

We while we intentionally follow the dress code because I don't want to be turned away, I truly cannot understand why how me and my bf dress bothers anyone. I may not appreciate someone in ill fitting or too short but dressy clothes. But I'm not going to let that affect me or my vacation.

Edited by sanger727

Do you understand there is a difference between neat pressed / fitted shorts with a belt and a polo or button up shirt and gym shorts and t-shirt? Or are you one of the people who think it is all exactly the same? I see that argument here quite often. I don't see anyone here asking about going to the dining room for dinner in clothes they'd wear to a park or a beach, but they sure seem to get put down and judged as if they were. It's a head scratcher for sure.

And do you understand that the rule "no shorts in the MDR at dinner" actually means NO shorts at dinner? Do you expect them to check each person and, well, your shorts are neatly pressed so go on in, but yours are wrinkled and don't fit well, so eat elsewhere? Seriously.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing shorts in the MDR at dinner and DH would be really happy if allowed to do so but I still feel the "it's my vacation so screw the rules, I'll do as I please" crowd to be rude and disrespectful.

Gotta wonder what's next... Shorts are just that, Shorts and perfectly acceptable in many places. The MDR of a cruise ship is "usually" not one of them. Though there are of certainly exceptions to anything... Tahiti is possibly an exception. But no, while I have never done more than Roll my eyes and look away at inappropriate attire I think that Good Manners and proper dress is beginning to be a thing of the past and I can only wonder where it will all end. Your Tommy Bahamas shorts and Polo are very appropriate in the Club house and on the golf course, in Hawaii and many warm tropical places.

What lessons are our (your) children are learning. There is a time and a place for everything.

Have a great cruise, but before you leave maybe you should reacquaint yourself with the Dress Code of the cruiseline you are sailing.

I packed khaki pants for my hubby on my recent NCL cruise, because it was our first time on NCL and didn't know what to expect. After wearing slacks most of the cruise to dinner, but noticing all the men in shorts, he wore khaki shorts on the last note, with no problem. But personally, I don't think it looks right in such a nice dinner environment. I will continue to pack him slacks! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Amen!! Everyone should worry about themselves and vacations should be relaxing and worry-free. If you're offended by someone wearing shorts then don't pay attention to them or leave.

Yea, your vacation! Guess you smoke on your balcony too!! Your vacation why not?? So tired of hearing, it's your vacation!! If you want to dress like a slob, go to the buffet!

Sorry for the rant, guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed!!

Well said!!!!!

Yet you go around photographing passengers who you feel aren't dressed in accordance with the rules and then go to the trouble of posting the photos here with demeaning comments.

But inquiring minds want to know.

I take it as examples of what Royal finds acceptable, contrary to the posted suggestions.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

If you see someone taking voyeuristic photos of others without their knowledge or consent just call security. Bit different, IMO, than catching people in the background / crowd shot because the intent is to capture someone specifically without them knowing. If someone has to hide what they are doing chances are they know it's wrong to do so.

Any idea what security would do?

Other than snicker?

Did they saw why? Captain didn't wear jacket and tie on formal nite's?

Don't know about the Captain. Not sure how Captain Ron would look in a Tux. He is a big guy.

Dress attire for crew and staff were changed at the request of Atlantis. They also offered 24 hour food and music as well. Although not a charter, pretty much an Atlantis Cruise.

Even on formal night? And this was an order from the Captain? Maybe he was just embarrassed that he outgrew his jacket. [emoji33]

We were told, no formal nights, on Allure Atlantis Cruise. I don't think it was a charter but may have turned out that way??

We were told, no formal nights, on Allure Atlantis Cruise. I don't think it was a charter but may have turned out that way??

I thought Atlantis was the week before yours.

Charters have their own rules.

Freedom used to do a couple 'lifestyle' cruises when she was here. More of an undress code. 😱

I'm an avid follower/subscriber of GQ and sometimes shoot professional fashion photography for my local city magazine. There is a difference between the guy in sweatpants because they're "pants", and the guy in a well fitted casual suit jacket, stylish pleated "shorts" and dress shoes in the MDR... as I mentioned, perhaps on a hot night in port. I wouldn't do that on formal night though, looks like you forgot your pants at home.

Must resist, must resist, oh to heck with it, I just can't stand it.

It's about aesthetics. Why do they have nice artwork? Why do they have nice tablecloths and napkins? Why does the food have a nice presentation? Why do they paint the ship? Why do they decorate the lounges? Why the flowers? Why the trees? No one can explain why the human brain enjoys the way these things look, just as no one can explain why the human brain likes nice clothes, and makeup, and hairstyles. But yet it does, it really does.

Some thing look nice, and some don't. It's very jarring when clothes someone is wearing are out of sync with the rest of the environment. If you can't see that, I'm not sure whether to be jealous or sympathetic. Like the tone deaf person who isn't bothered by a slightly flat note, but yet just doesn't get the music in the same way. That's the best way I can explain it, but if you don't understand, you never will.

I realize this sound a but heavy, so let me conclude by saying it's not that big a deal. just as the slightly flat note doesn't ruin my evening or even concern me that much, nor does the casual dress. But one shouldn't try to understand it intellectually just as one should not try to understand why we like certain smells. We just do.

Well said! I wonder what many of the "I don't care what other people wear and neither should you" crowd would say if waiters were allowed to and started wearing jeans and T-shirts.

Can I say that my DH would love to only wear shorts, stopped hauling his tux, wears a suit every day of the week plus Sunday.... and hates cruises because he is required to look like a gentleman each evening after about 5:30. But he does it because his wife loves to cruise. I gave up on the Tux long ago.

I haul in his behalf, khakis, gray slacks, 3 button down oxford dress shirts and a black or navy cashmere sports coats. Last time I threw in a red tie (he never wore it). The Tommy shorts and shirts are for parties on deck in tropical climates. I miss the days of gentlemen in the MDR all gussied up in a Tux and the ladies (every one of them) gussied up.

It was not long ago that the Maitre d or MDR manager stood guard at the door politely suggesting a return to your cabin to change your clothes. The entire evening was elegant and the ship sparkled.

Those were nice memories but AIRLINE travel today makes hauling all that impractical and my DH is very happy about it :)

Can I say that my DH would love to only wear shorts, stopped hauling his tux, wears a suit every day of the week plus Sunday.... and hates cruises because he is required to look like a gentleman each evening after about 5:30. But he does it because his wife loves to cruise. I gave up on the Tux long ago.

I haul in his behalf, khakis, gray slacks, 3 button down oxford dress shirts and a black or navy cashmere sports coats. Last time I threw in a red tie (he never wore it). The Tommy shorts and shirts are for parties on deck in tropical climates. I miss the days of gentlemen in the MDR all gussied up in a Tux and the ladies (every one of them) gussied up.

It was not long ago that the Maitre d or MDR manager stood guard at the door politely suggesting a return to your cabin to change your clothes. The entire evening was elegant and the ship sparkled.

Those were nice memories but AIRLINE travel today makes hauling all that impractical and my DH is very happy about it :)

JVilleGal---I'm with you! I remember the days cruising when the hubby and I really got dressed up, but it has become too much of a hassle to fly lugging all those clothes. I remember my first cruise, I had one suitcase filled with just different shoes!! Those days are gone, but I am actually relieved that I no longer have to pack all that. On my last cruise on NCL---my first experience with Freestyle Cruising---I packed several dressy casual dresses, some long. All were light weight and rolled well into my suitcase. And absolutely no suit or sport coat needed for the hubby. It felt wonderful!

My other memory (off topic sorry) is the "ladies room" on every deck. You see the cabins did not have electrical outlets and ladies had hair blowers, electric rollers and brand new curling irons. It was a big long room all mirrored with a long low counter and low chairs. You could easily sit with a dozen or so ladies (often in robes) styling their hair. I don't remember ironing boards in that dressing room just 2 walls of long mirrors and a long dressing table. Those days are long gone. This particular memory is from a an 80's cruise on Sitmar Cruise Line on a ship that I believe became the Dawn Princess. :)

Just got off Oasis today, lots of men wore shorts to dinner. There was nothing written in the Compass prohibiting shorts (or caps or tank tops:D) and there were no signs outside the dining rooms. The only mention of dress in the Compass was the "suggestion" for each evening of casual or formal.

Sherri:)

Just got off Oasis today, lots of men wore shorts to dinner. There was nothing written in the Compass prohibiting shorts (or caps or tank tops:D) and there were no signs outside the dining rooms. The only mention of dress in the Compass was the "suggestion" for each evening of casual or formal.

Sherri - just to be sure I am reading this correctly - you said the compass said Casual (not Smart Casual?)?

Smart Casual is the 'wear pants' recommendation - Casual definitely allows shorts (it's the first night dress code incase you don't have your luggage)

I would be curious if other ships end up doing the same thing.

I can still never understand why other people get bothered by what someone wears. It's none of your business.

I won't wear shorts in the MDR simply because I'd feel weird, but I've no problem with people who do. I also wear a suit everyday for work, so don't fancy wearing one every night while on holiday.

I've also seen people in shorts who look much smarter and better presented than someone wearing an ill fitted suit or clothes from another era.

If you don't want to wear shorts, don't. If you don't want to suit up or go fancy, then don't.

If some stranger wears an outfit that bothers you, then deal with it and get some perspective.

Concur!!!

Where I live I rarely have the opportunity to dress up and enjoy a meal at a fancy restaurant. I like to do that on formal nights, and you will find a great number of people who do the same. My son who is special needs asked me to make him a 1800's regency style outfit with brocade tails. He was stylin and enjoying every complement and giggle he got from others. According to Ashlund, that was also inappropriate dress, but I think he fit right in. A gentleman at the next table wore a hawaiian shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes, I think he felt more out of place than we did. So wear what you like, or go to the windjammer on formal nights, your cruise, you choice......

Sherri - just to be sure I am reading this correctly - you said the compass said Casual (not Smart Casual?)?

Smart Casual is the 'wear pants' recommendation - Casual definitely allows shorts (it's the first night dress code incase you don't have your luggage)

I would be curious if other ships end up doing the same thing.

The first night, yes, shorts were always allowed but I recall reading a statement each night in the Compass on my other cruises saying short pants, tank tops and ball caps were not allowed for dinner, even when the suggested dress was casual. I saw nothing on the compasses for Oasis.

And there was no dress requirements listed for any of the specialty restaurants. I thought there used to be a statement that they were smart casual?