What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

Interesting, as noted by others - the buzz word is "accepted" and/or "processing" - from your profile's clock, your BA sailing is still 8+ weeks out ... unless you have a higher (fair & above) bid and NCL wanted to lock in your offer before you changed your mind or lower the bid. But, what do I know.

Do you have more than 1 bid? Is the other bid "expired" - then, it might be a good clue. Took the system a few hours/overnight to update & change eDocs with the new stateroom info, and send the notification email. Log into the system again in 12 to 24 hours to see if anything changed (credit card alert on a pending charge, set your own customized SMS/text alert.)

When we sailed the Gem this April & bidded, 1 of our offer was accepted about 11 days out and another bid on a 2nd. stateroom's win came several days later. Rejected bid for the 3rd. stateroom in our group came via email 2 days before sailing - the option & ability to review and modify the bids remained.

We will be on the BA in a # of weeks (and, others on the Roll Call are bidding) - 2 staterooms bidding this time, will post once the outcomes are known ...

For example, if there are 3 or 4 of you now booked in an oceanview that sleep 5 and you have a fair to good bid on a mini-suite, the odds of getting an early acceptance might be lower than those 2 or 3 pax booked in a family oceanview for an upgrade to a balcony with a lower $$ amount as a poor-fair bid. Just think for a moment - not as simple as how much your bidding for a higher category GTY is worth to NCL.

We are cruising to Alaska on the 10th. We booked 2 rooms because we are a family of 5. I put in the minimum bids for our ocean view room but I'm wondering if I have a better chance of bidding out of our interior room instead. The cruise we are on has disappeared off the NCL website so I can't tell if the cruise is filling up, or not.

Any way of knowing how upgrades are offered? Does Latitudes level make a difference?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

(NCL Page with FAQ link)

I have read through most of this thread and quite a few others. Nowhere I have seen anything that confirms the actual process on the NCL side. Lots of people have made assumptions, often with very limited information.

Personally, I believe the goal is to maximize average revenue per cabin. Therefore, they take the highest bids possible. I personally do not believe it makes a difference how much you paid, how many times you have cruised, who you know, where you served, etc. They just look for the highest bids to fill cabins at the highest possible price. Makes the most sense if I was running the business.

Yes, there are many other things like which sort of cabins they think they can still sell, what levels they can upgrade from, what sort of bids they are getting for THAT week,etc.

Edited by garycarla

We are cruising to Alaska on the 10th. We booked 2 rooms because we are a family of 5. I put in the minimum bids for our ocean view room but I'm wondering if I have a better chance of bidding out of our interior room instead. The cruise we are on has disappeared off the NCL website so I can't tell if the cruise is filling up, or not.

I have looked on the NCL website, the only ship that sails to Alaska on Sunday, out of Seattle, is the Pearl. So, I am assuming you are on the Pearl for 10-17th?

The week of Sept 10-17 is still listed as available. The only category SOLD is the Mini Suites, as of this morning.

Good luck, these last few weeks of Alaska cruise season are usually not very full.

We sail the next week, Sept 17th to 24th :D

I have looked on the NCL website, the only ship that sails to Alaska on Sunday, out of Seattle, is the Pearl. So, I am assuming you are on the Pearl for 10-17th?

The week of Sept 10-17 is still listed as available. The only category SOLD is the Mini Suites, as of this morning.

Good luck, these last few weeks of Alaska cruise season are usually not very full.

We sail the next week, Sept 17th to 24th :D

That's the one! Thanks, it is back up again. (I swear it was off the website for a few hours this am). I am hoping since its not very full our chances of an upgrade or at least getting a room on the same floor might be possible! Have fun on your cruse :D

SaveSave

Have you checked your credit card to see if there is a pending charge for the upgrade? If they have removed the chance to cancel, I would think you are getting the upgrade. Good Luck!

good idea! but I wasn't charged yet. I made 2 bids, one for mini, one for balcony. one says 'modify' or 'cancel'. the second offer still has the green button that says 'pending' and nothing else. maybe they know the ship will not fill up and will offer me one or the other? who knows. I went to a popular travel sight,, and was able to see that there are plenty of balconies/ minis left. It's a good thing I like surprises!:D

Therefore, they take the highest bids possible. I personally do not believe it makes a difference how much you paid, how many times you have cruised, who you know, where you served, etc. They just look for the highest bids to fill cabins at the highest possible price. Makes the most sense if I was running the

The problem with this logic is that different people have different bid ranges based on their current room. If I had a minisuite, for example, and were bidding on an H5, my starting bid would be, say $1000 with a max of $3000. If I had a H9 my min bid for the same H5 would be $500 with a max of $1500.

Can't just pick the high bid.

I booked my NCL Jade Panama cruise in December and was finally able to snag a SE suite in February. Since then there has been no other suites available for this sailing at all. We are cruising in November. All of a sudden I got an email to bid on H5, H4, H3, and H2 and an SC. Of course the bidding ranged from $750-5000 for the H2. I can't imagine bidding that much more money just for the haven area on the Jade. I guess some will.

Definitely is available to the UK, I believe it was rolled out in the spring of this year...

One thing I can confirm personally is it will not matter if you book with NCL directly or a TA, the upgrade Invitation will be sent out to you, I can say that with certainty, as I booked through a TA (first time, 7 cruises!) & received the Invitation directly from NCL, via email, and 'Let's get you upgraded' is visible on myncl homepage/account also.

It's not just NCL Latitudes members that get an invite, a first timer can bid - and have success.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a high bid to succeed, judging by previous posters.

For clarity to others just joining this thread - your experience only really proves if someone books through YOUR TA they can still get an invitation. There are multiple reports that not ALL TAs are participating.

For clarity to others just joining this thread - your experience only really proves if someone books through YOUR TA they can still get an invitation. There are multiple reports that not ALL TAs are participating.

Yes, indeed it was my own personal experience, & perhaps I should have recited that fact more throughout my post.

... I made 2 bids, one for mini, one for balcony. one says 'modify' or 'cancel'. the second offer still has the green button that says 'pending' and nothing else...

Have you tried to click the upgrade type?

Short version: don't click the pending button, instead click the bold blue letters.

Long version:

Suppose the one with pending button is 'balcony'. Then click the 'balcony'. Because you have more than 1 bid, they only show you one at the time with 'modify' or 'cancel'. Once you click the balcony one, the other one (mini) will appear with green button pending.

see the example.

by clicking 'Owner's Suite with Large Balcony (SB)', you will get the offer details of this upgrade at the top of the page and modify or cancel buttons will appear. The one at the top before the clicking, will move down and have same information as below with green pending button on it.

note: offer amount just an 'example' clear.png?emoji-grin-1677 unfortunately the lowest offer is not that low.

image.jpg

Have you tried to click the upgrade type?

Short version: don't click the pending button, instead click the bold blue letters.

Long version:

Suppose the one with pending button is 'balcony'. Then click the 'balcony'. Because you have more than 1 bid, they only show you one at the time with 'modify' or 'cancel'. Once you click the balcony one, the other one (mini) will appear with green button pending.

see the example.

by clicking 'Owner's Suite with Large Balcony (SB)', you will get the offer details of this upgrade at the top of the page and modify or cancel buttons will appear. The one at the top before the clicking, will move down and have same information as below with green pending button on it.

note: offer amount just an 'example' :D unfortunately the lowest offer is not that low.

image.jpg

SHHHH! don't burst my hope bubble..lol.:D I still think my chances are pretty good, even after the huge sale they just had, there are plenty of balconies/minis left for my sailing. Either way, I'll be on the Breakaway and will enjoy every minute of it!

Another data point for the thread: family vacation to Bermuda on the Dawn, sailing Sept 8th, 2017.

First room was an ocean view, my parents bid $200/person to upgrade to a mini suite. They were quite happy when their bid was accepted 2 weeks prior to sailing.

Second room was a mini suite. We originally paid $1600/person for this room. Placed multiple offers to upgrade to full blown suites. NCL accepted our offer of $445/person for a family suite with balcony seven days out from departure. Our bid was in the poor range.

I figure we were lucky since most kids are back to school and the family suites weren't booked full.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Here's a question; how does one go about finding the remaining cabin inventory on a given ship?

Once you get that, you still do not know how many folks will be moving up and vacating a cabin (or how many others are bidding).

Or how many people will be canceling.

Or how many cabins that might be on a special "hold".

Just saying there are so damn many variables in this process.

yes, but w/ that particular site, you only have to put in the number of travelers, nothing else. I don't have the patience to put all my info in over and over.

On the NCL site you don't put your info in until the end. You can see which rooms, price, and the actual room numbers and a deck map before you need put in any contact info.

Is more info shown on that third party site? I hadn't thought to look somewhere other than the source.

We were on the 1/28 Escape sailing and just got off the ship today. We initially booked a mid-ship mini suite. Around 80 or so days out we received an email to place bids on the Haven suites. They give you the option to bid 2 categories above what you initially booked. We initially bid $500 per person for the H5, H6, and H7 suites. A week before the cruise we still hadn't heard anything so we upped our bids to $650 per person- we really wanted the Haven! 3 days before sailing we received confirmation our bid was accepted for the H7. It was an amazing trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you have access to all the same perks as if you paid full price?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're on deck 9. It looks like the rooms might be a little bigger on deck 10. The balconies look a little smaller. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Main difference is the ones on 10 have a dining alcove and yes, a bit difference in size of balconies. The rooms also used to have different color schemes across the 4 rooms but now they have all been converted to NCL suite tans and greens.

You'll have unlimited in room water and soda too.