How O handles the next cruise after Noro issues

chrismch

We sailed on the Marina 1/22 - 2/1 which was right after the cruise that had 20+ noro confirmations. Though that is a small amount, they decided they didn't want to take any chances so this is how they handled it.

When you arrived in the cruise terminal they had staff wiping down the counters after each guest did their sign it. However, no one was wiping down chair armrests when people got up, so I guess that part was more to protect their onshore staff rather than passengers.

For the first two days, we were on a health alert. Having been on many cruises I was surprised at the extent of precautions. All menus were paper without the leather binders, and you could take them with you as they were discarded after one use. Salt and pepper packets were provided. All stations in the Terrace Grill and Waves were shrink-wrapped, which at times made it awkward for staff handing plates over the counter.

No snacks were provided in Baristas other than something handed to you by staff. The self-serve display case on the side was empty. No snacks in Horizons, Concierge or Executive Lounge. They also did not have coffee - didn't want anybody cross-contaminating cups. All books were removed from these lounges as well.

The Library was in lock down. No beverages in the fitness room.

The good thing about these pre-cautions is that we had no reports of noro. The only sickness I heard about was sea-sickness from two choppy days at sea. For us that was easily handled by taking a pill in advance.

Oceania seems to have a lot of problems with the noro virus. We were in the November 1st sailing and after a lot of precautions, I got it. There were about 39 people who went to the doctor plus about 8 crew. BUT, there probably were about 200 people or more who had it and did not go to the doctor. Met several people who had it did not go to the doctor (I didn't).

The sailing before ours had it but nothing was said at check-in about it so I assumed it was taken care of - that was very wrong!

We won't go on Oceania again - they seem to routinely have noro virus problems.

Oceania seems to have a lot of problems with the noro virus. We were in the November 1st sailing and after a lot of precautions, I got it. There were about 39 people who went to the doctor plus about 8 crew. BUT, there probably were about 200 people or more who had it and did not go to the doctor. Met several people who had it did not go to the doctor (I didn't).

The sailing before ours had it but nothing was said at check-in about it so I assumed it was taken care of - that was very wrong!

I am not sure that it is any more than most other ships. You would have to read all the other boards every day to really find out.

We're with Alidor -- and I believe we were both on the same noro infested cruise. We've been on both Marina and Riviera and had/seen noro. I do think it is a problem on O's larger ships and would only sail the smaller ones from now on. It's no fun to said on one of these cruises -- no library, no laundry room, no table settings, shrink wrapped buffet -- ugh. And don't even get me started on how we were treated the one time my husband visited the doctor!

We're with Alidor -- and I believe we were both on the same noro infested cruise. We've been on both Marina and Riviera and had/seen noro. I do think it is a problem on O's larger ships and would only sail the smaller ones from now on. It's no fun to said on one of these cruises -- no library, no laundry room, no table settings, shrink wrapped buffet -- ugh. And don't even get me started on how we were treated the one time my husband visited the doctor!

Large or small ships makes no difference! We had Code Red norovirus on Regatta last March and it had been on the previous cruise too. But all lines seem to suffer in the same way.

What year and what ship?

It isn't just on Oceania. We caught it on Crystal.

The problem with Noro is you don't know you have it when you can spread it. Then after it rears its ugly head, it is too late.

Orv - I believe it was the year before last on Riviera. They couldn't seem to shake it. There was also quite a bit on Marina as well.

During the winter months, it is best not to touch the hand rails or shake hands. Also washing your hands frequently with hot water and soap. All ships get it.

During the winter months, it is best not to touch the hand rails or shake hands. Also washing your hands frequently with hot water and soap. All ships get it.

We just returned from the Marina - the sailing after the OP's. Thankfully, everything was normal status this time. Lovely cruise! No illness that I know of. However, I am quite surprised because of a few factors.

#1 - I saw only two passengers using the hand sanitizing stations on the entire cruise. No crew member manning them, either. DH and I used them religiously. Many machines remained empty. Two were at Waves Grill. Those that were not empty seemed to be watered down. Celebrity has machines that are always filled, and many times someone asking a passenger to use them. The gel is also thick. Now, I know there is controversy about hand sanitizing, so no need to get into the argument about them working or not, please.

DH and I feel that a little alcohol certainly cannot hurt (along with the hand washing.) We have been on 36 cruises and so far, our sanitizing methods have kept us healthy. Like mentioned above, we avoid hand rails, elevator buttons (DH uses elbow) and we use our non-prominent hands to handle other items such as food tongs, S&P, etc.

#2 - I normally avoid the use of public bathrooms on ships, but our stateroom was too far to go...when we had to go. Not once was I able to get hot water out of the faucet in a public bathroom. Luke warm at best. So how are we suppose to wash our hands in hot, soapy water for 20-30 seconds? I did wash well, however. And after using the suggested paper towel to open the bathroom door, I also stopped at a sanitizing machine.

What really bothered both DH and I were the number of passengers that we saw leaving the bathroom stalls and then heading straight for the door. In addition, there were no full time attendants in the washrooms like Celebrity has. Those attendants clean the stalls after a few uses, encourage hand washing, clean the counter tops, make sure there are fresh towels, open the doors for passengers leaving, etc. And the water is hot!

#3 - We saw some very unsanitary practices among many passengers. Note: This does not just happen on Oceania cruises. Our pet peeve is of those that do not know how to cover their noses and mouths when they cough and sneeze. Use your napkin or crook of the elbow. Not your hands or the air! No amount of crew serving the passenger will keep germs away from the food stations when guest are sneezing onto food.

The worst thing that we saw on the cruise was in the main dining room one morning. A servers was in the midst of asking a lady if she would like a danish. The lady started coughing uncontrollably and right onto the tray of danish. The crew member held it there while offering to the passenger to the left of the woman. Then, he proceeded to bring the tray over to us. We declined danish that morning. Then one evening in the dining room we witnessed a server sneezing right next to a tray of food and then preceded to serve the food to his table. I am sure this happens a lot more than we wish to know. :eek:

We just returned from the Marina - the sailing after the OP's. Thankfully, everything was normal status this time. Lovely cruise! No illness that I know of. However, I am quite surprised because of a few factors.

#1 - I saw only two passengers using the hand sanitizing stations on the entire cruise. No crew member manning them, either. DH and I used them religiously. Many machines remained empty. Two were at Waves Grill. Those that were not empty seemed to be watered down. Celebrity has machines that are always filled, and many times someone asking a passenger to use them. The gel is also thick. Now, I know there is controversy about hand sanitizing, so no need to get into the argument about them working or not, please.

DH and I feel that a little alcohol certainly cannot hurt (along with the hand washing.) We have been on 36 cruises and so far, our sanitizing methods have kept us healthy. Like mentioned above, we avoid hand rails, elevator buttons (DH uses elbow) and we use our non-prominent hands to handle other items such as food tongs, S&P, etc.

#2 - I normally avoid the use of public bathrooms on ships, but our stateroom was too far to go...when we had to go. Not once was I able to get hot water out of the faucet in a public bathroom. Luke warm at best. So how are we suppose to wash our hands in hot, soapy water for 20-30 seconds? I did wash well, however. And after using the suggested paper towel to open the bathroom door, I also stopped at a sanitizing machine.

What really bothered both DH and I were the number of passengers that we saw leaving the bathroom stalls and then heading straight for the door. In addition, there were no full time attendants in the washrooms like Celebrity has. Those attendants clean the stalls after a few uses, encourage hand washing, clean the counter tops, make sure there are fresh towels, open the doors for passengers leaving, etc. And the water is hot!

#3 - We saw some very unsanitary practices among many passengers. Note: This does not just happen on Oceania cruises. Our pet peeve is of those that do not know how to cover their noses and mouths when they cough and sneeze. Use your napkin or crook of the elbow. Not your hands or the air! No amount of crew serving the passenger will keep germs away from the food stations when guest are sneezing onto food.

The worst thing that we saw on the cruise was in the main dining room one morning. A servers was in the midst of asking a lady if she would like a danish. The lady started coughing uncontrollably and right onto the tray of danish. The crew member held it there while offering to the passenger to the left of the woman. Then, he proceeded to bring the tray over to us. We declined danish that morning. Then one evening in the dining room we witnessed a server sneezing right next to a tray of food and then preceded to serve the food to his table. I am sure this happens a lot more than we wish to know. :eek:

Did you discuss any of thses issues with management while onboard??

What really bothered both DH and I were the number of passengers that we saw leaving the bathroom stalls and then heading straight for the door.

How long, pray, did you spend monitoring the bathroom habits of others?

People are so quick to ascribe such activity as....well.....peculiar :rolleyes:

Oddly enough in all of our cruises my wife and I have never discussed what others do in a public bathroom.

Did you discuss any of thses issues with management while onboard??

I am simply stating some practices that we observed around the ship. Because of the Riviera/Noro cruise from last year, we were on alert.

I'm not sure what issue I/we needed to discuss, but we are not one to complain unless we are affected directly by something. And even at that, we rarely complain.

LOL No monitoring. :rolleyes: Only when we were using the sinks and noticed that others were not. Or when standing in line for meals, we never once saw anyone using the sanitizing machines before heading into the dining rooms. I saw one man and one woman using the machines when I was waiting outside the bathrooms on my husband during separate occasions.

I feel no need to defend what I stated above. We had a very nice cruise and were blessed that it was a well ship this trip. :)

I am simply stating some practices that we observed around the ship. Because of the Riviera/Noro cruise from last year, we were on alert.

I'm not sure what issue I/we needed to discuss, but we are not one to complain unless we are affected directly by something. And even at that, we rarely complain.

seriously :eek:

You stated you saw a lady cough on the breakfast pastries

The waiter sneeze on the food

This would affect you & others & needs to be reported so the staff can be advised on how to handle these situations

I have seen people handle the rolls in the Terrace & put it back I have given the said roll to the server & said it was on the floor so they will dispose of it

Noro is still a relatively rare occurrence, regardless of the hype. We have been on about 25 cruises and only had one truly affected NORO-cruise (The Crown Princess). Even when you look at the CDC reported incidences of 3% or more infected , it is only a handful of cruises out of several THOUSAND cruises per year. Just wash your hands frequently, use the hand sanitizers and stay away from sneezers, coughers or otherwise unhygenic people. Incidentally, the Crown Princess was a notorious Noro bugger.

CDC Website: https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2016