Now We Need an Elevator Pass!

Lastdance

This is just a gentle reminder that not all disabilities are visible. My mother has a heart condition, rheumatoid arthritis in my knees, and spinal stenosis. We often take an elevator, to go up just one floor (and sometimes even down) because it is agony for her to use the stairs. Please do not rush to judgment.

True, but we still saw enough lazy pax who just did it as well. We saw some of these same pax on excursions & moving about quite freely, so there are some lazy ones out there. We like to use the stairs if it's less than 5 floors.

I know on the Cunard QV/QE we had them to get up to the Queens Grill/Princess Grill Rest. They don't have that on Celebrity & we didn't have it on our cards. Might be some express pass for handicapped, though I also noticed anyone with a chair/scooter just went up & down with everyone else.

Might be that some crew members have elevator cards.

Just been advised by X that in addition to being awarded an elevator pass, DW and I will be given a hall pass in the form of an eraser.

Do you have to raise one or two fingers to be able to use the hall pass?

Wait until you see how public restroom access is allocated on the Edge.

Steerage will have their own restrooms and will have to pay 30 cents per piece of toilet paper, whilst those suite guests allowed in suite bathrooms or Loominae as it is to be called, will have their own personal attendant to lend a hand.

True, but we still saw enough lazy pax who just did it as well. We saw some of these same pax on excursions & moving about quite freely, so there are some lazy ones out there. We like to use the stairs if it's less than 5 floors.

I wish I could tell whether or not a person who appears to be "moving about quite freely" suffers from any breathing disorder, or has arthritis which may prevent them from using stairs. How exactly do you do that?

Maybe those who appear healthy but aren't should be made to wear signs so people don't think they're lazy.

The passes are for the new horizontal 'lateralators' which speed you from bow to stern and vice versa. The new Edge design has thought of everything! Why walk down the corridor when you can literally hitch a lift?

Be nice or leave [emoji3]

What a great humorus thread, i love all those funny comments! I forgt- oft course Elite and above get " free elevator rides" - as they get free internet minutes.

Mynki- great post- 30 cent per piece- well TAHT really needs to be settled with a Toiletpaperpackage! Just make sure you take enough.. thin as it is...and nobody for the steerage class to lend a hand...!

I wish I could tell whether or not a person who appears to be "moving about quite freely" suffers from any breathing disorder, or has arthritis which may prevent them from using stairs. How exactly do you do that?

Maybe those who appear healthy but aren't should be made to wear signs so people don't think they're lazy.

Or maybe we could just quit judging one another and live and let live. I would love to be able to use the stairs, it's much quicker. Sadly, that's no longer an option for me. Way too painful.

QShip - where did you grow up? My mother used to speak of having to raise one or two fingers, in the small school she attended in Wisconsin.

I can attest to this. Sheldon school , town of willow Springs, Lafayette county , wis.

Outdoor toilets particularly nice in winter.

People really should not judge others by their outward appearance - and I'm guilty, I've done it too - most of us have -- until we are the judged.

To look at me I appear to be a reasonably healthy 59 yr old -- but I was born with a bicuspid aortic heart valve - a congenital heart defect. I'm lucky this ol valve has hung in there this long - but things are changing and in the future I'll have a bovine or porcine valve. Until the insurance says I'm ready, my abilities will continue to decline - I try to stay active and take the stairs but there are times when I am too fatigued. Would you judge me - I hope not. So just because you cannot see a condition or disability - please don't judge.

Another example of judging people for stair use happened to me just recently: a colleague complaining about the people on the first floor taking the elevator up and down. He felt stupid when I pointed out that the stair doors opened into a garage on the back side of the building, which means they'd have to walk down the alley and around the block to get to the lobby. The moral is that you never know anyone's circumstances.

We did see on, I think it was Allure of Seas many years ago, elevators not stopping at our floor and having to wait through 2-3 elevators before having one stop at our floor. :(
That happens on Celebrity ships too, which are sometimes programmed not to stop at any deck where I am waiting. ;)

They have all our photos from our seapass cards programmed into their system and cameras all over the ship, so they can easily identify me when I am waiting for an elevator and automatically set the elevators to bypass that deck.

There is a way to take a direct non stop elevator ride which is done by holding buttons and some cruisers do it. Very rude. I was shown the trick on a recent cruise but would never do it. A passenger proudly showed us how . That is why you get passed while waiting .. Very inconsiderate fellow cruisers

NEWSWORTHY...The Magazine For

Those in the Know...

...For those cruisers who are without PERKS or "perk less," you may be allowed to purchase an elevator pass with your OBC. There will only be a limited number of passes for each sailing, so make sure that you sign up and pay, at least 24 hours after your luggage arrives. These passes are good for either up or down and pass for the length of the cruise.

Also available for 60% of the cost of the up and down pass is a pass that is only up or only down.

Elevator pass? Nope....at least not yet. But given the recent history of Celebrity we can certainly see a future when passengers will have to pay to use the elevators.

Also in the future will be a stairs card.

There will be room for 25 punches. One punch will be taken each time you use the stairs to go up. Two punches will be taken each time you use the stairs to go down.