Kiwi captures cruise-ship crash

Heres a link to a video of last weeks accident....

A woman managed to film the dramatic moment that luxury cruise ship Seabourn Encore collided with another vessel, the Milburn Carrier II, in the port of Timaru, New Zealand.

Kiwi captures cruise-ship crash

https://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/travel/a/34447096/kiwi-films-moment-cruise-ship-crashes-new-zealand-yahooo7-be/#page1

Ships often break there moorings from time to time

a year oor so ago The Spirit of Tasmania broke its moorings in strong Winds and did some damage to the bow doors and vechile ramp..

its just lucky no one was injured or harmed and just a couple of dings on both ships

Wonder why that stern mooring rope kept playing out?

Just a guess, probably to keep one line in place and a workable condition so that if they did manage to arrest it then they had a line ready to go. I was a bit surprised that the snapped lines weren't taken inboard quicker to ensure that they could manoeuvre without risk of fouling. Not much more the CAPT/Crew could have done in such a short space of time that the incident occurred in.

Sent from my iPhone -

typos are inspired by fat fingers!

Wonder why that stern mooring rope kept playing out?

Just a guess, probably to keep one line in place and a workable condition so that if they did manage to arrest it then they had a line ready to go. I was a bit surprised that the snapped lines weren't taken inboard quicker to ensure that they could manoeuvre without risk of fouling.

I'm guessing that not much more the CAPT/Crew could have been done in such a short space of time that the incident occurred in.

Sent from my iPhone -

Just a guess, probably to keep one line in place and a workable condition so that if they did manage to arrest it then they had a line ready to go. I was a bit surprised that the snapped lines weren't taken inboard quicker to ensure that they could manoeuvre without risk of fouling. Probably not much more the CAPT/Crew could have done in such a short space of time that the incident occurred in.

Sent from my iPhone -

Took a while to find a link where the video worked for me. The one mooring line that kept paying out was in fact the one mooring line that had the winch brake adjusted properly. The brakes are manual, screw adjusted, and should be set to "render", or slip, at a lower force than the strength of the mooring lines, so the lines don't break. The deck crew was most likely not available right at that moment, doing other tasks, and it took a while to get to the mooring deck and start retrieving lines. The incident on video is only 4 minutes long, and it would generally take the engine room that long to get more engines online and the propulsion powered up. Not sure how much advance warning they had.