DragonOfTheSeas goes LIVE to Mardi Gras on the Equinox 2.20.17

DragonOfTheSeas

It has taken the Rex parade from 10 am to 1:30 to get to Julia Street. There was a lot of stopping during the parade. I was talking to a band parent for one of the high school groups. It had been 4.25 hours at that point for the parade. She said they hoped to be home by then.

I asked her what was the problem? She said the King of Rex had to go to the bathroom so they stopped. :D Another time or two they had flat tires. :eek:

Here is another float.

P2280010_zpss2gjjbnb.jpg

After an hour or so I decided I had enough fun. :D I headed back to the ship. On the way I crossed Convention Center Blvd and saw all of the floats that had passed lined up waiting to be stored.

P2280011_zps4qjmo6sy.jpg

DH saw these from our balcony. He teased me he saw all the floats and did not have to stand on the street.

The Rex parade has the best throws. They throw to individual people and sometimes even point to who they are throwing to. that makes it easier to catch it.

The throws are tied to the float. Here is today's haul from the Rex parade:

P2280013_zpsiki1ghoa.jpg

A tip for anyone going on Celebrity with a balcony but not concierge. The life vests are under the bed in a basket and put on the balcony with a towel thrown over them they make a foot rest. Where there is a will there is a way:cool:

Celebrity has made us always want the little extras when cruising. We have three cruises booked on the Eclipse, this first one being in Oct. TA.

Thanks for the tip.:)

Do you agree with my comments regarding grandstands and the parades? Please give us your expert opinion. :D

Oh, no....Don't mistake me for an expert. I just moved here a few months ago from Key West. I'm still culture shocked! ;p

I totally skipped today. There's been 70 something parades in and around NOLA since Twelfth Night, and I rode one Friday night. What an awesome experience! I threw over 2000 beads and still almost ran out.

But from what little I know of the grandstands, I'd pick the stands at Lafayette Park. I only say that because of the numerous porta-potties, so less time waiting in line. Plus, it's a safer area. Someone was shot a few blocks down at Lee Circle a couple weeks ago during a parade.

Oh, no....Don't mistake me for an expert. I just moved here a few months ago from Key West. I'm still culture shocked! ;p

I totally skipped today. There's been 70 something parades in and around NOLA since Twelfth Night, and I rode one Friday night. What an awesome experience! I threw over 2000 beads and still almost ran out.

But from what little I know of the grandstands, I'd pick the stands at Lafayette Park. I only say that because of the numerous porta-potties, so less time waiting in line. Plus, it's a safer area. Someone was shot a few blocks down at Lee Circle a couple weeks ago during a parade.

That would be exciting to ride one of the floats.

Do you agree with my comments regarding grandstands and the parades? Please give us your expert opinion. :D

Dragon, Thanks for the great thread!! I am booked for 2018 and am new to NOLA and Mardi Gras. Are you aware of details regarding or anyone who did the Celebrity Grandstand excursion? Can it possibly be worth the $$ ???? Location good, bad??

Thanks again for your review. It was interesting reading it from a native perspective. Glad you had a good time in New Orleans. Hope you loved our humid spring. ;p It was pretty warm yesterday; here in Baton Rouge it was 84. I am sure it was at least that in NO. Pretty typical though, we only had 2 days of winter this year.

I grew up doing Mardi Gras, in NO, here, and elsewhere in the state. Never did a grandstand or even thought about doing one. We always just stood on the street - and were able to move around some and position ourselves differently as the crowds shifted. Usually in a typical parade I'd personally get 40 to 50 strands of beads. Sometimes more, a lot more. We'd end up with so many in the family that we had to just throw them away, it got out of control. I'm sorry you got so few, although the Rex ones are nice. Anyone get a Zulu coconut? Those are hard to come by. So I'd say to those wondering about those grandstands - you can have a great time and get lots of throws without them. It's a great moneymaker but I'm not sure the hype is always the reality.

We always liked to stand on Canal Street where it meets Royal St. - that is, when we were in the French Quarter. Toward the end of the parade they start throwing more stuff they have been saving. Lots of years we were out in Metairie for the "truck" parades. More family-friendly. They were/are longer less elaborate parades but the throws were amazing and you could find places to stand a lot easier. If you knew someone with a business you'd stand there and have the bathroom to use. THAT was winning the lottery. We had friends who worked in a bank along the parade route. Scored close parking spot, bathroom, and food indoors. And ladders with chairs on top for our then very young girls. People always throw to the cute little kids.

For at least 25 years we've no longer had any desire to stand at the parades for ten cent beads I can get in any store around here. But for those who have never gone it's definitely an *experience*. I know if you're in a Krewe it's a bigger deal, but people spend up to $10,000 (or more) a year with the throws you have to buy and the costumes and balls and all the hoopla. Mardi Gras ain't cheap!!

I read that you were surprised things were closed on Mardi Gras day. I'm interested that that didn't come up on your roll call. Sorry you were disappointed. You could have come up to the original Mike Anderson's here in BR, ha ha. That little one in the Riverwalk is just eh in my opinion, so you didn't miss much. I don't think anything really is open then, in New Orleans. Nobody goes to New Orleans on Fat Tuesday to shop or eat in the wonderful restaurants. It's all about the parades. Security is concentrated there, and who's gonna' go shopping then anyway? If I had a shop in the Quarter or near it, no way I'd be open that weekend. Messy drunks and people making poor personal decisions coming in - nope.

It's a state holiday. Schools are out Mon and Tues and the entire week if you're in many of the schools. Louisiana citizens pretty much take over Disney and the ski slopes this week. We've done both back in the day when girls were young.

Hope you'll come back and visit our state again - see the plantation homes up the Mississippi River just north of BR and Cajun country in Lafayette and New Iberia. Or some great SEC football at an LSU home game on a Saturday night in the fall. I'd be curious if some of the cruise passengers ventured out past the parades into the state further west and north of the big easy. I'd love to know what they did/saw.

We're currently aboard with Dragon and hundreds of crazy, enthusiastic cc'ers. This was undoubtedly the best planned sailing we've ever been on. Lots of activities and camaraderie. Just check out Mary's (Beba Beba) spreadsheet link below her signature on our roll call board.

We managed to hit all five parades on Sun, Mon and Tues and are returning home with a small suitcase full of loot, including a zulu coconut which I had to out-jump a crowd for. Plan to give the beads to my daughter, a teacher, as rewards for her students.

Didn't think we'd make Bacchus on Sunday as X did a miserable job of handling immigration. Passengers had been assigned numbers. We were in group 6 of at least 15. They called #1 just after 6pm and an hour later were still on #2. A number of us had gathered near the gangway and to clear the area they finally told us to just go. After a very long walk we reached a terminal empty of passengers and CBP officers standing around waiting. After a cursory examination of our passports we were out the door. Later heard that folks with #14 didn't get off until 10pm.

Walked straight up Julia St. and in 10 minutes we were at St. Charles where the head of the parade had just passed. (Note: all parades took at least 1 1/2 hours to reach Julia St. The parade finder apps I downloaded to my phone came in real handy). We were surprised at how family oriented and friendly the crowd was. DW eventually managed to get a spot right in the front row. Three hours of standing was hard on my feet though. Learned that the secret to getting lots of throws is to bring, borrow or rent a small child as they are bead magnets. Fortunately we connected with some locals with little ones. Back to the ship by 11 where we were disappointed find only the normal late night food selection available at the buffet

Edited by Baron Barracuda

continued (accidentally hit submit).

Monday morning dw accompanied a number of cc'ers on a voodoo and cemetery tour while I spent 2+ hours at the WWII museum. Very informative. Later spent over an hour on line at the Cafec Du Monde satellite location in the outlet center. Beignets were excellent though.

A number of us purchased grandstand seats online for the Monday parades. Ours were in Lafayette Park "A" section, right across the street from the reviewing stand where all the bands stopped to perform. It was a great value at $30 plus an additional $10 for vip access (tent and "clean" port a potty access). It wan't too crowded and dw was again right on the rail with local children. Proteus was just ok, but thought Orpheus great. It had the most college bands and very generous in their throws. Best of all no sore feet. Got back to ship hungry at 11:30 and once again had to settle for pizza for dinner.

We were tired Tuesday and decided to skip Zulu which started at 8am and just go up for Rex two hours later. Followed Rex's progress on parade tracker and left ship at 11:30. Arrived at Julia / St. Charles and were surprised to catch the final 20 floats in Zulu. Heard they had experienced several breakdowns including 30+ minutes while they were there. Crowds were five deep when we arrived but thinned out considerably after 1pm. I focused on protecting my coconut. By the time Zulu passed Rex was right behind led by a large contingent of the Texas A&M drill team and a US marine corps band. Excellent parade, but our feet gave out after the first 20 floats and we headed back to the ship at 3pm. Too late for lunch but at least there were Celebrity burgers.

Final parade-watching note - after the Sunday and Monday parades march down St Charles they double back along Tchoupitoulas which is closer to the ship and has smaller crowds. Rex on Sunday ends at Canal & St Peters. Friends who were there reported massive amounts of throws near end of parade. Highly recommend Lafayette grandstands. IMO best position is front row on left side of "A"

Edited by Baron Barracuda

Most passengers are resting up today. After 3 days of FUN we are all beat. I am sure there are plenty with hangovers, but we are a little stiff from all the walking and standing at the parades for hours.Almost everyone we have talked with at dinner/bars/lounges etc. brings up the same thing. . . . and we joined a rocking good sail-away party last night on the pool deck.

Even the Captain and his staff are resting. The Staff Captain was scheduled for a talk this morning [i forgot the topic]. However, he rescheduled it. The Cruise Director said they were up all night negotiating the River. It was very foggy. When the Captain gave his daily briefing via the intercom [later than usual] he mentioned he had gotten a few hours of sleep.

They have a continental breakfast in the Tuscan Grille for Elite/Elite Plus/Zenith loyalty levels each morning. We tried it this morning for the first time. It was very nice. They serve complimentary specialty coffees and morning ?beverages.? [read mimosas, bloody Mary, etc]

We also tried the main dining room for lunch for the first time today. It is only open for lunch on sea days and there have not been many of those. We miss having a Tutti salad like on RoyalCaribbean, but the food and service was excellent.

We went by the photo studio to buy a photo and purchased the Cruise in Review DVD. Wen ever buy these, however, they are playing a clip of the video from earlier inthe cruise and there are a couple of glimpses of me. Also, they have footage from the bayou and the river as we sailed into NOLA. There was lots of footage from our parade around the ship. I heard someone say they bet the photographers were thrilled when they realized we had set up a parade.

edit: Cruise critic is running all of my words together. I edited them--but, if I miss some i apologize.

continued (accidentally hit submit).

A number of us purchased grandstand seats online for the Monday parades. Ours were in Lafayette Park "A" section, right across the street from the reviewing stand where all the bands stopped to perform. It was a great value at $30 plus an additional $10 for vip access (tent and "clean" port a potty access). It wan't too crowded and dw was again right on the rail with local children. Proteus was just ok, but thought Orpheus great. It had the most college bands and very generous in their throws. Best of all no sore feet. Got back to ship hungry at 11:30 and once again had to settle for pizza for dinner.

We were tired Tuesday and decided to skip Zulu which started at 8am and just go up for Rex two hours later. Followed Rex's progress on parade tracker and left ship at 11:30. Arrived at Julia / St. Charles and were surprised to catch the final 20 floats in Zulu. Heard they had experienced several breakdowns including 30+ minutes while they were there. Crowds were five deep when we arrived but thinned out considerably after 1pm. I focused on protecting my coconut. By the time Zulu passed Rex was right behind led by a large contingent of the Texas A&M drill team and a US marine corps band. Excellent parade, but our feet gave out after the first 20 floats and we headed back to the ship at 3pm. Too late for lunch but at least there were Celebrity burgers.

Final parade-watching note - after the Sunday and Monday parades march down St Charles they double back along Tchoupitoulas which is closer to the ship and has smaller crowds. Rex on Sunday ends at Canal & St Peters. Friends who were there reported massive amounts of throws near end of parade. Highly recommend Lafayette grandstands. IMO best position is front row on left side of "A"

Your grand stand seats sound like they were well worth it. I would have liked that.

The parades move at a snail's pace. I heard someone say that in warm weather they are slower and more faster if it is cold.

Every one is different and has a different level of comfort. Some will only book excursions through Celebrity, some only go independent. Many, many complained about the $249 per person charge for Grandstand seats charged by Celebrity. Should mention that a bus was provided at that price to go to parade and return. Also included a small seat fusion and poncho. Other paid between $30 and $65 online for the same Grandstand section. Saw the next day $249 parade about 1/2 block past Grandstand for free and met some great locals. I would not book the parade through Celebrity if there is a next time.

Loved the review... enjoyed the highlights and great photos Looked like great fun.

Crowds and standing for long periods of time not our cup of tea..so we are glad you "brought us along" with you

Thanks again...

Dragon, I am loving this. Thanks you. Could you tell me about the selection at the Elite breakfast? I was wondering if they served any sort of protein, yogurt,cheeses, sliced ham, ect. Thanks again.

Yes, there were sliced meats, cheese, yogurt and smoked salmon. In addition there was fruit, toasted bagels, mini muffins, etc.

Every one is different and has a different level of comfort. Some will only book excursions through Celebrity, some only go independent. Many, many complained about the $249 per person charge for Grandstand seats charged by Celebrity. Should mention that a bus was provided at that price to go to parade and return. Also included a small seat fusion and poncho. Other paid between $30 and $65 online for the same Grandstand section. Saw the next day $249 parade about 1/2 block past Grandstand for free and met some great locals. I would not book the parade through Celebrity if there is a next time.

At captains club event tonight sat next to woman who did the $249 grandstand. She wasn't very happy. Buses left ship at 5:30 so she waited almost two hours in grandstand before parade reached her. Then had to be back on bus for return at 9:30 causing her to miss last 90 minutes of parade. Had great view though.

Dragon - So sorry 709 disappointed. Everyone had really looked forward to it.

Wow, can't believe these pricing! Thanks for the heads up.

This cruise sound like a party cruise and not like the usual Celebrity laid back cruises. I am so happy that everyone have enjoyed this cruise.:)

I have enjoyed every one of your photos posted. Thanks and party on.

We're currently aboard with Dragon and hundreds of crazy, enthusiastic cc'ers. This was undoubtedly the best planned sailing we've ever been on. Lots of activities and camaraderie.

Looks like we have big shoes :D to fill in November!

I have read that Royal Caribbean has much better entertainment than Celebrity. I am not sure that on this cruise that is the case. [may not always be true]

We did not go to the production shows so I cannot compare those. However, I feel the headliners were just as good and I feel there is more [or as much] live music around the ship.

I can't remember them all but here is a sample:

Robbie Printz, comedian: I thought he was the best. He was very funny and was family friendly.

Jordan Bennet, singer: He had been on Broadway and did a routine of show tunes and other similar music with a little comedy thrown in. He was pretty good. I am not usually a show tunes kind of person. :)

Life, production show: Our dinner table mates liked this one

Topper, production show: We heard this one was not as good

Rondell Sheridan, comedian: Good

There was a live music dance/party each night at 10:30 mainly in the Sky lounge. [a couple of times on the pool deck] This went on until ~ midnight and then there was disco in one of the lounges [sky lounge or Quasar] If you wanted late night entertainment it was there. . . . I had usually had enough fun by midnight or so. I cannot tell you when it ended.