New Ship to Galveston

hulksmash

Hey,

If you send Liberty back to Ft Lauderdale, we will

send you one of the monstrosities (Harmony or Allure)

and a future draft pick.

Umm nope! I'm happy to keep Liberty right here. She's big enough for me!

Agree on all points - Liberty is a nice ship, Galveston is a logistical nightmare and would love to see some better itineraries. Carnival goes to Key West from here, I wish RC would. Would love to see ABC islands too.

Key West would be great, since we cruise out of Galveston a lot getting tired of same ports, also preferred when RCCL stopped at Ocho Rios much more around there then Falmouth

I'd love to see some new ports for the Liberty to visit. New Orleans? Key West? Cuba?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Liberty is likely too large for Key West. I couldn't agree more though. They could do some 9 nights and 5 nights like Navigator. Nine nights could go to St. Maarten and such.

Nothing against Liberty which we cruised last year and will cruise this year, but would love to have more entertainment and more restaurants which the bigger ships offer
Yeah, I hate smaller ships like Liberty. How dare RCI pawn off the tiny Liberty on Galveston when there seven (7)! cruise ships in the entire world larger (Harmony, Allure, Oasis, Quantum, Anthem, Ovation, Norwegian Escape). For shame!:rolleyes:

Yeah, I hate smaller ships like Liberty. How dare RCI pawn off the tiny Liberty on Galveston when there seven (7)! cruise ships in the entire world larger (Harmony, Allure, Oasis, Quantum, Anthem, Ovation, Norwegian Escape). For shame!:rolleyes:

Please don't send Anthem to us. Or NCL. Just sayin'

:confused:

And yet when you do a general search for cruises on the website the ones on Liberty are most often the cheapest ones that show up for 7 day cruises. They may be filling the ship but not at the same prices they get from other ports.

I am not big on airline travel , but going out of Miami on my old favorite The Navigator. Next year wondering what ships will be in Galveston . Noticed The Vision there for 4-5 day cruises and The Liberty for 7 days , which I have enjoyed. My impression was there was going to be a bigger ship than Vision, as the 2nd ship.Anyone else heard that ?

Actually considering a b2b on The Vision... but I have been on The Rhapsody, Jewel, Splendor ( small) , Serenade, Navigator., Liberty .

I would love some input on this . Smaller shop , 10 days???

:o

I'd love to see some new ports for the Liberty to visit. New Orleans? Key West? Cuba?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No kidding ! THe Navigator used to go to Key West , I went twice I like it so much ! New OrleAns would be fantastic , as well. I have mentioned this at the Diamond champagne parties on board . Is anyone listening ?

We just booked Vision for spring break 2018 too.

But I like the idea of the 9 night/5 night schedule for Liberty, at least for winter. Carnival is obviously having no trouble filling ships out of Galveston, and I'm sure some of those people would rather be on a RC ship given the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

We live in Texas and have been driving to Galveston and sailing on RCCL since 2003. It's so easy and we just hate to fly so we take the money saved by not flying and upgrade to a suite. We sailed on the Rhapsody many times and nearly came unglued when they relocated her to China! Afterwards came Voyager, Navigator (which we LOVE), and now we are waiting till fall to try out Liberty. We may be crazy but we don't care about the ports so much and always check to see how many ships are in port so we can make plans on going ashore. We love the service and the ships and we love Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.

My first cruises were with Holland America; I traveled with my parents for many years to make the trips easier for them and then 9-11 happened and security became too involved and stressful for my folks. We did a "practice cruise" out of Galveston on Carnival....ship was covered in children....but getting there and getting on board was a dream compared to driving to DFW and dealing with all the things one has to deal with traveling with elderly people. We tried RCCL and, except for one trip to Alaska on Holland America, we have been happy spending our vacations with RCCL going out of Galveston.

Cruising has changed a lot in the last 20 years and there's something out there for everyone. This works for us and we are looking forward to our first trip on the Liberty!

New ports are needed for Galveston based ships. We won't cruise from Galveston again unless they make some port changes/additions. Grand Cayman is great, Cozumel & Roatan are fair, but Belize & Costa Maya subpar. They need a Jamaican port near a beach.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Edited by julesbeara

We are booked on B2b 5 nighters in January 2018. We were on Vision in Oct 2016 in the Med. I hope Captain Slaby is still onbosrd. He's awesome.

Hey Karen: possibly Jan 26th, we're booked on that one!

And I'd love for Anthem to get sent here!! Hate flying into New Jersey!

I was just kidding. I find it hard to believe that Liberty is considered "old".

Bob, you had me worried for a minute. We are booked on LOS for August (first time out of Galveston) and I almost panicked when I saw your post. :o

I agree that it is strange to hear these ships referred to as old. I also cringe when I hear Majesty referred to as "tiny". We remember when she was the biggest (along with her sisters), newest, and most modern ship out there. In those days you still had 30+ year old ships all over the place. Anything less that 15 years old would surely not be considered "old". We still cruise on her and she still seems big enough for us. Liberty s still one of the "newer" ships to us. I guess it has to do with that "time compression" phenom that comes with age.

We look forward to Liberty and to seeing the Houston/Galveston area. Especially now that my heart rate is back down. :D

Galveston is not too convenient for those that fly. But I would hazard a guess that most of the passengers drive to this port. Years ago, we had dinner at the captains table and he said Galveston would never get a Voyager class ship because the channel was too narrow. ha

So never say never but I think Oasis class is unlikely. Not a huge fan of Oasis. We sailed it once and while we enjoyed it, it lacked a lot of the intimacy and friendliness we find on the other ships. LOVED Coastal Kitchen - wish they would make it fleetwide! I would love to see a Quantum class though.

Hey Karen: possibly Jan 26th, we're booked on that one!

And I'd love for Anthem to get sent here!! Hate flying into New Jersey!

I talked to Capt. Slaby. He gets off the ship on Jan 12.

Hey, girl. If you have any sailaway pics for me send them to internetwhiz52 at gmail dot com. Thanks.

Years ago, we had dinner at the captains table and he said Galveston would never get a Voyager class ship because the channel was too narrow. ha

I remember that discussion way back when they were first considering bringing in a Voyager class ship.

They solved it 2 ways. The first way is to back the ship in down the channel. The second way they do it is to move the ship a little bit away from the dock to a wider area in the channel and rotate the ship 180 degrees.

Another consideration is the depth of the channel and the draft of the ship. I want to say they've recently dredged the channel to a depth of 45 feet. The draft of Oasis is 30 feet.

The Royal Caribbean terminal at Galveston has been recently renovated, sometime last year between when we cruised in February and when we cruised in October. It's expanded. They now let people start checking in earlier and then put them in a very large holding lounge. It's made the check in process a lot less painful.