Coin Operated laundry on Royal Caribbean Ships?

Yes, I have. I have done 8 day, 9 day, and 14 day (B2B) cruises. I did not need to do laundry while on the cruise. Packed enough underwear for both of us, and enough cloths. It can be done with proper planning. If anything was soiled, I did hand wash it in the bathroom sink. Had enough cloths, just didn't want the clothing item to be stained.

I only take one 24 inch case and a backpack so I can't pack that much underwear for a 14 day cruise along with other clothes. I don't like to drag around large bags. Also I don't want to hand wash in the sink. I don't like a bag full of filthy clothes either. I also like to wear fresh clothes every day. To each their own. It's nice to have the coin machines as an option on the long trips. They also have irons so I can iron the wrinkles in my formal night shirts. Glad I booked Princess this summer.

Do you really think this is practical? .

The one time we did it, it worked well for us. We were on a TA that stopped in Halifax. With a bit of preparation we found a laundromat within walking distance of the ship. The place had wifi so we caught up during the wash cycle and then went geocaching during the dry cycle. This would only be practical with a smallish load.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Saw your earlier post, my answer was tongue in cheek for myself. Thinking my other half might want me to actually do a load of wash! The Laundromat idea seems utterly ridiculous to me to be honest. Again 9 day cruise B2B cruises, 54 day cruises, I'm on vacation, the laundry bags and pressing and dry cleaning I'm more than willing to add in to the total cost of the cruise. (y)

That is, of course, your choice :) I think it really depends on what you want to get out of your vacation. For example total relaxation, excitement, beach time, pampering or for some people (like me) connection with the local culture at the places I visit. I also like visiting local grocery stores to see what is available and learning how to use the local public transport. It isn't a financial decision for me - it is more about connection. However people want to travel and spend their vacation time is ok with me - everyone is different.

Thank god it hasn't been copied.

Your post and analogy makes zero sense! I could care less where people eat....:rolleyes:

But, apparently, you do care if they do laundry so I figured you would care about their entire vacation experience ....:rolleyes:

Edited by Ocean Boy

This thread has gotten ridiculous. Why does anyone care if someone wishes to do their own laundry, then insist on inserting their opinion how it somehow negates the 'vacation' feeling if one does their laundry or another would feel like they have to do it if facilities are available. Huh? Really? Is this what we've come to? I treasure my vacation time and don't care if you pay for your laundry, hang it on your balcony or don't do it at all. But I sure would like the option with a facility.

This thread has gotten ridiculous. Why does anyone care if someone wishes to do their own laundry, then insist on inserting their opinion how it somehow negates the 'vacation' feeling if one does their laundry or another would feel like they have to do it if facilities are available. Huh? Really? Is this what we've come to? I treasure my vacation time and don't care if you pay for your laundry, hang it on your balcony or don't do it at all. But I sure would like the option with a facility.

Yes it is what things have come to

"if you don't do it my way, you are wrong"

Seems to be the prevailing attitude.

Sad isn't it.

But, apparently, you do care if they do laundry so I figured you would care about their entire vacation experience ....:rolleyes:
That's twice on this post you have been wrong, never assume you know what that makes someone..:rolleyes:

I guarantee there is not one person on these threads that is to good to use a washing machine on a ship.

And the ones who say the never would, are the ones bringing the bag of quarters and soap with them.....

We used the laundry rooms on our Princess cruises but it's out of sight out of mind when we're sailing Royal. We've never used their laundry service. We'll be doing a B2B (Allure/Silhouette) in February so we may use Celebrities laundry service with our Elite benefit. I don't wish Royal had laundry rooms but we'd probably use them if they had them.

I guarantee there is not one person on these threads that is to good to use a washing machine on a ship.

And the ones who say the never would, are the ones bringing the bag of quarters and soap with them.....

It doesn't bother me if people want to spend time in a laundry room on their cruise but I can positively guarantee you that you will never see me doing it:D

Sherri:)

Yes it is what things have come to

"if you don't do it my way, you are wrong"

Seems to be the prevailing attitude.

Sad isn't it.

That was I read in those posts myself.

We often travel after our cruise, and I really appreciate being able to start on the next part of our adventure without searching out a laundromat to have clean clothes without packing a steamer trunk.

There is no way I'm trusting my clothes to a commercial laundry with their harsh detergents and hot water/dryer, even if I've reached diamond status and don't have to pay for laundry. I pay a lot of money for my undergarments, and they are washed in a lingerie bag and never see a dryer. My knits are also hung to dry. And I'm very careful with pre-treating spots. If a little of that Madeira sauce has hit some clothes, I don't want them going into a dryer and the stain becoming a permanent part of the clothing.

It takes a couple of minutes to throw a load of wash in the washer, go back to the cabin and sit on the balcony with a good book and a glass of wine, another few minutes to switch it to the dryer/put my clothes on hangers, another chapter and glass of wine, and my laundry is done and can be folded. I don't wash clothes by hand in a sink at home; that's surely not happening on my vacation.

The coin laundry and the coffee card are two reasons why we choose Princess over RCI if all others options are fairly similar.

• 9 months later...

We will be on B2B cruises with RCCL from 30 plus days. We almost cancelled when we found out the ship does not have coin laundries. The only reason we didn't was the itinerary (Singapore to Barcelona). They better re-think their strategy if they intend to stay in the long trip business. HAL, Princess and Viking have them. and next time we'll sail with one of those.

We will be on B2B cruises with RCCL from 30 plus days. We almost cancelled when we found out the ship does not have coin laundries. The only reason we didn't was the itinerary (Singapore to Barcelona). They better re-think their strategy if they intend to stay in the long trip business. HAL, Princess and Viking have them. and next time we'll sail with one of those.

I don't think RC is concerned much about losing business to HAL, Princess, and Viking. Different demographic than what RC is concentrating on these days.

We will be on B2B cruises with RCCL from 30 plus days....They better re-think their strategy if they intend to stay in the long trip business. HAL, Princess and Viking have them. and next time we'll sail with one of those.

Not going to happen, so it's up to you where you spend your cruise dollars. RCI generates a huge amount of revenue without self-service laundry. They have been doing fine so far without them.