Flight advice from the UK to USA

Pippafee

Last year we also found that by booking separate KLM flights from Europe to USA in euros and then a flight from Teesside to Amsterdam in pounds the business class flight across there was a great deal cheaper! I have been told that Dublin is the same. You may have to collect your case and check it in again though but for £1000 cheaper I was willing to put up with that.

Yes, it is ;). Get a cheap flight over to mainland Europe and then you can usually upgrade for the amount to go economy over here (keep that one quiet though or everyone will be doing it and up the prices will go :D).

Word of warning. I booked our own flights for our Zenith cruise end of January. Due to snow in Atlanta we were stuck there overnight not knowing if we'd get out the following day, when we were due to sail. Delta got us out first flight, but since then I've always booked at least two days early. We fly out five weeks today. Good example was flights today from Manchester were delayed thanks to Doris. But the Eclipse leaves on a Sunday so plenty of time for delays.

As someone said try skyscanner and set up an alert for the dates you require.

Word of warning. I booked our own flights for our Zenith cruise end of January. Due to snow in Atlanta we were stuck there overnight not knowing if we'd get out the following day, when we were due to sail. Delta got us out first flight, but since then I've always booked at least two days early. We fly out five weeks today. Good example was flights today from Manchester were delayed thanks to Doris. But the Eclipse leaves on a Sunday so plenty of time for delays.

One year to SJU Celebrity had a better flight /hotel deal so do compare with doing your own.

Last year we also found that by booking separate KLM flights from Europe to USA in euros and then a flight from Teesside to Amsterdam in pounds the business class flight across there was a great deal cheaper! I have been told that Dublin is the same. You may have to collect your case and check it in again though but for £1000 cheaper I was willing to put up with that.
But make sure you know exactly what you are doing and what you are letting yourself in for if you do this. By buying two tickets, you have two separate contracts with the airline(s) concerned. The first is to get you from Teesside to Amsterdam, and it is completely separate from the second which is to get you from Amsterdam to the US.

If your first flight is late and you miss your second flight, the first airline has still done its job by getting you to Amsterdam; and as far as the second airline is concerned you have simply failed to show up for your second flight and may have lost the entire value of your second ticket by doing so. In this situation, you do not have a connection. The first airline has no obligation to get you to your US destination, and the second airline has no obligation to reaccommodate you on another flight (unless you buy a super expensive flexible ticket, but that's hardly the object of the exercise). The same applies even if the two tickets are from the same airline.

So if you do this, you really must make sure you know what you are doing, what your risks are, and what your contingency plans are. The primary object of the exercise is to get to your cruise. Saving money is very much a secondary priority.

One year to SJU Celebrity had a better flight /hotel deal so do compare with doing your own.

So agree!

We always add a pre cruise two nighter when cruising from anywhere! We work it into our holiday plans and either get to enjoy a city break, beach break or crash out and then board our ship refreshed. Worse case scenario if there is an issue with flights we do have opportunities to still make our cruise.

We also think seasonal too. When flying from Manchester to Florida in January we chose a direct flight to Orlando which was dearer than via New York or Atlanta but much less risk of being grounded....

But make sure you know exactly what you are doing and what you are letting yourself in for if you do this. By buying two tickets, you have two separate contracts with the airline(s) concerned. The first is to get you from Teesside to Amsterdam, and it is completely separate from the second which is to get you from Amsterdam to the US.

If your first flight is late and you miss your second flight, the first airline has still done its job by getting you to Amsterdam; and as far as the second airline is concerned you have simply failed to show up for your second flight and may have lost the entire value of your second ticket by doing so. In this situation, you do not have a connection. The first airline has no obligation to get you to your US destination, and the second airline has no obligation to reaccommodate you on another flight (unless you buy a super expensive flexible ticket, but that's hardly the object of the exercise). The same applies even if the two tickets are from the same airline.

So if you do this, you really must make sure you know what you are doing, what your risks are, and what your contingency plans are. The primary object of the exercise is to get to your cruise. Saving money is very much a secondary priority.

And with the separate tickets, chances are you will have to check your luggage only to Amsterdam, reclaim it in Amsterdam, and then check it in for your second flight. Of course you will need to go through security again. Be sure your connection time allows for all this.

So agree!

We always add a pre cruise two nighter when cruising from anywhere! We work it into our holiday plans and either get to enjoy a city break, beach break or crash out and then board our ship refreshed. Worse case scenario if there is an issue with flights we do have opportunities to still make our cruise.

We also think seasonal too. When flying from Manchester to Florida in January we chose a direct flight to Orlando which was dearer than via New York or Atlanta but much less risk of being grounded....

Yes, we do the same. It's giving yourself as much time as possible to arrange contingency plans. Even if you pick up a flight as Globaliser explains above, it's giving enough time between those flights e.g. even if it means taking a cheap airport hotel overnight pre to that upgraded flight - it can still result in savings (and an extra few nights away) ;).

Thanks -looks like some homework to do ��. Notice X charge a fortune for 1 night hotel stay as well !

If you book via Celebrity, they are obliged to get you to the ship if there are flight delays.

We always book our air via Celebrity as they also include day hotel and transport. Most flights return to U.K. mid evening, so the day hotel is very welcome. One way fares are also a good deal.

Although we haven't done it, I'm told that if you fly MAN to Ireland, you complete US immigration before you board and fly direct to FLL.

US immigration can be a nightmare in Miami.

Edited by upwarduk

MIA has been a major immigration/customs nightmare but last year we experienced massive improvements. We were at the taxi rank within 45 mins. of landing. The work to rule due to the squeeze on government spent was removed and everything was normalised. Hope it stays that way !

We also book independently when going out to the USA as we g early to ensure we get 1 or 2 nights. Manchester to Atlanta, Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale with virgin. The last leg uses delta. We're doing it in Dec 17 and have booked via Expedia as it was half the price of booking direct. We normally go Lhr to Miami but the $100 cab to FLL is a nuisance, the 5 hour drive to Heathrow is annoying, as is switching BA from man to virgin out of Lhr. Switching in USA is easier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used Norweigan fortlauderdale to Copenhagen then onto Newcastle with SAS, as there was less than 24 hours between flights we were able to check the bags in at Copenhagen before heading to the hotel with hand luggage. It was a good experience and a great price, Janice

Many thanks for all the replies and advice . We decided to go with celebrity - they added a tailored made package - flights with BA Manchester to Heathrow to Miami - private transfers to FL - overnight stay then transfer to ship. Flights worked out just under ?500 each - flights are good times so happy 😉. To do this way was told at first would have to pay upfront but actually this wasn't the case - added to our overall bill. Looked at Skyscanner etc first cheapest fares were around ?400 but longer travel time in total and late night flights on way home. Thanks again 10 months to get excited now 😂

Alternatively there are many flights via Philadelphia or other hubs on American Airlines etc to Fort Lauderdale.

You can also fly from Manchester to FLL via Atlanta on Delta.

they saved us about $2500 for flights that I picked out. I think a lot of it depends on where you live and how many flights you need to take.

It also depends on the exact ticket X sells you. Sometimes they sell non-published fares that may have additional restrictions attached to them in exchange for the cheaper price.

Would this be a good reason to go via Dublin from Manchester

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/us-preclearance-facility

The OP was trying to avoid 2 connections. Flying via Dublin would mean connecting in Dublin, then connecting again in the US unless flying into MIA instead of FLL, but a MIA arrival requires a ground transfer to FLL.

I

Although we haven't done it, I'm told that if you fly MAN to Ireland, you complete US immigration before you board and fly direct to FLL.

Plenty of options to clear immigration elsewhere if one flies from MAN into another US city and then connect to FLL instead of MIA. But I see that the OP has since booked flights and is flying into MIA so it's a moot point for the OP, but something for others to consider.

it's worth getting a quote from X to compare... I used to believe that it would always be more expensive through the cruise line, but lately I've seen some really competitive prices, sometimes below the current published rate.

in any event, getting a quote to compare doesn't hurt... only takes a few minutes of your time and then you know for sure.

and as an added bonus, you don't have to pay for the air until your final payment date if you decide to go with them.

Agreed, definitely at least check X, as the site is now more like a normal internet airline search, and sometimes it is cheaper, and if you get travel insurance from X, it can be included as part of that package.

On my upcoming cruise, I did check X while also looking directly at the airlines and other booking sites, and X came in as the least expensive for the same flight I would have booked elsewhere.

X came in as the least expensive for the same flight I would have booked elsewhere.

Same flights does not always mean the same exact tickets. Cheaper tickets likely have different rules and restrictions, which might or might now end up mattering.

We booked with X as they were cheaper for flights from LHR to MIA at the time of booking the cruise (Tradewinds TA booked in Jan for April cruise).

The price of flights varied between ?360 to over ?1k for economy direct flights and changed daily.

Our flights were with BA flying with AA on a codeshare.

I've flown with Norwegian short haul in Europe and it was a better experience than the major airlines having better seats with more legroom, smoother check in and friendlier staff.

Once you find a price you are happy with book the flights then don't check prices again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same flights does not always mean the same exact tickets. Cheaper tickets likely have different rules and restrictions, which might or might now end up mattering.

Agreed, and folks using discount sites will likely find the same differences in rules and restrictions and should weigh those differences with the reduced cost and how important the rules and restrictions are.

For this particular trip, the (IMO, very trivial) differences were of no concern to me, and are common when using discount sites (would have had the same r/r on other discount/consolidators, but the price was still less - possibly because it was attached to an actual cruise on X, they were OK with lower or no fees on the flight).

YMMV

I have used Choice Air twice for international flights. My experience has been Choice Air has provided very good fairs for international, but is not so good for pure domestic flights...eg Miami to DC. A year ago on Millennium enroute between Hawaii and Vancouver, I had concerns about my Choice Air arranged flights from Vancouver to Washington DC. The Guest Relations folks on Mille called Choice Air via satellite and let me talk to Choice Air. I was probably on the phone for 35-40 minutes, but there was no charge to me. I was pleased.:D

I have literally just booked my flights for Jan 2018 for our cruise out of Miami. We are flying from Manchester direct to Orlando and flying back from Miami to London Heathrow, Via Expedia it was £350 return. All direct flights....You can also upgrade to extra legroom for 35-40quid each way. Flying with Virgin