Urgent shareholder advice - Carnival

(y)

From the CC Princess forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2462106

The CCL Corp stockholder OBC benefit has been extended to cover sailings through July 31, 2018.

This benefit is usually extended at this time every year.

For details, go to http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix....l-sharebenefit and click on the shareholder benefit link.

(y) (y)

• 2 years later...

I am looking at buying some CCL shares but am completely confused as to how best go about it. I don't really want to trade shares so don't particularly want a broker and my research has introduced me to a whole new range of possible fees and complications.

Can anyone give me advice as to the simplest, most economical way to buy US shares (specifically CCL) from Australia?

Good luck . There are a lot more “hoops” to jump through these days . Money laundering has made investing a bit more of a time and form filling process. Some Banks offer a share investing service and if your own does ,so much the better as at least you are known to them.

Because it's held in another country means there's more regulation and overhead and it's non standard for local banks so that means extra cost.

Also be aware as you mention you don't want to trade and don't have much else that some brokers will charge an inactivity fee i.e. they still need to pay annual custodian fees and reporting requirements for offshore holdings so if you're not doing anything else, they will pass those costs on. Don't just look at the brokerage cost but whether there are ongoing holding fees involved.

On 9/9/2019 at 6:03 PM, MicCanberra said:

We opened a trading account via the online banking with ANZ (most of the Main banks have them as well), takes a couple weeks to establish. We then bought the shares.

I did the same as few years ago, and now is a good time to buy them as the share price has dropped considerably in the past year or so. 

I've often wondered about buying CCL shares as we too are cruising more (located in Australia). It seems the main perk to having these shares is the OBC. My question is, is the OBC due to having CCL shares over and above what you get in an advertised deal, either through the cruise line or a TA? Thanks in advance.

Tracey.

Edited by laceytreigh
add notifications

Yes, the main perk is the OBC but only buy the shares if a) you can afford to and b) you want some shares as an investment. Do not buy them if you only want the OBC, that privilege can be removed at any time (either at the general meeting, annually or at an Extraordinary Meeting).

The OBC is different to what a TA or cruiseline will provide, this on board credit is either refundable (R-OBC) or non-refundable (NR-OBC) where as the OBC from being a shareholder is (SHB-OBC) and is non refundable.

You would need to have a close look at the dividend yield of the shares or their potential for capital growth then weigh that up against the value of  any perks. You may well find other shares that could do better.

ATM dividend yield is 4.2%. CBA shares are 5.37% and Westpac 6.36%. Current price is USD49.66. What is the minimum number sale parcel required?

Edited by lyndarra
Clarification of point

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, the main perk is the OBC but only buy the shares if a) you can afford to and b) you want some shares as an investment. Do not buy them if you only want the OBC, that privilege can be removed at any time (either at the general meeting, annually or at an Extraordinary Meeting).

The OBC is different to what a TA or cruiseline will provide, this on board credit is either refundable (R-OBC) or non-refundable (NR-OBC) where as the OBC from being a shareholder is (SHB-OBC) and is non refundable.

50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

44 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

You would need to have a close look at the dividend yield of the shares or their potential for capital growth then weigh that up against the value of  any perks. You may well find other shares that could do better.

ATM dividend yield is 4.2%. CBA shares are 5.37% and Westpac 6.36%. Current price is USD49.66. What is the minimum number sale parcel required?

100 shares are needed for the OBC benefit.

I bought 100 shares a couple of months ago. To avoid ongoing custody fees and inactivity fees I opened an account and purchased the shares through Stake (stake.com.au). There is no brokerage, they make their money from foreign exchange when you convert funds from AUD to USD so that you can purchase the shares. There was a $5 fee to cover the cost of completing the necessary US form. Account setup was completed in a day, and I transferred funds and purchased shares a few days later. The process was not difficult.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:40 AM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Good luck . There are a lot more “hoops” to jump through these days . Money laundering has made investing a bit more of a time and form filling process. Some Banks offer a share investing service and if your own does ,so much the better as at least you are known to them.

Bought ours through our bank without having to open a share account  no problems and the best price

On 9/11/2019 at 11:29 PM, Relaxing Robbies said:

I bought 100 shares a couple of months ago. To avoid ongoing custody fees and inactivity fees I opened an account and purchased the shares through Stake (stake.com.au). There is no brokerage, they make their money from foreign exchange when you convert funds from AUD to USD so that you can purchase the shares. There was a $5 fee to cover the cost of completing the necessary US form. Account setup was completed in a day, and I transferred funds and purchased shares a few days later. The process was not difficult.

Thanks all for the responses so far, I am interested in stake.com.au and can see the potential as my bank (St George) appears to have some rather prohibitive fees. Some more questions though:

* How does one prove to Carnival that you own the shares? Do you get a paper copy? Do you just supply a listing on some register?

* My reading on stake.com.au indicates that they don't actually provide any physical evidence of the shares. if one decided to sell later on would you have to use them or could you transfer the shares to another broker?

I know that to some these questions would look incredibly naive but I'm afraid I'm still stuck in the old world. I just can't comprehend how anyone can buy Bitcoin and have some transient, digital record of their assets. I much prefer to hold the cash in my hand.

Thanks again to all.

1 hour ago, nnps said:

Thanks all for the responses so far, I am interested in stake.com.au and can see the potential as my bank (St George) appears to have some rather prohibitive fees. Some more questions though:

* How does one prove to Carnival that you own the shares? Do you get a paper copy? Do you just supply a listing on some register?

* My reading on stake.com.au indicates that they don't actually provide any physical evidence of the shares. if one decided to sell later on would you have to use them or could you transfer the shares to another broker?

After purchasing the shares I had to wait until the end of the month and then email Stake and request a monthly statement. When I received that I then used the statement to apply for onboard credit for my booked cruises. For a Carnival US cruise I faxed the details. Credits were applied within a few days.  For Carnival Aus cruises I tried to fax, but a recorded message said to check the number before trying again. I ended up emailing the details to them. It took several weeks to receive an email advising that the onboard credits had been applied.

The faq section on Stake advises that it is possible to transfer your shares to another broker, but there are fees that apply, depending on which system your new broker uses.

• 3 weeks later...