Can we see the volcano erupting?

hollydog

Has anyone been on the Star or Grand lately and seen the volcano erupting? I know we can go to Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island, but am also wondering if it's visible from the ship? We'll be on the Star sailing March 13.

The Princess excursion to the park won't get you anywhere near a place to see the eruptions. You will see very little. If you've been to Yellowstone you have seen vastly more in the way of volcanic activity than you will see with the Princess tour. Heck, I've seen more stuff locally in northern California than I saw in Hawaii during our brief port stops. Seeing eruptions from the ship will not happen for you. You will need to book a private excursion.

Hawaii and volcano eruptions are kind of like folks who visit Alaska and are peeved because they don't see grizzly bears catching salmon in the rivers. Great photos for promotional purposes but not something you will see on the Princess excursions.

Has anyone been on the Star or Grand lately and seen the volcano erupting? I know we can go to Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island, but am also wondering if it's visible from the ship? We'll be on the Star sailing March 13.

I don't think it's visible from the Ship. We've considered doing an excursion to see it, but it's so unknown.... the likelihood of a volcano erupting depends on luck kind of. If it was erupting the day before you might be lucky enough to have it erupting the day after, but who knows. "Yesterday" it may not have erupted, but "today" it might.

Perhaps someone knows a scientific explanation to when volcanoes erupt to help, but my "research" has lead me to believe it's luck of the draw. lol

Pu'u O'o is the only vent "erupting" now. Recently, a newly formed lava shelf collapsed. It was a hefty hike from outside the park (south end of the island). Not sure if the lava flow is still entering the ocean.

https://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

https://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php

From the Jaggar Museum, you may be able to view the lava pool in Halemaumau Crater. It is best to be seen in the evening (after the ship has sailed). The level rises and falls daily.

If you really want to "see" lava flowing (if it is visible above ground), the best bet is to take a helicopter ride over the expansive area (I've done that with the doors off). I was fortunate to view Kilauea Iki in 1959 up close and person. I've seen Halemaumau at night...in the rain...cold....

Rent a car while in Hilo and take your time at the National Park.

The current itineraries don't sail near the coast where lava is flowing into the ocean so you will have no view from the ship. The best alternative is a vary expensive helicopter ride.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A couple of points... First, here is the official USGS website for the current status of Kilauea activity:

https://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php.

Check it periodically, especially just before your trip. Second, Kilauea doesn't "erupt" like the spectacular pictures you see of volcanoes in Italy, South America, Mexico, etc.; it mostly 'oozes" molten lava out through multiple 'vents' on the sides. It's been doing this constantly, to varying degrees, since the 1980's. Sometimes this ooze can be pretty spectacular, sometimes just a faint glow with smoke rising into the air. There is no way to predict what it will be doing at any point in time - you just take your chances.

Finally, even when the ships usually don't take the route that would allow you to view any activity at night, there have been cases when some ships have altered their route if something really spectacular is going on (though it's been a number of years since I heard of that happening). Good luck - hope you get to see something great, but even it's not very active, the scenery is surreal and something you'll never forget.

Last September we were on the Celebrity Solstice on a Hawai'i itinerary. Our first port was Kona and our second port Hilo. On our transit from Kona to Hilo around 11pm we passed by the lava fields with lava pouring into the ocean over about a two or three mile area. We were so close we could feel a bit of heat. The Captain lingered there for 30 or 45 minutes. He spun the ship around 360 degrees in place so everyone got a GREAT view! Huge plums of smoke rising in the air, a loud hissing sound, and the fire and red glow looked like the gates of hell. It was spectacular! Truly a lifetime bucket list experience.

We are on the Star, March 13 sailing. We hope we get the experience again but we are doubtful. I don't think the routing will pass this area, and volcanic activity at the shore is very unpredictable.

FWIW, we much preferred Kona to Hilo. Lahaina on Maui is great.

Believe me. On a cruise to Alaska you don't want to see one in eruption. There are about 40 active volcanoes in Alaska, most on the Aleutian Islands, the Alaska Peninsula and along Cook Inlet. Very few cruise ships venture into the Aleutians or at the western portions of the Alaska Peninsula, unless on world cruises. Four are in Cook Inlet not all that far from Anchorage.

The reason I say you don't want to be around when one goes off is that when do they blow ash is everywhere. Most Alaskan volcanoes are of the Startovolcanoe variety not like the Shield volcanoes in Hawaii with their pretty lava flows, Alaska eruptions are a lot dirtier and lava flows not as pronounced or visible to spectators. There is a good chance your flight might be delayed as well, since ash particles make dangerous operating conditions for turbojet aircraft engines. We happened to be in Anchorage when Mount Spurr erupted in 1953. As kids then we thought it to be a great experience. Since then though, now that we live in Anchorage, we have been through at least six more eruptions, one more with Spurr, one with Augustine, three with Redoubt and one with Pavlof. In addition, other eruptions in the Aleutian chain have disrupted airline schedules a number of times for us. One time I got stuck in Juneau for just about a week, it was just before Christmas and our son in college got stuck in Seattle at the same time.

Ash is a real mess to clean up plus very hard on your car engine and it hangs around a long time. In short, volcanic eruptions here are a real pain in the Ash.

We just got off the Star on Wednesday (couldn't figure out how to stowaway!!). First, Captain Tuvo is the absolute BEST! He did come on the intercom and announced that the lava flowing into the ocean was not currently visible and it appeared to me that he would've altered the ship's course if it had been. We went on the Land of Frozen Fire tour and could see the steam from where we were located but no actual lava. Others I talked to on the ship went to Volcanoes National Park but did not see the lava.

Our guide did say that not too long ago (in January) there was some event that had the lava doing some spectacular "fireworks" as I believe a lava shelf broke into the sea (sorry...can't remember exactly what he called it). Not sure if it was viewable by land or just sea and air.

In any case, the cruise was fantastic and I'm envious! Have a blast.

On our Star Cruise, we drove to the area where some venting was going on and newer lava flows could be seen on top of the ground (pics attached)

http://s871.photobucket.com/user/mtjsr/media/DSC01946_1.jpg.html]DSC01946_1.jpg[/url]

http://s871.photobucket.com/user/mtjsr/media/DSC01942_1.jpg.html]DSC01942_1.jpg[/url]

http://s871.photobucket.com/user/mtjsr/media/DSC01937.jpg.html]DSC01937.jpg[/url]

DSC01930.jpg

Just got home from Star's 2/7 sailing. We could see some molten lava on the "Tastes of Hawaii" tour. That tour took us to the Jaggar museum, and from the outdoor viewing areas, you could see the lava spewing up. However, we could not see lava flows from the ship at any time.

Have fun!!!

~Kathryn