Debarkation: getting off a Royal Caribbean ship fast

eskiemomo

We have not sailed on Royal Caribbean ships for about 9 or so years and so I'm interested in any tips to get off the ship quickly.

In the past, it seemed like every RCCL sailing regardless of ship, we were herded out of cabins and into public areas on the morning of debarkation and can wait for a long time with our luggage until our group/number is called. In order to avoid this I discovered if I booked an excursion the morning of debarkation we were given priority and therefore quickly whisked off the ship and onto a tour bus. This is a MUST because of traveling with small children who cannot wait in ship lounges for hours with luggage.

Is this still true for RCCL? We're sailing Vision of the Seas out of Galveston, but in my experience the debarkation procedures are the same fleet wide.

thank you for any tips!

If you Self-Assist Disembark, do you have to take ALL of your luggage with you or can you leave some that will be taken off the ship for you and you pick it up at the terminal (or wherever the luggage pick up place is)?

Not only do you have to take all your luggage off, but you have to do it with no help, no carts, and you may have to traverse stairs if the elevators are jammed.

With all this being said about picking up your luggage; where do you pick it up at? Is it in the terminal on a carousal like at an airport (forgive me for my dumb question, I am a first time cruiser who now has less then 25 days until CRUISE TIME!!!).

Some terminals might have carousels (thinking terminal 10 in Port Canaveral), but the majority just place them in the terminal building in sections according to the luggage tag number.

Galveston typically has the worst self disembark from everything I've read and experienced myself. A HUGE percentage of people do it and the lines were ridiculous for a post spring break cruise. Just know that there will be a line and it will still be faster than waiting to be called but it's no Fort Lauderdale walk off either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the 2 of us and our 2 small children, we manage to pack 2 roller suitcases and self assist painlessly.

When we did Oasis last year in July, we walked down at 6:45AM and there was not a single line all the way through customs. Just literally walk right down and off the ship. It was great. We got out as fast as we could walk. We were in our car by 7AM.

I'm not sure I see the need to have Royal take your luggage for you. It just saves the relatively short distance from the ship to the terminal, of which there are elevators in both. We always self assist. Just so much easier.

To go through and find your luggage again to save 100 yards of walking with it seems insane to me.

Galveston typically has the worst self disembark from everything I've read and experienced myself. A HUGE percentage of people do it and the lines were ridiculous for a post spring break cruise. Just know that there will be a line and it will still be faster than waiting to be called but it's no Fort Lauderdale walk off either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've done self assist out of Galveston twice and beat the rush and haven't had a problem. However heard of horror stories happening behind us. We usually sail during spring break and the Galveston cruises fell during Easter week both times with a large number of Mexican nationals, which slowed the customs line.

Also the custom agents don't seem quite as congenial as the Florida based ports.

We've done self assist out of Galveston twice and beat the rush and haven't had a problem. However heard of horror stories happening behind us. We usually sail during spring break and the Galveston cruises fell during Easter week both times with a large number of Mexican nationals, which slowed the customs line.

Also the custom agents don't seem quite as congenial as the Florida based ports.

We've found that getting a porter helps speed the way through the Galveston terminal.

We've done self assist out of Galveston twice and beat the rush and haven't had a problem.

What time, or how early ahead of stated time, do you go to the designated area on the ship to "beat the rush"? We always think we are leaving our rooms early enough but are stunned to find half the ship already waiting to get off. :o

or you can book a suite and walk off with the conceirge and pass everyone that's waiting. Best perk to getting a suite.

Not sure if its the best perk, but a really nice perk, suites looked really cheap on Vision compared to some ships, also get a porter even with suite

What time, or how early ahead of stated time, do you go to the designated area on the ship to "beat the rush"? We always think we are leaving our rooms early enough but are stunned to find half the ship already waiting to get off. :o

We are typically are one of the first in line at the Windjammer for breakfast and then head to our stateroom for our luggage and get in line to disembark. Usually in line 30 minutes prior to the stated time for both. We drove both both times to Galveston and wanted to get on the road as early as possible and not be delayed in customs.

I think it's different on different ships. But on Oasis, I asked customer service and the lady told me 6:45AM for self disembark, which is after the initial line. We left our cabin and walked down and straight off the ship, no line whatsoever.

We did the same on Carnival in October as well.