Are dock workers Longshoremen?

Roce48

I thought that dock workers were Longshoremen. When I dropped off my luggage last week at Port Everglades they boldly solicited a tip for the Porters asking "Would you like to leave a tip for the Porter". Crass!

And after tipping, they lost my luggage until I found it at Guest Services.

When I dropped off my

If it made it to guest services, then the port workers did NOT lose it. They do not accompany it onto the ship.

If it made it to guest services, then the port workers did NOT lose it. They do not accompany it onto the ship.

Could have been something in bag triggered a security hold[emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The porters are not longshoremen

I thought that dock workers were Longshoremen. When I dropped off my luggage last week at Port Everglades they boldly solicited a tip for the Porters asking "Would you like to leave a tip for the Porter". Crass!

I think this depends on which port you are at. Curbside porters may not be longshoremen, but I think it would be rare that they aren't, and the guys that take the luggage carts from the curbside area, through security and onto the ship are definitely longshoremen.

The reason I say it would be rare if they were not longshoremen is that the cruise terminals are public piers, and at virtually every public pier, the workers all belong to the Longshoremen's Union. Their contracts usually require everyone on the dock, regardless of job, to be a union member. They may be employed by a different company than the guys driving the forklifts, but they are most likely union brothers.

The porters who work the cruise ships are members of the ILA.

They also work the loading and unloading of ships other than cruise ships.

I can not speak for other ports but in Baltimore any porter found to be soliciting tips would be immediately dismissed and sent home.

The ILA covers all ports from Maine to Texas that are signature to the master and local contracts this either being ship side or land side with all csrgo

The porters who work the cruise ships are members of the ILA.

They also work the loading and unloading of ships other than cruise ships.

I can not speak for other ports but in Baltimore any porter found to be soliciting tips would be immediately dismissed and sent home.

The ILA covers all ports from Maine to Texas that are signature to the master and local contracts this either being ship side or land side with all csrgo

Absolutely correct. I am a mortgage loan officer in Ft Lauderdale and have done several loans for individuals who are members of ILA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I m surprised they'd have to solicit tips everyone knows your supposed to tip them .I guess they have to remind people now and then.

But if you knew they make from $70k to well into six figures, depending on seniority and hours worked, would you still feel compelled to tip them?

The West Coast union, the ILWU, makes higher than the ILA on the Gulf and East Coast, but it is still significant cash. The ILWU, a couple years ago, was found that 50% of the workers earned over $100k, and supervisors made over $200k, some as high as $350k.

The West Coast union, the ILWU, makes higher than the ILA on the Gulf and East Coast, but it is still significant cash. The ILWU, a couple years ago, was found that 50% of the workers earned over $100k, and supervisors made over $200k, some as high as $350k.

I had no idea. I wonder if this is a tough union to get into?

I had no idea. I wonder if this is a tough union to get into?

It helps if you know or are related to a member. Rookies are assigned all the scut jobs, like bulkers or working on days when it is predicted to rain cats and dogs.

The ILA and the ILWU are among the few unions that have real clout these days, witness the shutdown on the West Coast a couple of years ago.

It helps if you know or are related to a member. Rookies are assigned all the scut jobs, like bulkers or working on days when it is predicted to rain cats and dogs.

The ILA and the ILWU are among the few unions that have real clout these days, witness the shutdown on the West Coast a couple of years ago.

That would also explain the salaries.

The folks who take your bags OUTSIDE of the terminal are not ship employees....neither are the folks at the "check in" desk, even tho they may have on a ship's logo uniform! Just so you know!

Along with the so called photographers, and those working in the shops and spa on the ship are not RCI employees.

The folks who take your bags OUTSIDE of the terminal are not ship employees....neither are the folks at the "check in" desk, even tho they may have on a ship's logo uniform! Just so you know!

The exception being Disney - those are Disney cast members in Port Canaveral.