No food for trip home?

skrapngal

There is a good reason most countries ha ve such laws. The WORst , than can happen is you won't be caught with what you smuggle i could cause infestastion that does efvironmental damge or qgriculture diseases etc

How important is this?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2884469/women-found-smuggling-horse-genitals-and-meat-concealed-in-juice-cartons-through-airport-claim-its-for-medicinal-purposes/

I was thinking the same thing. This bus makes no stops for 12 hours? Can a bus even drive that far without stopping for refueling? Does the driver not need to eat?

The bus will stop along the way. The few Greyhounds/Amtrak busses I've taken have mandatory rest stops for the driver. These have always been at places where there are fast food restaurants.

Yeah, and someone bringing a sandwich off the ship could potentially wipe out the entire region, right? Humans, themselves, are the biggest spreaders of disease...not things. But, since you can't feasibly prevent folks from traveling, you have to pick on the lowest hanging fruit. (pun intended)

I always got a kick out of the agricultural inspection stations in California, miraculously preventing fruit flies from entering their state. Problem is, the stations are positioned well inside the state. Maybe the Dept. Of Ag. figures the flies are like illegal aliens and will respect the borders and laws of the state, and not just fly around the station.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The CA AG stations are not near the AG regions.

Back in the late 80's early 90's. Southern California was experiencing a severe infestation of the Mediterranean Fruit Fly. The first thing Vector Control did was to recommended that we don't exchange back yard fruit. That didn't work.

The final idea was to crop dust whole neighborhoods with Malathion. All outdoor animals had to be taken in, cars and jungle gyms had to be fully covered as did anything else outside. The next day everything had to be scrubbed down. Malathion is very sticky Ever scrub down a jungle gym? We're were sprayed several times over the summer as Malathion only works on adult flies. Did I mention this was in Southern CA, in the summer? Couldn't run the AC or fans. Miserable time.

You do know that CA produces up to 70% of US foodstuffs?

We're now experiencing an Asian Psylliad infestation.

ETA- it is now Vector Control yellow trap season.

ETA2-- you're right Human are the biggest spreader of diseases whether we have internal viruses (measles at Disneyland) or carry things in our bags.

We prevent what we can.

I invite you to bring foodstuffs into Australia. lol.

Edited by SadieN

Give me your address. I'll send you the $5 you will save. Then your life can go on. It is just silly of you to go on a cruise, pay for a expensive flight, go on excursions etc and then want to cheap out to save under $20. Either that or you just want to put this out there to get everyone riled up.

Give me your address. I'll send you the $5 you will save.

Then your life can go on.

It is just silly of you to go on a cruise, pay for a expensive flight, go on excursions etc

and then want to cheap out to save under $20.

Either that or you just want to put this out there to get everyone riled up.

im-starving_o_201986.jpg

How many here have lost weight on a cruise?

We have an 8 hour drive to the border... trust me, the Canada/US border dogs won't be an issue, food will be long gone by then LOL
No, you have to pass through US Customs when you leave the ship. The fines for bringing food into the US are UNBELIEVABLY HUGE.

From this website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

You must declare all food products. Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties.

The bus will stop along the way. The few Greyhounds/Amtrak busses I've taken have mandatory rest stops for the driver. These have always been at places where there are fast food restaurants.

I didn't see where it was mentioned that the bus was Greyhound/Amtrak.

I couldn't believe that the passengers didn't know that this wasn't allowed.

I once forgot I had a bagel in my backpack. My niece put it in there to rake back o,her little sister in their cabin., We got distracted talking to a another family member.and ended up forgetting to take it out before we left the ship for the day. I was definitely reprimanded. It was an honest mistake. I wasn't trying to be sneaky. And I did know it wasn't allowed. I just forgot I had it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

you might have a problem with fruit but otherwise not to worry

So wrong! Non-commercially prepackaged uninspected food of any kind, including proteins, is verboten. PLEASE be considerate of the agricultural areas you pass through. It's what you don't/can't see in prohibited food/sand/vegetation/etc that can decimate a region's livelihood.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't see where it was mentioned that the bus was Greyhound/Amtrak.

It didn't. MY experience is with those two. Talking with friends, MegaBus and Bolt bus are similar. The drivers have to pee somewhere.

Now on page 5, because someone wants to save a few dollars smuggling food off a ship for a 12 hour bus ride!

I would gladly pay extra just to get a couple of stops to break up a trip from hell like that. A cup of warm soup, a small sandwich - after many hundreds on a cruise, that small savings does not seem worth the hassle.

Now on page 5, because someone wants to save a few dollars smuggling food off a ship for a 12 hour bus ride!

Can change settings to show 40 posts on a page, 50 posts on the mobile site.

Just read in one thread that it wouldn't be allowed? I know that dogs at Customs/Border patrol in Bayonne smell luggage, but do they smell your backpack?

Just REread the OPs post. Since she's been a CC member for 6 years, I'm going to assume this isn't her first rodeo, and she's aware of all of the warnings posted on every ship about taking food off the ship. She's really just seemed to be asking what the odds are that she won't get caught. PPs have shown the penalties for trying this, and they can be heavy. Definitely not worth the long term ramifications just to save $10.

Just REread the OPs post. Since she's been a CC member for 6 years, I'm going to assume this isn't her first rodeo, and she's aware of all of the warnings posted on every ship about taking food off the ship. She's really just seemed to be asking what the odds are that she won't get caught. PPs have shown the penalties for trying this, and they can be heavy. Definitely not worth the long term ramifications just to save $10.

Agreed -- of course there is some dark element in the psyches of many cruisers which leads them to seek to achieve minor savings by adopting cheesy tactics. Some savings are significant: stiffing staff by removing auto-gratuities, smuggling liquor in mouthwash bottles are the big ones - but there is always someone who wants to sneak food ashore --- and, one must assume, there will be those who steal spoons to supplement their at-home dinnerware.

It may be because the large price tag of a cruise makes them automatically feel that they are being overcharged and therefore entitled to get something back - but whatever the reason, there is a broad vein of venality shown by posters on CC.

It's Potatoes, you can't carry potatoes into Canada. Read the rules on food imports! The dogs can smell a banana in a backpack and they will tell you to set it down. The dog, if your are caught and headed for prison will sit beside your backpack.

It is illegal to take food off any cruise ship. Dont you listen to the message that is played repeatedly at every port of call. If you can afford to go on a cruise you can afford to pay for a wrap during your bus trip. I am sure it wont break the bank.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

When we got off the ship at either Ft Lauderdale or Miami, as we exited the ship, I believe I saw signs about NOT taking any foods off ship, followed by another one a little further down with a basket in for you to deposit any "no-no's". At the end of the "jetway" as you entered the terminal....there was an agent standing there with the BIGGEST German Shepard I have ever seen. I'm 5'6 and I bet that dogs head came to my elbow, no way I was gonna mess with him or the agent either. As stated before....get up early and fill yourself up with breakfast.....